PDA

View Full Version : Chopin on my Eastman Mandolin

Mitch Sumner
Jul-17-2017, 10:21pm
Hi there. This is my first post here. I thought I'd share this arrangement I did of a Chopin Etude that features the mandolin. I'm still quite new to the instrument though (less than a year) so I'd gladly take any advice on technique. I noticed that my right hand looks rather unnatural but I've never felt any discomfort. I feel comfortable planting my wrist in a certain spot and this is the result. If anyone knows whether this is acceptable or has any tips I'd appreciate it. Anyway, I hope you enjoy!

https://youtu.be/ydYligplDkw

Peter Coronado
Jul-17-2017, 11:51pm
Great pickin'! Your pick grip does look a bit unusual. I changed my grip after watching Mike Compton up close for an hour. Look for Mike Compton playing "Methodist Preacher" to get a good look at his grip.

Jordan Ramsey
Jul-18-2017, 12:11am
Hi Mitch, nice playing! And very cool multitrack/video editing! Your pick grip / the way you plant your wrist and move your hand / etc... is not that big of an issue, IMO.... The main technique culprit that I do see is your pick direction. Right now, you are alternating every pick stroke regardless of the beat. Instead, you should swing your wrist with the pulse of the tune, so that you have strong pick strokes (down strokes) on strong beats (1, 2, 3, 4, etc.) and up stokes on weak beats (the "ands"). There are plenty of exceptions to this rule, but it is the best default approach for fluid up-tempo playing in most styles. Take it from someone who spent two beginning years self taught, only to have to eventually rework my entire right hand approach. The sooner you deal with it, the better off you'll be. You certainly have a great start musically, I think that squaring away your pick direction habits will totally elevate your mandolin playing. All the best,

Mitch Sumner
Jul-18-2017, 1:56am
Thanks! It looks to me like his technique is a bit unusual too. His arm comes in almost parallel to the strings whereas I feel like most players come in at more of an angle. And I've heard Chris Thile talk about picking at an angle too. I'll certainly be experimenting to find what will work best for me.

Bertram Henze
Jul-18-2017, 2:03am
Yeah, but it's spelled Choppin' :grin:

The remarkable thing about this pick grip is that the forearm comes in about right, then the wrist makes a sharp turn downwards and thumb and index turn the pick back in line. It looks like begging for pain and health problems in the long run. It certainly does not look relaxed. Try having a straight line forearm-to-pick.

Mitch Sumner
Jul-18-2017, 2:10am
Thanks Jordan! Wow, I didn't even realize I was doing that with the alternating picking. I thought that would carry over from guitar but I really haven't done much flat picking so I'll have to pay more attention to that when I'm practicing/learning tunes.

Mitch Sumner
Jul-18-2017, 2:12am
Ha! Damn, missed opportunity there...Frederic Choppin'.

Lane Pryce
Jul-19-2017, 10:20pm
Thanks man, really enjoyed the video. Lp

ccravens
Jul-27-2017, 1:59pm
You guys did a great job!

:)

blongnl
Aug-07-2017, 2:24pm
Fantastic!

Jim Garber
Aug-07-2017, 8:42pm
Very nice. For convenience, here is it embedded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydYligplDkw

chuck3
Aug-07-2017, 9:28pm
Nice stuff all around! But put me with those who read "Choppin'" in the original post heading ... maybe they're not mutually exclusive!