PDA

View Full Version : Where to look for Mandolin strings in Vancouver?

brunovieira
Jun-06-2017, 1:51pm
Hey all, long time lurker and now first time posting on this forum.

Going by this thread (https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?49336-Good-Mandolin-Stores-in-Chicago-IL) I think I'm posting in the right forum. If not, please excuse me.

So, I'm going to spend some days in Vancouver later this month. I've being wishing for new strings for my Mando for quite some time, and these are hard to come by in my country, let alone in affordable prices.

So, the question: where to look for Mandolin strings in Vancouver? I'm also expending a day in Chicago, so if no alternatives exist in Vancouver I could search there instead.

I've read the forums extensively and settled on D'Addario's EXP74 due to their longevity (from what I've read), but I'm open to suggestions as well.

Thanks in advance!

mandroid
Jun-06-2017, 1:58pm
Washington state? Portland OR across the river. (no sales tax)

I still get Phone Books , Here.

Van BC Canada? IDK

pjcrawford
Jun-06-2017, 4:12pm
Lots of choices in Vancouver, including Long and McQuade (they also do mail order), Rufus Guitar Shop, Tapestry Music, Bonerattle Music to name a few. Long and McQuade has a number of locations throughout greater Vancouver.

Verne Andru
Jun-06-2017, 4:42pm
+ Tom Lee

brunovieira
Jun-06-2017, 5:32pm
Washington state? Portland OR across the river. (no sales tax)

I still get Phone Books , Here.

Van BC Canada? IDK

Thanks for the suggestion! Wish I could get to Washington, many cool things to see there, but the Canadian travel authorization only allows entrance by air (edit: Oh, now I see, I really meant Vancouver, BC, didn't know there was a Vancouver, WA, cool to know).

Lots of choices in Vancouver, including Long and McQuade (they also do mail order), Rufus Guitar Shop, Tapestry Music, Bonerattle Music to name a few. Long and McQuade has a number of locations throughout greater Vancouver.

Hey, thanks for the input and the many options! Long & McQuade is relatively near where I'm staying, while Rufus, Tapestry, and Bonerattle are a bit farther. But it's good to know I have some options to go.

+ Tom Lee

Thanks for bringing this one up, there's one located quite next to where I'll be staying!

George R. Lane
Jun-06-2017, 6:38pm
I use juststrings.com for my strings.

Verne Andru
Jun-07-2017, 9:17am
Thanks for bringing this one up, there's one located quite next to where I'll be staying!

I'm assuming you're staying in the downtown?

Tom Lee just moved into a new store on Granville/Robson - it's their "flagship store" so you should be able to find what you need or they can order it in.

L&M is a bit of a walk but doable on a nice day. I like Rufus but it's a very long walk (which I do with regularity - Vancouver is a great walking town when not raining) from the downtown core, but certainly great on a sunny day.

No Uber, taxi's are expensive and the bus/transit system overly confusing and stupid expensive for what it is. The city put in a bike rental system setup around the city, but it's almost cheaper taking a cab.

I walk everywhere unless forced otherwise.

Capt. E
Jun-08-2017, 9:36am
Portland, Oregon??? Much too far away from Vancouver.
If you ever make it to Seattle, don't miss Dusty Strings.