PDA

View Full Version : it amazes me!

dtb
May-25-2017, 3:32pm
So if'in you know my history, then you know I was a 'grasser, for years, guitar, mandolin, bass, and yes, a little banger, then in 2006 a major stroke took my left side out. So music was a done deal, But maybe not, somewhere along 2009/10, I had one of my mandolins on a stand in front of me, and was digging on some home recordings of the band of folks I played with for like 20+ years, and found that I could do a right hand only chop with the open strings and it sounded pretty good. I was amazed and excited.
Well as life goes on, we came to the decision that the best thing for us, was to to sell the farm, in rural sothern, va. and move to Richmond, va. close to family, grands, an etc. So I got to the point I hardly ever pick up a instrument except to maybe inspect it.
Well since we have been in the city, I would pick up my f5s and my little Eastman 604 had not been out of the case for like two years. And last night I got it out during my normal self medicating, music listening sessions in the music space, and put a strap on, And to my complete amazement, it was in perfect tune, So I dug in for maybe 3/4 tunz, my staying power is really weak.

Sorry for this, but just sayng.

Dan

JEStanek
May-25-2017, 3:34pm
Keep on plugging at it, Dan.

Denny Gies
May-25-2017, 3:38pm
The stroke sucks. Hope you can make some headway. Best of luck.

wildpikr
May-25-2017, 3:50pm
You're onto something, Dan. Don't stop...play what you can [or want at the time] at a tempo comfortable to you [don't worry about making impressions]...brief sessions not getting all tired out...play simply because you enjoy it, then as things return, build your 'new repertoire'. It seems that you are your own therapist at this point - any therapy starts way below any perceived prior ability and builds from there, right? You've taken the first steps...keep on going and don't give up!

Randi Gormley
May-25-2017, 4:47pm
Fantastic. FWIW, a member of our group has suffered from several strokes and each time his self-imposed therapy has been to pick up his instrument(s) and begin the slow process of reclaiming his skills. It has helped him in regaining his music and in other motor skills and helped him come back further than people who were worried about him expected.

billkilpatrick
May-25-2017, 5:02pm
Dan - Forza!

dtb
May-25-2017, 5:57pm
Well, as normal, same thing, except some nights it just does not happen, maybe the next night. Or sumpin like that.

Dan'
oh yeah thanks for the kind words.

JAK
May-25-2017, 5:57pm
Never give up, NEVER!

Charles E.
May-25-2017, 5:58pm
The other mandolin player in our (large) stringband had a stroke a few years ago that disabled his right side and left him unable to to say more then a few words. At one point I was over to his house and we pulled out his old mandolin and sitting next to each other, I strummed the strings and he played the chords to what ever songs we knew. He also plays harmonica and still plays it with our group every week. Music has been a huge part of his recovery.

dtb
May-25-2017, 6:14pm
As I mentioned, thanks for the kind words, just finishing getting into Shady Grove, Spencer Hill style, may need to go eat!

Dan

Northwest Steve
May-25-2017, 6:17pm
Awesome.....keep it up. You should also go buy a lottery ticket..... pulling a mandolin out of the case and having it in tune is rare let alone for two years.

Eric Platt
May-25-2017, 7:06pm
Keep plugging away. Never know what will happen. Know an elderly gent who had a stroke, can't say a lot now, but still plays harmonica. He has a lot of obscure tunes from northern Minnesota. Thankfully his son has been recording him.

MikeZito
May-25-2017, 7:16pm
Playing music is the best physical therapy there is. Sometimes regular PT is boring (as well as painful) so it becomes a chore to do it - but when your therapy is something you love, and something that gives you tangible and pleasurable results, you are much more likely to stick with it, and do it as often as possible. As Mike (Wildpkr) said above; 'You're on to something . . . Don't stop' We are all rooting for you!

Jim Garber
May-25-2017, 7:20pm
The other night we had a music session and after some of the folks left we had an energetic geezer discussion about hearing aids, shoulder surgery, knee replacement and all sorts of dental work.

dtb: if you are up for it dive in. Stop when it is not so much fun but I bet you will slowly get to at least some satisfaction from it all. We are plugging for you!

Jeff Mando
May-25-2017, 7:40pm
My friend had a similar situation happen. He was a very good guitar player prior to that. He still had his strumming hand and came up with some open tuning things on guitar, some with slide, some with one finger sliding type runs. He sounds great and if nobody told you, you would just assume he prefers playing guitar in opening tuning!

Good luck, Dan! :mandosmiley:

leftus maximus
May-26-2017, 5:24am
Fantastic. FWIW, a member of our group has suffered from several strokes and each time his self-imposed therapy has been to pick up his instrument(s) and begin the slow process of reclaiming his skills. It has helped him in regaining his music and in other motor skills and helped him come back further than people who were worried about him expected.

Yep. Music can be a powerful healer. If something similar happened to me I'd probably get right on the harmonica to keep my hand in, though I've obviously no idea how it would affect me in reality. Wishing you strength in your fight DTB.

Rob Beck
May-26-2017, 6:18am
I'm not sure how relevant this it to Dan's experiences, but I remember hearing about this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/ukfs_news/mobile/newsid_7250000/newsid_7250500/7250594.stm)study into how music can aid stroke recovery.

The reason it resonated with me was because I have suffered migraines with aura (the pre-migraine sensory disturbances) since I was a child. The aura when it hits includes: inability to understand words or to make myself understood, visual disturbances, which include only being able to see half of what I am looking at, numbness and a feeling that my limbs either don't really belong to me, or aren't in the positions I think they are - all of which seem very similar to some stroke symptoms.

One one particular day when a migraine struck at work and I had to travel home on the train, I was feeling very disorientated, and also worried about how I was going to communicate with the ticket inspector. Eventually, I plugged my headphones into my mobile phone and listened to some music. I was astounded. The music seemed to connect to a different part of my brain and made sense when most of the world around me did not. It made me feel a lot calmer.

For the record: I have no medical expertise, this is a personal experience, but it amazed me how the music got through when nothing else could.

Keep at it Dan!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/ukfs_news/mobile/newsid_7250000/newsid_7250500/7250594.stm

dtb
May-26-2017, 12:48pm
My friend had a similar situation happen. He was a very good guitar player prior to that. He still had his strumming hand and came up with some open tuning things on guitar, some with slide, some with one finger sliding type runs. He sounds great and if nobody told you, you would just assume he prefers playing guitar in opening tuning!

Good luck, Dan! :mandosmiley:I guess, when the lightbulb went off, it occurred to me, dang, mandolin is in open tuning, although that was always the case. and the chops really work in G, and D. Blessed that I still have my timing, and hearing, and the fact that I did not sell out and get rid of my instruments, and recording gear, seldomed used, but there if the occasion arises.

Dan

jaycat
May-26-2017, 1:10pm
I saw Pat Martino play a few years ago. You would never believe he was a stroke victim. Simply amazing.

Read more here: http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/music/index.ssf/2014/05/pat_martino_discusses_relearni.html

dtb
May-26-2017, 2:11pm
I guess, when the lightbulb went off, it occurred to me, dang, mandolin is in open tuning, although that was always the case. and the chops really work in G, and D. Blessed that I still have my timing, and hearing, and the fact that I did not sell out and get rid of my instruments, and recording gear, seldomed used, but there if the occasion arises.

Dan
Sorry folks, I lied, I did sell the banjo!LOL.

Dan

dtb
May-27-2017, 4:45pm
So this evening, going in order, I got the Eastman Md 615 out and it was in tune except some pairs needed tweeking. Hard for me, cause I have to reach over with my right hand and turn the tuner, and since the weather here is still on the cooler side, my shirt sleeve has a thing about touching the string, but I did gat her very close and jammed along with a few of my recordings.

Dan