PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Looking at a Price Mandolin - Has two Labels in it?

DrewWalden
May-26-2017, 7:07pm
I went and looked at a price mandolin this afternoon and upon inspection I noticed that it had two labels inside of it. It appears that it is the same label but one is on top of the other. Why would this be? The mando was a little ruff around the edges, but it played and sounded pretty good. I am concerned about the label though. It seems odd to me. I have had trouble finding out very much information about Price mandolins. Any help is appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5hj4dg91mf5u4ol/IMG_1242.JPG?dl=0

Kind Regards,
Drew

mrmando
May-27-2017, 2:39pm
Well, you could look up Gary Price at his Web site and give him a call at the phone number published there.
http://www.fiberglasscase.com/

DrewWalden
May-30-2017, 8:28am
Well, I bought the Mandolin yesterday because I couldn't stop thinking about it. It sounded so wonderful that I had to have it. I had sent Dr. Price an email on Friday, and this morning I got an email back from Dr. Price validating that it was one of his. One label has date, the other signature. I will add some pictures and possibly a sound recording when I get a chance.

Thanks,
Drew

atetone
Jun-03-2017, 10:07am
I will be looking forward to your opinion on it.
I had a chance to buy one once but couldnt research a value on it and I was a bit worried about the price so I passed on it.
I dont know where they stack up in quality of build, playability, or tone but I have been wondering.

Jim Garber
Jun-04-2017, 6:29pm
A friend of mine commissioned an A-5 from Gary and I sold it for him probably about 8 years ago. Here are pics of the one I had.

atetone
Jun-05-2017, 4:23pm
So Jim how would you rate the quality of build of the Price that you sold.
It looks like it has good quality woods in it.
Did it have good fit and finish and how did it sound?
Any idea of what price range these fit into?

Jim Garber
Jun-07-2017, 8:01pm
I recall it being a nicely made instrument and played well too. I am pretty sure that my friend had commisioned it with an extra wide neck. Here are the specs:

Price A-5 – Handrubbed finish; gold plated price tailpiece with custom engraving; pearl truss rod cover and fern inlay on headstock; gold hardware; ivoroid binding on front and back; 2 piece flamed maple back; with rectangular Canadian HSC

I see on my sales records that I listed it at $3250 in 2009. I would imagine that it sold back then for something like $2800-3000. I don't know if Gary is still making mandolins. Does anyone know?