PDA

View Full Version : Old Stridente Rides Again

Tavy
Jul-02-2017, 3:40am
No, not an old timey tune, but an old timey mandolin newly restored.

Repaired back crack, split tailpiece block, replaced most of the MOP/Tortoiseshell edging, and new replica bridge:

Scot63
Jul-02-2017, 7:31am
It looks like quite a beauty!

Charles E.
Jul-02-2017, 8:58pm
Wow, that looks great Tavy. That bridge looks like a PITA to make, good job. How does it sound?

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-03-2017, 5:52am
Very beautiful work & terrific craftsmanship there Tavy. I'm no Bowl-back fan (as regards Bluegrass music of course), but i do appreciate their beauty,& that looks very lovely indeed - well done !,
Ivan

PS - It looks as though you use the same string fitting technique that i've used for 50+ years - ''push through & wind on''. Simple, & it works very well indeed. Are the photos. 'reversed' ?. (Original pic. on the left).

Tavy
Jul-03-2017, 12:25pm
Re string fitting: For the plain strings I use Frank Fords "string lock" on vintage tuners like these (see http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/Archtop/ArchtopString/atstring02.html), for modern "capstan" shaped posts I use the string wrap method. Wound strings grip pretty well though: I just thread them through and tighten them up, I don't think I've ever had one slip.

Re "reversed": nope, strung up for a left handed player, causes serious mental dissonance that ;)

Re "how does it sound": well I couldn't play the thing left handed ;) But sounded nice when the owner picked it up: I've had this model before and they sound pretty good - on the "bright and sparkly" end of the spectrum, but not thin or harsh.

Re bridge construction: these are actually fairly easy to make once you get into the mindset of a 19th century craftsman, cutting the "shelf" part is the hardest part, though not too bad with a rotary tool and router bit.

For the records, here's another one of this model I did a while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbe_9_GN-qU