PDA

View Full Version : Repair: 1914 Martin Style B Flatback Mando

Jake Wildwood
Jul-19-2017, 5:57pm
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gDydsQFV35g/WW_a6RMfOOI/AAAAAAAAlo4/9FVqEUH_uJYHsosI4Fqm75B7oaEXLEiawCLcBGAs/s1600/mart-m2-1.jpg

Click here for the blog post w/full pictures and soundclip. (https://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com/2017/07/1914-martin-style-b-flatback-mandolin.html)

This one was brought in by a customer who got it from a friend who picked it up free at the dump! SIGH. I love the non-standard pickguard shape.

Ron McMillan
Jul-19-2017, 10:07pm
From trash to treasure. Great job, Jake.

brunello97
Jul-19-2017, 10:23pm
Very nice, Jake. I love the spruce / rosewood combination on these old flatbacks.

Funny thing, I've got a 1914 bowlback in my files with the same shaped pickguard. Do you thing that smurge below the pickguard on yours follows the profile of the classic kidney shaped Martin pgs? Or is that just a coincidence?

Mick

Jake Wildwood
Jul-19-2017, 11:52pm
Just coincidence -- lotsa pickwear! I've seen this pickguard on alternate-branded Martin flatbacks -- maybe a Grinnell one? Can't remember -- before -- and, like you said, on the bowlbacks. It's a nice look, though, I think.

MikeEdgerton
Jul-20-2017, 3:36am
Now I find out that not only do I go to the wrong garage and estate sales, hang out at the wrong flea markets and antique stores but I also don't frequent the right dumps.

jdchapman
Jul-21-2017, 5:59am
This is really lovely, Jake. The blog is a constant source of temptation.

your_diamond
Jul-23-2017, 3:12am
Now I find out that not only do I go to the wrong garage and estate sales, hang out at the wrong flea markets and antique stores but I also don't frequent the right dumps.

Too funny!

Mike,
Be glad you're not that guy. I heard the guy who originally found this (at the dump) still roams that dump (& he will for the rest of his days) looking for the missing tailpiece cover.

Russ Donahue
Jul-23-2017, 2:06pm
Nice work, as always Jake!

resse
Jul-24-2017, 6:11am
What a beautiful instrument!

Brian560
Jul-24-2017, 6:41pm
That certainly is nice. I have one similar though in Koa. Can I ask what strings you use?

Jake Wildwood
Jul-26-2017, 4:43pm
That certainly is nice. I have one similar though in Koa. Can I ask what strings you use?

Gorgeous mando, Brian!

I usually use the GHS A240 set which is 32w, 20w, 13, 9 and approximately the tension of period strings. They sound good, play easy, and are safe for most old mandos. 34w-10 is a hair heavier than gauges I've seen from antique extant sets.

The ones on the instrument in question, however, are made-up from singles I had on hand so they start at 30w instead.

Brian560
Jul-28-2017, 6:24pm
Jake thanks for the string recommendation. I will check them out. I have checked out your shop page and music. Great stuff on both sites !