PDA

View Full Version : 12" or 10" speakers for electric mando

wmr
Jun-21-2005, 1:07pm
Just curious to see what the masses prefer. I normally play through a twin reverb 65 reissue w/ 2x12. I just got a musicman 2x 10" combo and could not believe how much better 2x10 sounds. I even plugged the twin into the speaker cab of the musicman and it sounded better than just through the twin 2x12. It seems that the notes sound tighter. Not sure what the correct term would actuall be but tighter is what I am using to describe. I was playing a 5 string rono and a 5 string mann.

Thanks!!!

Lee
Jun-21-2005, 1:15pm
What brand speakers are in both? #Fender's stock Eminence speakers aren't great. #I have a Deluxe Reverb Reissue and it sounds much better though a Celestion Vintage 30. #The Celestion G12H sounds too dark and woofy.
Go to www.fenderforum.com

wmr
Jun-21-2005, 2:34pm
Stock fender speakers in the twin reverb and stock musicman speakers in the musicman.

steve in tampa
Jun-21-2005, 2:40pm
I have always preferred the 12" speakers over 10". Seem to get a better balanced bottom. Put it on a couple of 2/6's to get it off the floor, or tilt it back on the wall.

Just got rid of a Fender Princeton Chorus with 10"s. Sounded good at low volumes, but had no real ballz. One of the best amps I ever had was an old Peavey 2/12 Reverb. Wish I still had it. Got a Peavey PA with 12" and horns.

Christian McKee
Jun-21-2005, 5:12pm
I tend to prefer the warmth of 12" speakers. So far the smaller speakers I've played have sounded either pinched at worst, or a bit shallow at best.

Christian

mandroid
Jun-21-2005, 7:57pm
third choice, given 2 to choose from.
It's not in a cabinet yet, building inside a shallow 10 unit wooden shell rack case, for the transport covers.
I got a closeout on a Selenium co-axial,
[ the Ti compression driver/horn,is hidden behind a mesh center dome]
a 15" driver. ["15CO1P-SLF"]

waffled on the 12Co, till all that was left was the 15,
but it was down to a hundred bux, then.
[ for the 2 drivers,includes crossover,not too bad]
specs,8 ohm, rms: 250 watts; 40-20Khz ; should be good enough.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif

johnwalser
Jul-06-2005, 9:49pm
Michael Lampert recommended an 8" speaker for my Schwab four string and I ended up with a Polytone Mega Brute. He said the size of the speaker should relate to the mandolin's shorter scale length. As usual, Michael was right and my amp sounds great!
John

jmkatcher
Jul-06-2005, 9:58pm
Isn't a Mega Brute almost too clean though?

mandroid
Jul-07-2005, 2:41am
I gotta cut a 13.5" hole, thats close to scale length...
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Christian McKee
Jul-07-2005, 10:26am
I got a chance to play a Mega Brute the other day, and I have to say that I do find it too clean for my purposes. It certainly does have a terriffic sound, and I would direct anyone looking to emulate that electric hollowbody tone that jazz players favor towards it, but it seems limited to that. The high gain channel is pretty mushy, doesn't really have the definition that I want...

Christian

ShaneJ
Jul-07-2005, 4:59pm
I've had the tube amp bug lately for guitar. I don't have an e-mando YET. Do you guys like tube amps better than solid state/transistor amps for mando? I see a couple of Fender tube amps mentioned here, so I assume the answer is "yes" - at least partially. I just love the tube sound - especially from a Strat or Tele.

jmkatcher
Jul-07-2005, 5:06pm
Personally, the answer is yes, but certainly it's a matter of opinion. I'm using a Peavey Delta Blues and like the additional warmth in the sound over my previous transistor amp.

steve in tampa
Jul-07-2005, 5:17pm
Had problems in the past carting around tube amps. Heavy and somewhat fragile.

There are tube driven pre-amp/overdrive/etc. foot pedals available now.

Recently started using a simulated tube Tech 21 SansAmp DI that really does a nice job emulating a tube tone. Can use it to plug in directly to the P.A. The new version has an overdrive.

Christian McKee
Jul-07-2005, 5:25pm
I wouldn't trade my Fender Pro Jr (15 watt all-tube amp) for a solid state if you payed me. I love the warmth that tubes offer in general, and adore the real sound of a driven amp, although I do use OD pedals quite a lot. I've never had durability issues with mine, and it's not even 30 pounds, you should really evaluate the size of gigs you'll be playing before you buy. Nobody wants to lug a 75lb monster to the coffee shop for a trio show...

Christian

ShaneJ
Jul-07-2005, 8:34pm
I don't gig anymore. I play VERY infrequently for small groups here or there. I play at home almost exclusively. Actually, just a 15-watt or less practice amp would do it for me. If I get a tube amp, I'd keep it dialed up to get a good growl going - I don't need a 100-watt amp dimed out while the Mrs. is trying to watch "Desparate Housewives" or something! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

A small (lighter) amp would suit me fine. The bigger Fender Twin Reverb I played a Strat through at the music shop the other day sure did sound good though! Any recommendations on make/model/speaker size in the practice amp catagory?

jmkatcher
Jul-07-2005, 9:03pm
It's really pricey, but I played through a Carr Mercury the other day. Among other things it has a built-in attenuator so you can set whatever tone you want and independently crank the output down to a fraction of a watt.

steve in tampa
Jul-08-2005, 4:24am
Check out the Pignose

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-PIG-G40V--brand-196.html

Christian McKee
Jul-08-2005, 10:13am
The Peavey Classic 30, Mesa Subway Jr., or Fender Blues Jr. would all likely be good options for you. I'm considering getting a Hotplate for my Fender Pro Jr., for the attenuator flexibility that's mentioned above. I heartily recommend the amp for gigging people, but it may not suit your needs too well, as it lacks built in reverb or pre/master volume controls.
There are lots of tube amps in the 15-40 watt range that would be suitable, you're probably looking at $250-600...

Lee
Jul-11-2005, 10:27am
I've owned all the amps Taboot mentions and second his choices; they're all very very fine for the price. I was disappointed Mesa choose the 10" speaker. #Please let me add in another honerable mention for the Ampeg Jet re-issue.
Me thinks the Subway is no longer in production however. Another out-of-production amp for the hi-gain distortion crowd is the 18-watt Soldano Astroverb.

Dave Wendler
Jul-16-2005, 10:10am
I highly recommend the Eminence Beta 12LT; a 12" "dual cone"(whizzer cone). #In designing our electroCoustic amp, this speaker is used for the reference, and will be sold in the amp. http://editweb.iglou.com/eminenc....2lt.htm (http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/eminence/pages/products02/speakers/beta12lt.htm)

Here's a recording Scott Tichenor did using one of these speakers with a Fender Pro Jr. amp. We just miked the cab for the recording.

http://www.electrocoustic.com/audio/All%20of%20Meando.mp3.

The eC guitar on the recording is using the same amp/speaker.

ShaneJ
Jul-16-2005, 5:05pm
Thanks for the input guys. I found a 70's Fender Champ (Silverface) on eBay the other day. It shows to be on the FedEx truck in Abilene for delivery, but it's going to my office, so I'll get it Monday. Nothing on the Champ except 'Volume' and 'Tone', but I have a big Peavey keyboard amp that has a nice spring reverb and bass, mid, treble EQ knobs for each channel. The 15" speaker plus horn puts out some serious full-range tone too. I figure I can crank the Champ running into the Peavey and then adjust the volume on the Peavey to suit bedroom jamming - kind of a built-in attenuator with reverb and EQ. I don't yet have an emando to play through it, but my Strat'll do for now. Been listening to a lot of SRV, BB Chung King and The Buddaheads, Los Lonely Boys, etc. lately - just warming up! It's been a long time since I listened to and/or played electric guitar. I've listened to nothing but acoustic mando/Bluegrass for the last 3 or 4 years. I really need an emando now.

ShaneJ
Jul-16-2005, 5:15pm
Wow, Dave! I looked at your site. Those are cool instruments and amps. I'm trying hard not to let the tube amp bug bite me too hard. I always end up wanting to build my own ___ (latest cool toy I get interested in). I listened to your sound clips. Your amps sound nice!

Lee
Jul-18-2005, 11:12am
Shane, I'd be very careful running the vintage Champ in the front end of the Peavey. I suggest you log onto www.fenderforum.com, register, and ask some of the amp guys there. I'd hate to see you damage something.
Especially the Champ. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

ShaneJ
Jul-18-2005, 5:52pm
Thanks, Lee. I've been reading up on tube amps, etc. on the fender forum - lots of good info there. I'll first have to wire in a "line out" jack for the Champ. I've run other amps into the Peavey before at low and high volume settings, and as long as I don't crank up the Peavey too I've had no problems. I'm sure that if I turned both amps up loud, it would blow the speaker on the Peavey. Another option (if I wire in a line out on the Champ) would be to run through it on the effects loop of the Peavey.

The Champ arrived today, and it sounds pretty good by itself. Going through the Peavey, I'd loose some of the 8" speaker breakup while gaining the reverb and additional EQ. I may just get a reverb pedal to keep the Champ breakup. Like everyone says, it's a great practice amp for in-home, reasonable volume levels use. I wish I had an emando to play through it! Bet it'd sound good.

BTW, I took my Strat to the office today in anticipation of the Champ's arrival. I plugged it in and played for a while (not TOO loud) after it came. A little later, the guy in the office next door came over. Said he'd heard the guitar.... Anyway, it prompted him to come in to talk about investing the money he will soon receive for selling his business (not a small sum). Maybe I should take the guitar and amp back to the office and turn it up a little louder to try to reach the other offices! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif