PDA

View Full Version : Brands With Larger Neck Profiles?

Andrew B. Carlson
Jul-27-2017, 12:29pm
I'm soon to be in the market for an upgrade from my Kentucky KM-1000. One of the things I'm wanting is a larger/fatter neck than the Kentucky. I've played a few Collings, a Stanley, a Red Diamond, some Eastmans and a 1924 F5, but what else should I be looking at? My price range will be used instruments from 2500-4000. How are Northfield necks? How about Gibsons F5L or F5G?

Tom C
Jul-27-2017, 2:13pm
There's a nice Rigel G5. They are known for great tone and have pretty chunky necks.
https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/113566#113566

JEStanek
Jul-27-2017, 2:54pm
Eastman is known for a slim neck (that I like) the chunkier necks I have played (that I didn't like as much) were Breedlove, Weber, and Rigel. Your hands may enjoy what mine did not.

Jamie

Steve Sorensen
Jul-27-2017, 3:29pm
Why wouldn't you do a custom build where you can specify all the details?

Steve

Beanzy
Jul-27-2017, 4:11pm
Yaaay +1 for the chunky necks & speccing your own.
I had mine done with more space on the lower side to stop me damping the outside e string with my fat fingers.

Rob Norton
Jul-27-2017, 4:32pm
The Mandolin Store, which advertises on the Cafe, seems to keep a variety of instruments with wide necks in stock. They even have a separate page for them on the website.
NFI

Andrew B. Carlson
Jul-27-2017, 6:16pm
I'm not concerned so much about the width of the fingerboard as much as the "girth" of the neck. My Kentucky is a bit thin for my liking.

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-28-2017, 3:30am
There's a nice Lebeda F5 'Custom' mandolin for sale in the classified ads. If it's like mine,the neck is more substantial than most mandolins & they usually have a wider fingerboard as well,making them very comfortable to play,
Ivan

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/112599#112599

Dave1066
Jul-28-2017, 7:16am
I'd suggest looking at either mass produced or luthier made flat back Mandolins. In Europe most of these Mandolins have a nut / neck of 32-34 mm, which translates to a fatter neck.

My Portuguese flat back has a fat neck, one of the reasons why is because traditional flat backs don't use truss rods. So its from a strength point of view.

If you absolutely must have an F style Mandolin, then the above is useless.

billy_v
Jul-28-2017, 9:23am
Andrew, PM sent.

MikeZito
Jul-28-2017, 9:28am
For what it's worth - my Eastman 415 Gold Top has a significantly 'thick' neck (not wide), and (after a Mandolin Store set-up) plays great.

MichaelW
Jul-28-2017, 12:28pm
How are Northfield necks?

They are pretty chunky and very comfortable. More of a D shape than a V.

Andrew B. Carlson
Jul-28-2017, 12:36pm
They are pretty chunky and very comfortable. More of a D shape than a V.

Good to know! Northfield is high on my list of options. Also slightly more affordable than one of my other desire, a older Gibson F5L.

Andrew B. Carlson
Aug-29-2017, 12:05am
I got a chance to play a newer Gibson F9, F5G and F5 Fern today. Loved the neck on the F5G! Nice and thick! I preferred the tone too to the Fern. Good to know. Just gotta play a Northfield now.

Astro
Aug-29-2017, 7:14am
My F5G has a chunky neck and thick tone. I have played 2-3 other Gibsons that were also on the chunky side so maybe its a brand characteristic?

Mine has a tad more Vee shape than I like, more than the other Gibsons I've played, and I'm considering having someone shave down the apex to flatten it a bit. But since that seems drastic and irreversable, I'm dragging my feet on it.

It took me forever to get the nerve up for having a speed neck done on it and man am I happy I did. I now cant see why they all dont come as a speed neck.

Br1ck
Aug-29-2017, 12:28pm
With that budget I'd grap a flight or do a road trip to a major music town like Nashville or Austin. See for yourself.

Bob A
Aug-30-2017, 12:37pm
Pre-trussrod Gibsons have nice meaty necks, with wider fretboards than later models.

Eric Platt
Sep-01-2017, 9:20pm
My Breedlove Cascade definitely has a large neck. Reminds me of the Rogelio A Natural I owned years ago.

My Gibson A Jr. has a regular sized neck, even though it lacks an adjustable truss rod.

yankees1
Sep-02-2017, 8:45am
The neck on the Northfield I had was thicker than the necks on the Ellis mandolins I have now.

Bill Kammerzell
Sep-02-2017, 9:27am
My Breedlove Cascade definitely has a large neck. Reminds me of the Rogelio A Natural I owned years ago.

My Gibson A Jr. has a regular sized neck, even though it lacks an adjustable truss rod.

As far as width goes, the 3 Breedloves I have owned all had 1 3/16" nuts. I like it more than an 1 1/8".

DavidKOS
Sep-02-2017, 10:31am
Yaaay +1 for the chunky necks & speccing your own.
I had mine done with more space on the lower side to stop me damping the outside e string with my fat fingers.

Although all of you guys are likely talking about archtop mandolins, I had my flat-top made with a wide, chunky neck with a slightly radiused fingerboard.

It's really comfortable and makes playing 4 note chords a lot easier.