PDA

View Full Version : Can't Afford A Fourth!

MikeZito
Jul-26-2017, 9:35am
If I didn't already buy THREE mandolins this week - I would seriously look into this . . . but then again, MAS is obviously VERY strong lately - so, you never know what might happen.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/Vintage-1914-F2-Mandolin.gc

Any comments?

JEStanek
Jul-26-2017, 9:40am
Is it just me or is that a crazy low price. Or does the price reflect that it has been refinished, etc or has significant playability issues?

Jamie

Jim Garber
Jul-26-2017, 10:09am
From the not-great photos it looks like there was some sloppy repair on the headstock scroll, a visible crack on the bass side of the top near the fretboard end and lots of crazing on the back. It is difficult to tell if there is top sinkage and any other issues. GC does say: "ORIGINAL CASE // HANDLE HAS BEEN REPLACED. HEADSTOCK HAS HAD WORK DONE ON IT.."

I would say price is OK considering that it might need some work.

MikeZito: have you seen and played this one or just salivating from afar? Three mandolins in one week, yikes!

JeffD
Jul-26-2017, 10:19am
Is it just me or is that a crazy low price.

Another thing to consider is that Guitar Center doesn't normally sell fine mandolins. I bought a Stiver from a Guitar Center, and got a great great deal. I think it was because they just want to get enough, and move it along, rather than have it take up space for months and months - space that can display stuff that sells every couple of weeks.

How a fine mandolin gets to Guitar Center is a separate question - speculation worthy of the best hard boiled fiction novelists.

MikeZito
Jul-26-2017, 12:23pm
MikeZito: have you seen and played this one or just salivating from afar?

Alas, this one is strictly seeing drool from afar. An F-2 or F-4 have been on my wish list for quite some time, but were always priced slightly out-of-reach . . . hence my MAS antenna going up for this one, when I saw the price. I actually like mandolins that show honest play wear (I have an F-5G coming that was very affordable because of a repaired headstock ear, normal play wear and some finish cracks) - so, something like this (provided it was structurally sound) would have been fright up my alley.

Someday . . . someday . . . .

MikeZito
Jul-26-2017, 12:34pm
Another thing to consider is that Guitar Center doesn't normally sell fine mandolins. I bought a Stiver from a Guitar Center, and got a great great deal . . .

How a fine mandolin gets to Guitar Center is a separate question - speculation worthy of the best hard boiled fiction novelists.

Probably much like Jeff's Stiver above, I too recently picked up a very nice 1929 Martin Style 20 mandolin from Guitar Center at a price that was at least $1,000 less than most others that I have seen for sale - so, the good deals are out there.

Knowing folks who work at G.C., I am told that top-notch stuff just walks in the door every so often - especially in the bigger cities. I don't know if it is true or not, but I once read that Michael Nesmith of the Monkees had a 1954 Gibson Les Paul that he gave to one of his sons . . . who eventually turned around and sold it to Guitar Center in Hollywood.

All-in-all - when it comes to finding the occasional gem at Guitar Center; nothing would surprise me.

MikeEdgerton
Jul-26-2017, 12:44pm
It would be hard to buy from those pictures even at that price. I'd have to be holding that one.

polaskya
Jul-26-2017, 7:17pm
Welp, looks like I'm going to guitar center to check it out soon. Thanks a lot. Jeeeezeeee.

goaty76
Jul-26-2017, 8:53pm
With today's cameras/phones you would have to try pretty hard to get pictures that poor in quality. Then the second mind numbing thing is someone approved those pics as good representations to sell this instrument. Ugg.

Phil

your_diamond
Jul-26-2017, 10:32pm
I am told that top-notch stuff just walks in the door every so often - especially in the bigger cities.

top-notch stuff just walks in the door even in small cities & pawn shops