PDA

View Full Version : here she is

Bluemando
Mar-09-2004, 4:29am
hopefully the attachment will work. This is what I have spent almost all my free time doing. I havent tried to string it up yet but I'm not far from it. I know she's not perfect but it is my first. It was built from a stew mac kit. figured I'd try the A first, the F 2nd, and if I can get it right maybe try to scratch build.

Bluemando
Mar-09-2004, 4:30am
sorry about the pic quality, took it with a friend,s phone cam at work.

Bluemando
Mar-09-2004, 4:38am
heres another

Bluemando
Mar-09-2004, 4:40am
and another

Bluemando
Mar-09-2004, 4:41am
yet another

Bluemando
Mar-09-2004, 4:44am
ok last one. The pics dont do it justice. The wood that I got from stew mac was a lot prettier than I thought it would be.

crawdad
Mar-09-2004, 4:58am
It looks great. The wood will pop with a full detailed sanding--heck, go though the grits up to 2000. Then, when you do the stain and the finish, all that flame will really start to show itself. Its gonna be beautiful. You may be amazed at what you have there! I am excited for you! You are almost there!

Bluemando
Mar-09-2004, 4:59am
also I would like to extend my gratitude to all of you great people who were willing to answer my questions and give suggestions. And a special thanx to Mr. Crawdad, whose story in an earlier post served as an inspiration.

Bluemando
Mar-09-2004, 5:00am
thanx crawdad.....again.

mandoryan
Mar-09-2004, 5:33pm
Good job Bluemando! It's fun huh? Be prepared to spend a lot more time and money on this new hobby. My wife says that I might as well move in to the garage as much as I'm out there, but I don't think the concrete floor would be quite as comfortable as the mattress http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Are you doing binding on it? It's not nearly as bad a we say it is...well maybe it is but it's worth it a lot of the time. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif Have lots of fun...

Eugene
Mar-09-2004, 6:12pm
Your snakehead is elegant and mightily groovy, Bluemando.

Gail Hester
Mar-09-2004, 6:23pm
My thought as well, nice artful originality on the peg head. What are your plans for finishing?

Bluemando
Mar-09-2004, 6:48pm
I was planning to do a blueburst in NC lacquer. The peghead was inspired by a chippendale wardrobe, and the inlay by a neck tie, (wanted to give it a little class...lol). No I dont think I will bind this one, since it is my first, I wanted it to be a little more simple.
I will probably try it on the next one.

Brookside
Mar-09-2004, 7:34pm
They say the Stew-mac kit provides you the fine materials you need to produce a fine instrument. Of course it is entirely up to the builder to produce those results. Looks like you will have a fine instrument. Great work. Show us more as you progress.

Dedian
Mar-09-2004, 8:19pm
Great idea for the peghead Bluemando! Looking very good! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Bluemando
Mar-09-2004, 8:48pm
thanx for all the compliments yall. I am trying to hold on to my patience, but it is trying. I just cant wait to hear it. It was mentioned in another thread (flowerpot) had his top plate cave in. This is my biggest concern, since I did go a little thinner than the print. I cant imagine the disapointment, and I hope I dont have too.
Thanx again, I knew I could count on you guys for some positive reinforcement.

GaryM
Mar-09-2004, 9:15pm
Thats awesome Bluemando..
I like the peghead too!!
Looks like you'll have plenty of room for the next 300 or so...but tell the forklift driver to drive carefully ok?

Mar-09-2004, 9:54pm
Very nice job Blue...i am always amazed at how talented you folks are. I dropped out of Boy Scouts because i was terrible at tying knots. I think i'll cheer from the sidelines with mando building. Can't wait to see the finish.

crawdad
Mar-10-2004, 12:11am
Brookside--If was any kind of an inspiration, I am flattered. In your case, you did the work and came up with the goods. If yours looks this good, going sans binding is an excellent idea, IMO. Binding was the biggest downfall in my first one. Its hard to do and even harder to make it look right. Even though I built the jigs and did the dance, it was hard to cut an even depth in the channel for me. Using white/black/white binding made it even more difficult. Next binding I do is gonna be all one color. I have more learning to do in this area.

Did you say, "Mr. Crawdad?!" never been called that before...sounds kinda dignified in a Mr. Toad's Wild Ride sort of way!

Hey, post the final finished version pics. Dying to see them!

vedauwoorocks
Mar-11-2004, 8:01am
Bluemando--That is very, very cool. You should be very proud. I'll bet you can't wait to string it up. You guys with the skill and the resources to build your own mandos are indeed lucky!
What a great gift!
--Fred

John Zimm
Mar-11-2004, 9:01am
Bluemando-

That looks great. Good job. I hope she sounds as good as she looks. I'm sure she will.

-John.