PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of Bucolo?

chrismartin
Jun-01-2017, 5:10pm
I am interested in the European luthiers, particularly those from Catania in Sicily and their descendants who migrated to Paris in the 1920s and '30s. I have a few guitars from this era and have now acquired a couple of mandolins too, the best of which is by Antoine Di Mauro, one of those Sicilian emigrees. There was another family in Catania by the name of Bucolo, one of whom, Horace Bucolo went to Paris and has a reputation for fine guitars which now fetch high prices. I recently found a mandolin with one of his labels inside and am tempted to make an offer but I wondered if anyone knows any more about these. There are also guitars around with a label that says either 'Bucolo Italy' or, in the case of one I have 'P. Bucolo - Catania'. I have not been able to find much about mandolins by either of the Bucolos but seeing as they came from Catania I would expect they must have made a few. So, my question is, does anyone know anything about any of these Bucolos, or if not, seeing this group seems to focus more on American instruments, can someone direct me to any other group that follow European luthiers. Thanks.

MikeEdgerton
Jun-01-2017, 5:55pm
We have members from around the world, we have members that are knowledgeable about the builders from Catania. It may take a few days for one of them to find this post.

chrismartin
Jun-01-2017, 10:08pm
We have members from around the world, we have members that are knowledgeable about the builders from Catania. It may take a few days for one of them to find this post.

Thank you Mike.
I was not sure how many people know about the lesser known Sicilians. I will wait and see what turns up. I have read some misinformation about identifying Bucolo instruments on guitar forums before, so I am trying to investigate the difference between Horace Bucolo, Bucolo Italy and P. Bucolo Catania.
Chris M.