PDA

View Full Version : New competitor for ugliest scroll

dchilds
Jul-31-2017, 4:37pm
NFI - Found on Nashville Craigslist. I just don't even know where to start with this one, but I just had to share.

Check all the photos at https://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/d/custom-vaughn-style-mandolin/6241737423.html. I just wonder how it sounds. :confused:

JEStanek
Jul-31-2017, 7:11pm
You should add that to this thread (https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?27472-Worst-scroll-of-the-last-century).

Jamie

Dave Hanson
Aug-01-2017, 1:16am
that is one ugly mandolin.

Dave H

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-01-2017, 4:07am
''Custom'' built as well !. I applaud the amount of work taken to build something so 'not right'. I do however,like the bridge & tailpiece,:disbelief:
Ivan;)

MikeZito
Aug-01-2017, 6:25am
I almost laughed out loud when I read in the description: 'Not a kit'.

Wow, could have fooled me! I would have sworn it came straight out of a Stewart-MacDonald catalog!

Right . . . . . .

Bertram Henze
Aug-01-2017, 6:37am
A true masterpiece of Vogon luthierie.

Hubs
Aug-01-2017, 6:44am
Nice "seehorse- holes"

Louise NM
Aug-01-2017, 8:47am
Yes, they allow one to see the masonite back.

Bertram Henze
Aug-01-2017, 8:55am
The broken-off headstock scroll seems to indicate what Bill Monroe thought about it.

Austin Bob
Aug-01-2017, 9:48am
For the sake of discussion, if you played that and were simply blown away by the sound, would you buy it and use as your main instrument on stage?

I don't think I would. I might play it on a recording, but I don't think I'd take it out in public no matter how good it sounded. Even though 80% of the audience wouldn't know what kind of an instrument it was, I'd still be embarrassed by it.

Bertram Henze
Aug-01-2017, 10:14am
For the sake of discussion, if you played that and were simply blown away by the sound, would you buy it and use as your main instrument on stage?

...in that case, you can buy it, take it home, place it on a chair beside your bed, and when you wake up the next morning it will have turned into a beautiful Gibson F5.
Either that, or you will have turned into Jabba the Hutt when you wake up.

Me, I'd not take any chances and cover my ears when it's being played.

JEStanek
Aug-01-2017, 10:38am
If it sounds good it is good. There are other Non-traditional F5 shapes out there that command really high prices. That said, this looks pretty rough. It really would have to play and sound good. I wouldn't pay a premium for that look either.

Jamie

Explorer
Aug-01-2017, 10:57am
Some other forums clearly have the wrong idea about the best ways to promote their chosen instruments. They foolishly have rules against denigrating fellow musicians and builders, just in case the losers being insulted are members. They mstakenly think the best way to build a community is to be inclusive.

As always, I applaud making fun of fellow mandolin enthusiasts, whether builders or players, who don't measure up to the Cafe's community standards. There's nothing better for driving away undesirables from this overcrowded community than open derision, and the beginners' knowledge that they might be openly mocked no matter how motivated they might be.

Well done!

Bertram Henze
Aug-01-2017, 11:56am
If either the builder or the seller are Cafe members, they should not be surprised, given the existing long running threads on scrolls and ads. I have built terrible creations myself, decades ago, and would not hesitate to publish photos of them here for your pleasure, but alas, they exist no more. It never occurred to me to sell any of them for real money, though.

Experience says someone will buy it. They may even be Cafe members who would missed out on the ad without this thread. If I liked it, I would not be deterred by personal taste of others.

Denny Gies
Aug-01-2017, 1:12pm
Gets my vote.

ccravens
Aug-01-2017, 3:07pm
Mine too!

(He says in open derision...)

BrianWilliam
Aug-01-2017, 8:25pm
Ha! Someone needs to give lumpy a home :)

Steve-o
Aug-01-2017, 9:30pm
Some other forums clearly have the wrong idea about the best ways to promote their chosen instruments. They foolishly have rules against denigrating fellow musicians and builders, just in case the losers being insulted are members. They mstakenly think the best way to build a community is to be inclusive.

And heck, they even eschew banjo jokes all in the name of diversity and inclusion.

Jess L.
Aug-01-2017, 11:43pm
For the sake of discussion, if you played that and were simply blown away by the sound, would you buy it and use as your main instrument on stage? ...

I'd be tempted to incorporate the odd-looking instrument into the act, make it work, turn it into a feature rather than a liability.

Depends on what kind of stage though.

Trad strict bluegrass, probably not, audience not likely to appreciate it since it's different than what they're used to.

But something like punk rock or whatever, heh are there any rules about mandolin shape there? :)

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-02-2017, 3:29am
I've posed Austin Bob's question on here a few times myself. Just how much 'non-conformity' to the norm could you put up with for an awesome sound/tone ??. I could put up with a bit,but this one's a tad too outre even for me - that scroll is an entity in itself !,
Ivan

Marty Jacobson
Aug-02-2017, 11:13pm
A true masterpiece of Vogon luthierie.

Only made to show the ugliness of the maker's soul into harsh relief!

I've posed Austin Bob's question on here a few times myself. Just how much 'non-conformity' to the norm could you put up with for an awesome sound/tone ??. I could put up with a bit,but this one's a tad too outre even for me - that scroll is an entity in itself !,
Ivan

Oh, there are uglier ones out there, believe me. This is only halfway down the list

Dave Hanson
Aug-03-2017, 12:34am
In reality it's more of a knob than a scroll.

Dave H

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-03-2017, 3:10am
From Marty Jacobson - "Oh, there are uglier ones out there, believe me...". Marty - if you know where they are - keep 'em to yourself,
Ivan:grin:

9lbShellhamer
Aug-08-2017, 8:06am
That ain't no part of nuthin. ;)