PDA

View Full Version : Gibson off-brand?

Eric Platt
Jul-25-2017, 8:15am
Was just checking through the Guitar Center used and saw this one - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/In-Store-Vintage/Vintage-Vintage-1900s-Bauer-Mandolin-Natural-Mandolin.gc

Looks to me like a Gibson A with a Kalamazoo style neck on it. Bauer doesn't show up in Paul Fox's book. Definitely not from the other Bauer that made bowlbacks.

If it is a Gibson, would think it's an excellent deal. Even if not, seems to be a good price for a depression era mandolin.

nmiller
Jul-25-2017, 8:28am
There are at least a couple of us (https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?133040-George-Bauer-Mandolin&p=1584207) who agree that it looks like a Gibson. The Fox book is a great resource, but there are a few Gibson-built instruments not included in it.

Eric Platt
Jul-25-2017, 9:39am
Thanks. Guess I should have searched before posting.

MikeEdgerton
Jul-25-2017, 9:56am
That is a Gibson second line instrument, early 30's. It looks like a flat top and back. Very similar to the Kel Kroydon mandolin. You might want to call to see if that binding and pickguard are painted on. It also resembles the Gibson C-1 where they actually put their name on one of these.

your_diamond
Jul-25-2017, 3:37pm
A Gibson second line instrument, early 30's [YES WITH flat top and back]. Very similar to the Kel Kroydon mandolin. You might want to call to see if that binding and pickguard are painted on.

IT DOES HAVE BINDING (NOT PAINTED ON) & NO PICKGUARD.
In hand description ...scratches (as expected, it's old) heal cap has a minor issue, he couldn't explain, might need removal & regluing but plays fine as is. They won't take any less than the $399.99.

It took me 7 phone calls to locate it (No Bueno, no wonder their business is having trouble). Finally found it in Guitar Center Williston (on the third try) (802) 872-7627 ask for Dave Maddison (Manager)

your_diamond
Jul-25-2017, 4:07pm
If it is a Gibson, would think it's an excellent deal. Even if not, seems to be a good price for a depression era mandolin.

Not familiar with these or other flat top & back Gibsons but a Gibson Army & Navy w/ case went for $499.00 in sold auctions on FeBay with only 1 bid on Jul-10-2017... but wouldn't you want to spend just a little more for a Gibson A jr. & get a hand carved top?

Still, you would be hard pressed to find a Vintage American made instrument (& A Gibson made one at that) plus it does have binding where the A Jr. does not... & all for under $400.

I looked at the pictures & I wonder if there is some shrinkage at the neck joint??? Maybe that is what the manager was trying to describe, to me (he might have been a drummer).

Eric Platt
Jul-25-2017, 7:39pm
Yeah, I do have an A Jr. so that's one reason I'm not buying it. From that description, it does sound like it's close to the Kalamazoo model. Except in natural finish.

Am surprised an Army Navy went that cheap. Guess I haven't been following prices much the last few years. That used to be the price of a Kalamazoo, which was cheaper than the AN.

Bill Snyder
Jul-25-2017, 8:42pm
IT DOES HAVE BINDING (NOT PAINTED ON) & NO PICKGUARD.
In hand description ...scratches (as expected, it's old) heal cap has a minor issue, he couldn't explain, might need removal & regluing but plays fine as is. They won't take any less than the $399.99.

It took me 7 phone calls to locate it (No Bueno, no wonder their business is having trouble). Finally found it in Guitar Center Williston (on the third try) (802) 872-7627 ask for Dave Maddison (Manager)

Not sure why you had any trouble finding what store it is at. The ad clearly states what store and gives the phone number.

your_diamond
Jul-25-2017, 11:43pm
not sure why you had any trouble finding what store it is at. The ad clearly states what store and gives the phone number.

Because I called that number & the first two employees had me calling Twinn Falls, Mn. Which WAS also in the listing but they have cleaned it up. APPARENTLY SOMEONE BOUGHT IT WITH A RETURN POLICY & RETURNED IT TO THEIR STORE.

your_diamond
Jul-27-2017, 3:35am
That is a Gibson second line instrument, early 30's. It looks like a flat top and back. Very similar to the Kel Kroydon mandolin. You might want to call to see if that binding and pickguard are painted on. It also resembles the Gibson C-1 where they actually put their name on one of these.

There is a "well played" 1931-33 Gibson C1 Mandolin and Case on eBay for $450 w/ free shipping http://r.ebay.com/ksBxIV REAL binding (TOP & BACK) BUT THE pickguard IS painted on.

Headstock says The Gibson.

ALERT!!! THE BAUER HAS TOP BINDING ONLY (NOT PAINTED ON).