PDA

View Full Version : Banjo Strap

arrowhead
Jun-09-2017, 3:41am
Hi I have an Ozark Banjo and would like to put a strap on it, I have looked at some, cradle, hook type, I would like some advise as to whitch is the better option.

gtani7
Jun-09-2017, 3:51am
What's a banjo? Just kidding...

Depends on how heavy your instrument is, with resonators i think most players like a cradle inserted under the 2nd hooks under the neckjoint and tailpiece. Openback, a hook type with soft loop ends instead of hooks, like the Neotech, work pretty well. With metal hooks you have to make sure doesn't scratch the resonator or anything else

arrowhead
Jun-09-2017, 6:11am
What's a banjo? Just kidding...

Depends on how heavy your instrument is, with resonators i think most players like a cradle inserted under the 2nd hooks under the neckjoint and tailpiece. Openback, a hook type with soft loop ends instead of hooks, like the Neotech, work pretty well. With metal hooks you have to make sure doesn't scratch the resonator or anything else

Thanks for your reply, the Banjo is heavy,sounds like a cradle type would work best !!,what Brands should I go for

Tobin
Jun-09-2017, 6:29am
Definitely a cradle strap, and I have to recommend Lakota Leather straps. No financial interest on my part, but they are the most comfortable straps I've found. The soft bison leather feels like butter, and has good grip on the shoulder.

I use the 2" wide "chocolate" colored strap on my open-back. If you're playing a heavier resonator banjo, you may want the 3" for better load distribution.

http://www.lakotaleathers.com/products/banjo/

*edited to add: installing a cradle strap will take a few minutes to fish the cradle part through all the hooks on your rim and then get it adjusted to the right length and get it rotated to the best orientation for playing. The closure on the strap is Chicago screws which hold very well. Some folks will dab some clear fingernail polish or Loctite in the threads (use the blue Loctite, not the red one!) to keep them from coming unscrewed, but I haven't found it necessary on my strap. One thing I like about the Lakota straps is that they easily fold up to fit inside the case. Some of the more rigid leather straps never seem to lay well when closing the case.

jesserules
Jun-10-2017, 8:09pm
I use a Henry Heller strap as linked below for my banjo-mandolin (basically a resonator banjo with a shorter neck, so it's heavy), works great and goes on & off in seconds. Other styles available.

http://shop.henryhellermusic.com/p/hsbj-hny?pp=24