PDA

View Full Version : Central Virginia Jam

yoods
Jun-19-2005, 7:52am
Does anyone know of any low-key monthly or weekly Celtic and/or old timely (non-bluegrass) jams in the central Virginia area, say roughly between Charlottesville and Richmond, Culpepper and the James River?

How about any nearby the area I defined?

Thanks much for sharing any information you have.

fatt-dad
Jun-19-2005, 10:20pm
The first tuesday of the month at Janke Road Baptist Church there is a large gathering of folks playing all sorts of music. Upstairs in there is a large old time jam that meets regularly. All old-time stuff, no celtic though. Downstairs folks are playing gospel and bluegrass. It's quite a gathering and lots of fun. Starts at 7:00 and ends at 10:00.

To get there take Chippenham parkway to Janke Road and head towards Richmond. The church is maybe a mile or so on the right side of the road. I'm sure you can look up the address and then get a map on "mapquest.com".

f-d

yoods
Jun-26-2005, 6:30am
Thanks Fatt-dad, does anyone know of anymore in the area?

Jim Gallaher
Jun-28-2005, 7:13am
Try the Old Time Jam, Fridays, 7:30-10:30 at the Rockfish Community Center near Afton,VA. www.rockfishcc.org (http://www.rockfishcc.org)

boatman
Jun-28-2005, 8:39pm
This is the website for you:http://users.adelphia.net/~castlehoo

yoods
Jul-07-2005, 9:43pm
Boatman , good site, and Jim, thanks for the info about Rockfish.

SurebetVA
Jul-26-2005, 9:23pm
Also Second Thursdays at Richmond Christian school by the VA Folk Music Association. http://www.vafolkmusic.org/Page2.html

SurebetVA
Sep-11-2005, 8:52pm
Second Thursdays at Richmond Christian school have been moved to Third Tuesday's at Brandermill Church 4500 Millridge Parkway, Midlothian, VA. still sponsored by the Virginia Folk Music Association. www.vafolkmusic.org

Also, Irish music jams are First Wednesday's at Upstairs part of Commercial Taphouse in the Fan district of Richmond, and Second and Fourth Wednesday's at Rosie Connolly's next to the Farmer's market in Richmond. All three nights are at 8:00 pm and are led by Stephen Wilson: schlepworld@yahoo.com

Also Sunday afternoon's at 2:00pm at Carystreet Cafe is another Bluegrass Jam. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

SurebetVA
Oct-11-2005, 12:06am
OK, now I am posting three times in a row on the same string. But I wanted to add that I have just put up a web page that has jam session information on it. If interested it is VABluegrass.com (http://www.vabluegrass.com) There is some no bluegrass info here as well.

Jim

yoods
Jun-22-2009, 6:40am
Does anyone know of any low-key monthly or weekly Celtic and/or old timely (non-bluegrass) jams in the central Virginia area, say roughly between Charlottesville and Richmond, Culpepper and the James River?

How about any nearby the area I defined?

Thanks much for sharing any information you have.

Hi all,
I am bumping this up to get updated information. I did a web search and was not able to find good information. Some of the web links mentioned above are not now functioning (like www.cvillejam.com, which was a great jam connector).

Thanks for any updated information on jams in the area I requesting.

Gerry Cassidy
Jun-22-2009, 8:20am
Here is a link to the Richmond Folk Music Society's Calendar:

http://freecal.brownbearsw.com/roots.music.virginia

yoods
Jun-23-2009, 12:28pm
Hey Gerry, Thanks much! A good one.

Does anyone know the new address or replacement address for the Charlottesville jam link that is now broken?

jim_n_virginia
Jun-23-2009, 12:52pm
Tripp and Jenny's Old Time and Bluegrass Jam in Richmond at the Cary Street Cafe on Cary Street on Sundays at 2pm is a very well run and fun jam! I don't get up there near as much as I would like to! :mandosmiley:

Tripp Johnson
Jun-28-2009, 8:15am
Don't know how I missed this thread until now...Dave, come on by our jam anytime. PM me if you have questions, need directions etc...our jam is pretty much all old-time these days, I think you'd have some fun.

Jim, thanks for the kind words! Come on up whenever you can, always fun picking with you. And bring the biker dude Shaun with you! ;) One day I'll make it down and jam with y'all.

sgarrity
Jun-29-2009, 9:45am
One of the best regular jams I've ever been to. I just wish I could get up there more often!
Just keep an eye out for a guy on a Harley with a mandolin gig bag on his back! LOL

Tripp Johnson
Jun-29-2009, 10:16am
Thanks Shaun, we'll be looking for ya!

mando83
Jun-29-2009, 10:17am
Well, I figured I'd post this list since no one else has...perhaps because they don't know about it. Interestingly, the size of these jam's range BIG time from week to week.

These all take place on Friday and begin at 7:00pm.

1st Friday of the Month

Rivermont Presbyterian Church
2021 E. Hundred Rd.
Chester, VA

2nd Friday of the Month

Seaboard Salvage Building
122 N. Market St.
Petersburg, VA

3rd Friday of the Month

First Christian Church
301 South Blvd.
Petersburg, VA

4th (and 5th) Friday of the Month

Seaboard Salvage Building
122 N. Market St
Petersburg, VA

Also during the summer months, there is a jam that begins around 9am at the Farmer's Market in Old Town Petersburg.

Hope this helps some folks. I like to try to make it out every now and then to one of the jams to see some friends.

Tripp Johnson
Jun-29-2009, 10:26am
Cool, what type of jams are these? Old-time, bluegrass etc...?

mando83
Jun-29-2009, 12:09pm
Cool, what type of jams are these? Old-time, bluegrass etc...?

They are Bluegrass Jams. Sorry probably should have mentioned that :)

Tripp Johnson
Jun-29-2009, 1:54pm
They are Bluegrass Jams. Sorry probably should have mentioned that

No worries, thanks for bringing them to our attention.

jim_n_virginia
Jul-02-2009, 2:31pm
One of the best regular jams I've ever been to. I just wish I could get up there more often!
Just keep an eye out for a guy on a Harley with a mandolin gig bag on his back! LOL

Yeah tough lookin dude with the license plate "SKULLZ" :grin: