PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on a Vega f model….

sverd
Jun-05-2017, 4:08am
Hello,
Could you give me your opinion on a mandolin that I would like to buy is a Vega model F of the 90s.
The asking price is 480 €.
I'll try to bring you a picture.
Thank you all!

allenhopkins
Jun-05-2017, 12:04pm
The "Vega" trademark got passed through several hands after C F Martin Co. relinquished it in 1979. Deering Banjos has it now.

I have heard that the Asian Vega mandolins were Korean-made, but I don't know the source of this attribution. This one looks like several other brands of Asian-made instruments. You're talking about spending about $550 on this one. A similar one being sold here (https://reverb.com/item/90550-vega-f-style-prototype-sunburst-mandolin) is said to be solid woods, though it's not listed as "carved," so may be heat-pressed into shape. The seller wants $800 for it, which is high-end, IMHO.

Your price is not excessive for a decent-condition, Asian-made F-model, if it's well set up; it does have a well-fitting hardshell case. There are other makes and models I'd consider before making a decision, but F-model mandolins aren't always readily available in Europe. I don't see any red flags on this one; others may have varying opinions.

sverd
Jun-05-2017, 1:10pm
The "Vega" trademark got passed through several hands after C F Martin Co. relinquished it in 1979. Deering Banjos has it now.

I have heard that the Asian Vega mandolins were Korean-made, but I don't know the source of this attribution. This one looks like several other brands of Asian-made instruments. You're talking about spending about $550 on this one. A similar one being sold here (https://reverb.com/item/90550-vega-f-style-prototype-sunburst-mandolin) is said to be solid woods, though it's not listed as "carved," so may be heat-pressed into shape. The seller wants $800 for it, which is high-end, IMHO.

Your price is not excessive for a decent-condition, Asian-made F-model, if it's well set up; it does have a well-fitting hardshell case. There are other makes and models I'd consider before making a decision, but F-model mandolins aren't always readily available in Europe. I don't see any red flags on this one; others may have varying opinions.

Thank you Allen for your answer, it is true that I do not have much choice (I am in France), on occasion I only spotted two instruments, this Vega and a Hofner HMA-5!