PDA

View Full Version : Austin Clark guitar-bodied octave...

Markkunkel
Jun-02-2017, 9:37am

A month or so ago I posted a "Want to Buy: Guitar-bodied Octave Mandolin" ad on the 'Cafe, and I received some very helpful responses. Thanks, everyone.

And the winner (for me!) was this one, of Austin Clark's. Wow... he does such unique and graceful work. Although I had not been fortunate enough to play host to one of his before, I have long admired the care and precision and sound of his instruments. This is #153, which he built for Wintergrass 2015 I think, and was purchased there by the person who was kind enough to sell it to me.

20.5" scale, very fast and slender mandolin-feeling neck, wonderful figured maple back and sides and gorgeous wide-grained Adirondack top. He left it blonde and french polished to show off the wood, and man, I'm glad that he did.

I'm not a naturally skillful player and am still finding my way around this one, but I am so grateful to be giving it home. Thanks, Austin, for the playable art!

Mark

https://youtu.be/Y1DFQ1HVBTY

Ted Eschliman
Jun-02-2017, 11:05am
The archtop tenor guitar Austin built for me two years ago is very similar to your GOM. It's an amazing instrument, too. His work is world class.

Ray(T)
Jun-02-2017, 11:22am
Congratulations, I own the one Ted is pictured playing on the Jazzmando website, during his visit to TAMCO. (It now sports an ebony pickguard and a new tailpiece following a luthiers accident whilst he was drilling an endpin jack hole.)

Spruce
Jun-02-2017, 11:28am
...wonderful instruments...