PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Protection Suggestions

CES
May-24-2017, 2:55pm
Going to see Chris Thile and Bela Fleck tonight, and am stoked! I won't need ear protection for this show, but have a couple much louder concerts coming up in the near future, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for good quality ear protection that could be useful for concerts as well as a loud band setting. Classic foam plugs muffle the sound too much. I know there are much better options available, but it's difficult to sort through the hype in a Google search.

My wife has a pair from a company called Eargasm (yes, that's their name, not being fresh) that she's not entirely happy with. They work well, but when she sings along she hears herself much better than the band she's trying to sing with. I think she bought them based off a drummer's review on Amazon...

I don't necessarily need 400 dollar custom fitted plugs, but am willing to spend some cash for a pair that meets my needs and will last. Any suggestions appreciate! :mandosmiley:

Tobin
May-24-2017, 3:30pm
I have had good luck with my earplugs from Etymotic Research (https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection.html). I use the ETY earplugs, being a fairly low-cost option. They do make some customized high-end hearing protection devices running upwards of $300, but the $12 set of ETY plugs works for most everything I need. I use them when playing my fiddle without a mute, for mowing the yard and weed-eating, being on construction jobsites, etc. They lower volume without killing the sound like foam plugs or other industrial-type plugs.

Obviously, if you're looking for true musician-quality earplugs, you're going to have to spend some serious money. But the ETY plugs are a decent low-cost option.

Dave Sheets
May-24-2017, 3:33pm
I've been using "Hearoes" brand plugs when playing in rock bands. They have a bunch of different models, they reduce the sound level without coloring it much, comfortable. Wide range of prices, I think they were about $10 a set. NFI on my part.

pops1
May-24-2017, 3:33pm
I like to sit in the first row of the balcony, the sound is best, not as loud and I bring binoculars so I can see what brand of instrument or an expression. Great view with no heads in the way and it is usually open so if the concert is not sold out those are the last seats taken, I just move there, tho sometimes I have to sit a row or two back from the front.

MikeZito
May-24-2017, 3:37pm
I second Sheets recommendation of Hearos - good protection, without taking away from the overall pleasure of listening.

Capt. E
May-24-2017, 3:45pm
My wife and I went to see Tom Petty recently here in Austin and I noticed one interesting side benefit to earplugs (I think they were there ETF's...around $10). It cut out a particular high frequency that came from the stupid small PA speakers that hung over our heads and to me, improved the sound. I wish they had just disabled the things. Then again, arena concerts are usually pretty poor places acoustically. You can be guaranteed that Chris Thile and Bela Fleck will make sure that is not the case with the venues they play. One of my all time favorite concerts was the Punch Brothers at the Cactus Cafe on the UT campus. It may seat 60 people at best and we had a front row seat. Next would be the Carolina Chocolate drops in their first appearance at SXSW.

Billy Packard
May-24-2017, 3:53pm
I had the custom ones made and they work really well.

The part that's molded to and fits in the ear has a hole that accepts a specially made 'attenuator'. The attenuator is available in three 'sizes', each reduces db by a specific amount while letting in a fairly well balanced range of frequency from base drums to cymbals. They clip the volume to a specific level which has presented a bit of an issue with me and my band as I can't always tell when my electric guitar volume gets to high. But my guys don't hesitate to let me know!

These are great for R&R rehearsals as well as gigs and concerts. I never use them with my mandolin work because the volume never gets too high.

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com

ps I got them from an audiologist.

guidoStow
May-24-2017, 4:02pm
I have these: Etymotic High Fidelity Earplugs (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044DEESS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1) and they work great. The best $14 you could spend to protect your hearing and not limit the enjoyment of music.

J Mangio
May-24-2017, 4:22pm
Never used them while performing or attending concerts, but have used them
while staying in motels with noisy neighbors close by. After many years of loud environments, I can hear a pin drop.
I'd use the elcheapo foam or rubber type,
and adjust the depth of insertion to your
comfort level.

mandocrucian
May-24-2017, 9:07pm
For lawn mowing, power tools etc, (maximum decibel reduction) I (always) use the orange foam plugs which you can get 4 pair/$1 at the Dollar Store. (If you go to Walmart, the same plugs will be 25% cheaper if you get them in sporting goods as shooting plugs than if you get them in the hardware section.) I keep an Rx bottle with some foam plugs dangling by a shoelace from the mower handle. Fwiw, I also always wear gloves to keep the mower vibration from making the hands numb.

I also have some Silencio NRR 7 plugs which Walmart used to carry years ago. But they are available elsewhere.
http://images1.opticsplanet.com/365-240-ffffff/opplanet-silencio-soft-rubber-internal-valve-earplugs-w-case-29914.jpg

For a bit more decibel reduction, I also have a pair of the Etymotic ER-20s.

I use the Silencios and Etymotic plugs on gigs; overall stage volume determines which pair I use; I
may change from one pair to the other during the night depending on sonic circumstances. In the last few bands (electric and/or semi-electric) I've played with, I was the only one onstage using any hearing protection, and would be the only who didn't have ringing ears at the end of the night. (I'll stick these in my pocket if we happen to be going to a club or concert to hear someone else. At the least, there's always some orange foam plugs kept in the glovebox in case it slips my mind.)

CES
May-24-2017, 10:49pm
Appreciate the suggestions, keep them coming! 3 Mangio, that's what I've been doing, but it muffles too much of the character of the sound, IMO. Great for shooting, not so much for hearing the nuances of a vintage tube amp.

Sorry for typos, on phone. Thile/Fleck were spectacular. The venue was better than expected (typically does smaller draw off Broadway shows, but not an "acoustically perfect" room), but we were close enough that the amplification didn't matter...front row, so we could hear how they sounded without the mics. Simply phenomenal, both of them. I've always appreciated Bela, but he has himself a new fanboy (ok, I'm 42, eye roll). It's clear that he has influenced a generation of pickers, Pickles notably so.

For the mando geeks (ok, all of us), Chris primarily played what looked like a TF 140, but also played what looked like a BC on a few songs. On one song he started on the Wegen, but switched to the BC after a very dramatic pause after the intro...cracked me up. Kidding aside, the musicianship was sublime. Even my generally banjo hating wife had a great time, and a great appreciation of how good they are...

Pops, agree totally with your approach. But, in the pit at a Five Finger Death Punch show, or Linkin Park, which is coming this fall, I need some plugs!! (Yes, I have musical ADD)...

Jill McAuley
May-24-2017, 11:38pm
I'm a drummer and the ear plugs I use are Earasers (https://www.earasers.net). They're the first ear plugs I've had that I actually use, because they cut out the damaging frequencies without making the rest of the music sound like you're underwater or something. Highly recommend them!

Tobin
May-25-2017, 7:22am
For lawn mowing, power tools etc, (maximum decibel reduction) I (always) use the orange foam plugs which you can get 4 pair/$1 at the Dollar Store. (If you go to Walmart, the same plugs will be 25% cheaper if you get them in sporting goods as shooting plugs than if you get them in the hardware section.) I keep an Rx bottle with some foam plugs dangling by a shoelace from the mower handle. Fwiw, I also always wear gloves to keep the mower vibration from making the hands numb.
Yep. I always wear gloves (and eye protection too) when mowing. After getting a piece of debris actually embedded in my eyeball once, I consider it an absolute requirement. It may seem dorky to wear full PPE for something as mundane as mowing a yard, but I don't care.

I also have some Silencio NRR 7 plugs which Walmart used to carry years ago. But they are available elsewhere.
http://images1.opticsplanet.com/365-240-ffffff/opplanet-silencio-soft-rubber-internal-valve-earplugs-w-case-29914.jpg

I have those same earplugs too, but only use them as back-ups if I can't find my good ones. I hate them for two reasons. Firstly, they don't seem to work very well for damping noise. The white plastic insert has a hole in the end, and I had to put a piece of electrical tape over that hole to try to improve it (which didn't make much difference). Secondly, the shape of the earplug is painful! The part that goes in your ear seems very hard and non-forgiving. They give me a headache. The ridged pieces are stiff and don't bend very easily to conform to the ear canal. They may work for some folks' ears, but for mine they are terrible. It's like having a stick shoved in my ear, and does about the same job of damping the noise.

CES
May-27-2017, 7:40am
Thanks, everyone. Will probably order some Earasers and either Hearos or ETY today. Greatly appreciate it!

Ted Eschliman
May-28-2017, 7:22am
I used the Etymotics for a couple years, but graduated to the Earasers. My middle-aged ears have problems with the thunderous frequency of kick drum and bass. The contemporary praise music in our church was hard for me to enjoy Sunday mornings without this protection. Nice thing about the Earasers is they fit deeply and are hard to see, so I don't come off as "judgmental." I can also keep them and hear during the sermon. I also use them to keep me sane during the grueling 4-day din of the NAMM tradeshow floor.

Astro
May-28-2017, 10:14am
Just bought the medium standard ear erasers. Thanks Jill&Ted and all for the scoop. BTW for whatever reason they are 10 bucks cheaper thru Amazon than thru the website and if you click the see more button it reveals you can also get the storage cans with them for the same 39 dollar price.

I have pairs of the cheap foam ones you buy in multi packs at Lowes but I never use them because I can't hear. Our percussionist used to only play cajon but now decided he wants a mini kit and he bangs the hi hat and/or snare like they need to be punished and I just cant take it. Sometimes he smacks them every beat. Maybe this will help me get through tight-spaced gigs where I feel he is playing in my ear (he sits right behind me).

Capt. E
May-28-2017, 10:17pm
Invest in the Hearing Aid industry also.

Carl Robin
May-29-2017, 1:29pm
I like: QuietEar Reusable Musician and Motorcycle Ear Plugs from Ear Plug Superstore online. Mine have inadvertently gone through the washer and dryer, again and again, and they are still fine. I can forget that they are in, because they are comfortable. The painfully loud sounds at work don't hurt wearing these. I can still have a conversation, even talk on the phone, loud sounds are diminished, but still loud. About $5.

mtm
May-30-2017, 3:58pm
The last few rock shows I've been to have been way too loud ... you guys sold me on ear protection. Went with the ETY ER20. It will be interesting to see how they work.

barry
May-30-2017, 4:30pm
I bought a set of Earasers this past weekend based on input from this thread. I had a chance to test them out yesterday in an electric format that utilizes way too much amplification, in way too little space. They work as advertised. A product well worth the price.

billkilpatrick
May-30-2017, 4:43pm
… The contemporary praise music in our church was hard for me to enjoy Sunday mornings without this protection. …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYb8Wm6-QfA

billkilpatrick
May-30-2017, 4:53pm
Could be that only certain frequencies will cause you this discomfort while others will not. Might be worthwhile to have your hearing checked and buy plugs tailored to protect you accordingly. With me, there's a certain bass frequency that will have me propelled out of my seat and striding for the exit even before i'm aware of what I'm doing. It really, really hurts. Hope you can sort that out.

Astro
May-30-2017, 10:47pm
I received my ear erasers and tried them on just for comfort and yes --very comfortable and I felt I could still hear fine.

I wonder how much good they do though. On the box it says they are rated as only cutting 5dbs. Elsewhere on the box (and in their web page ads) it says they cut 19 dbs of the ear damaging frequencies. I'm not sure what that means really as far as protection.

Which one is it? Of course dbs are logarithmic so 1 db difference is a 10 x difference but if its only cutting 100 dbs down to 95 you still could be getting some damage.

I guess I'll find out next time I play in front the drum kit.

Tobin
May-31-2017, 7:10am
Astro, as I understand it, the Earasers don't provide the same level of noise reduction at all frequencies. They have what they call a "unique attenuation V-filter" which basically flatten the curve so that you get less noise reduction at lower frequencies and more reduction at the higher frequencies where hearing damage usually occurs.

They have some fancy looking charts of it here: https://www.earasers.net/pages/specifications

Charlie Bernstein
May-31-2017, 7:45am
Old jazz players use cigarette filters.

Tobin
May-31-2017, 8:09am
Old jazz players use cigarette filters.

I will admit to having done that at the gun range when I forgot my hearing protection. Not very effective, in my experience!

mtm
Jul-05-2017, 2:31pm
So, while attending a few days of Milwaukee's Summerfest, I was compelled to give my unused "ETY ER20" plugs a try, because by and large EVERY stage seemed pretty loud to me. So, I brought the ER20s along on the third day and first gave them a try at about 15 feet away from a Marshall stack being used by a metal band on a small side stage (no, I don't like metal, but what better way to test the plugs, right?). The dude had it turned up to the proverbial "eleven". I found the plugs cut the volume way too much ... it sounded like the band was in the next town over. I also gave them a test with a Chicago blues band (Key Saydak) at 15 rows back, dead center and again, it just seemed like all the band energy was lost. Maybe I have them in too far? Anyway, I put them away and just went with loud....

CES
Jul-21-2017, 6:58am
I just received a pair of Earasers this week. Preliminary impressions in my basement are good. I'd planned to test them in the pit at Linkin Park in a couple of weeks, but, alas, RIP, Chester. Prayers for his family, friends, and band mates.

Seeing Jason Isbell in September, though the room isn't really a "crank it up" kind of venue. We'll see...

Thanks to all who have chimed in with recommendations/advice!

pops1
Jul-21-2017, 7:51am
Years ago when running printing presses I decided to wear earplugs. It took about a week for my ears to adjust then I could hear things I couldn't hear when I wasn't wearing them. Not hearing the band as well with them in, maybe put them in a few hours before to let your ears adjust.

A 4
Jul-21-2017, 10:55am
I've been using Alpine Musicsafe ear protection. I've used several types that don't provide as much attenuation as industrial earplugs, which I think is a good feature. Those take away too much of the sounds.

I have found the Alpines and Ear Dubs to allow music to come through while still providing protection. I generally use the Alpines because they come with different inserts that provide different levels of reduction, so you can put in the silver ones if the music is only a little loud, or the gold ones for super loud. I have not tried most of the other suggestions in the thread, though.

mtm
Jul-21-2017, 2:14pm
Speaking of Jason Isbell, I saw him recently at Milwaukee's Summerfest (Outlaw Festival) and he was REALLY LOUD ... he was good, but really loud (saw him indoors a year ago and that was really loud too). The whole Outlaw Fest thing was very loud ....

I brought along my new ETY ER20s that I was previously dissatisfied with (see above), but I was desperate, so I simply didn't push them in so far ... that seemed to be the trick and I don't think I could have made it through 6 hrs of LOUD music without them.

I saw 3 Phish shows in Chicago over the weekend and brought the plugs along, but the sound was most outstanding and I didn't need them... still, I have them handy now, just in case.

Don Grieser
Jul-21-2017, 2:25pm
I've been using my Shure In Ear monitors plugged into my Zoom H2 in record mode. They are very effective at blocking the ambient sound and I can hear the music clearly at the volume I choose.

CES
Jan-16-2018, 12:13pm
Don, thanks for the input.

So, I ended up having to give my Jason Isbell tickets away due to another conflict, but I saw XAmbassadors with my wife and kids at the Fillmore a few weeks ago, a standing room only venue in Charlotte that gets you really close to the stage, and tends to be very loud. While not exactly the show I might have picked for myself, they're a good band and have some fun music, which they play loudly. Wore the Earasers, which helped some, though I still had the "cotton in my ears" feeling after the show. No ringing, which is good, but not sure they're a long term solution for me. That said, I tend to have issues finding ear buds that fit my ears well, so it may be just me. I'll give them another shot or two and see. If that doesn't work I'll likely go back to the foam shooting/mowing plugs and just accept what I'm missing (pops, agree, you do get more used to them after a while).

Thanks again to all who chimed in with recommendations. If I stumble across any other successful options I'll chime back in.

allenhopkins
Jan-16-2018, 3:06pm
Apropos of nothing, why do we go to musical performances -- and I assume we go to listen, not to score some dope, crowd-surf, or hook up with a hottie -- where we have to wear earplugs?

The term "oxymoron" comes to mind: I went to hear Band X, but I couldn't hear because they were too loud...? I once wandered by accident into a space where a rock band was playing so loud that I could feel the air pressure from the bass speakers against my chest. I thought, "This is silly. I could go outside, cross the street, and hear the music at a 'normal' volume." But then I didn't care to.

Just an ol' grouch...

stevedenver
Jan-16-2018, 5:39pm
Apropos of nothing, why do we go to musical performances -- and I assume we go to listen, not to score some dope, crowd-surf, or hook up with a hottie -- where we have to wear earplugs?

The term "oxymoron" comes to mind: I went to hear Band X, but I couldn't hear because they were too loud...? I once wandered by accident into a space where a rock band was playing so loud that I could feel the air pressure from the bass speakers against my chest. I thought, "This is silly. I could go outside, cross the street, and hear the music at a 'normal' volume." But then I didn't care to.

Just an ol' grouch...

Well you're not alone.
I get that volume, tempo, et al can add energy.

I saw jeff beck, and sat next to the wall o speakers.
Had plugs, my metal playing, iron pumping , meathead buddy didn't.
Concert ended, my ears felt great. And i could clearly hear it all.
I know hes losing his hearing.

I went to a violent femmes/ echo and the bunnymen concert, very civilized, seemingly not too loud, but even after thirty minutes, i couldnt take it without plugs. I could just feel a bit of discomfort.

I use ety 20's, always, all the way in. I bought three sets, so im never without.
I still have good hearing, and im in the camp, i want to listen without pain, or, damage.

Hearing damage results from a combination of db and length of exposure.

The simple truth is that with care andnormal volume, most of us will lose some hearing by 60ish. No reason to speed this up, especially if you love to listen and to play.

Mandoplumb
Jan-17-2018, 2:45pm
I listen to and go to acoustic conserts only so I have never had to use earplugs, but I must play louder than those I listen to because people put in earplugs when I play.

JeffD
Jan-17-2018, 3:59pm
I listen to and go to acoustic conserts only so I have never had to use earplugs, but I must play louder than those I listen to because people put in earplugs when I play.

:))

CES
Jan-17-2018, 6:08pm

Just an ol' grouch...

Because I’m not quite as curmudgeonly as you...yet. Acoustic/new grass/bluegrass are my true home, but I like Five Finger Death Punch, Ghost, Bullet For My Valentine, Breaking Benjamin, Shinedown, and some others in that vein. I also like some hard thumping rap/hip-hop when it’s done well (not an oxymoron). Some of us like to feel the air pressure from the bass speakers...My wife likes alt rock with a good thumping bass she can dance to...and, she’s hot, and I enjoy going to said concerts and dancing with her. And, it was a nice night out with my almost adult kids, who had a blast, and were in front of my dancing wife and self, so didn’t have to see it ;). Funny thing was, there was a couple there that must have been in their mid 50s just to our left (one with and one without earplugs), who appreciated me protecting their standing room only space a bit, and several 70 pluses in the crowd, most post-Nam and not wearing ear plugs...not speculating, I asked and offered appreciation for their service. I work a long hours and high stress job, and sometimes it’s nice to cut loose a little...

I’d like to enjoy/experience what I (and my wife and kids) enjoy now, but still be able to appreciate the nuances of Thile’s Loars, and whatever nice mandolins I’m fortunate enough to acquire, when I’m your age. So, there ya go...

I’ve had the pleasure of seeing him solo in an “acoustically perfect” room, and, wow. Want that when we’re in our 70s as well, but not going to pass on seeing the Killers or Judah and the Lion in the next couple of weeks, either. Ear plugs are my friends :mandosmiley:

(Not going to apologize for wanting to hook up with my “hottie” wife of 21 years, but agree the crowd surfing gets annoying, especially for my old man shoulders. Pits are actually quite fun, but having to constantly shuttle overweight men overhead gets old in a hurry)...

CES
Jan-17-2018, 6:11pm
And, Mandoplumb, :)):)):))

allenhopkins
Jan-18-2018, 12:26pm
...Not going to apologize for wanting to hook up with my “hottie” wife of 21 years, but agree the crowd surfing gets annoying, especially for my old man shoulders. Pits are actually quite fun, but having to constantly shuttle overweight men overhead gets old in a hurry)...

You left out the "scoring some dope" option...?

Cochiti Don
Jan-20-2018, 2:17pm
The last few rock shows I've been to have been way too loud ... you guys sold me on ear protection. Went with the ETY ER20. It will be interesting to see how they work.
Concerts have been way too loud for so long that no one can remember when it was pleasurable to hear musicians without protection. i was a sound man for 9 years. I gave up trying to talk to bass players and horn players. I don’t even go to movies anymore without plugs. One qualification, I did go to a Crosby, Stills and Nash concert in early 80’s that was exceptionally mellow even close up

allenhopkins
Jan-20-2018, 10:26pm
This is hijack-isn, but: for the past 40 years, I've been involved in setting up public performances, for myself, bands in which I play, and for others. I have a wall of my garage devoted to my PA equipment, which includes three systems of different sizes; I also have small stand-alone amps for "intimate" settings.

It has never occurred to me, whether I was amplifying a club gig, a dance, a concert in an auditorium, or an outdoor performance, to generate the level of sound that would require listeners to use ear protection. As a very amateur "sound man," I supply and operate systems for small neighborhood festivals, town concerts, school assemblies, private functions, country dances -- a variety of musical events. Every now and then I may be asked to "turn it down," but that's when there's a level of non-musical activity, such as private conversations, commercial transactions, etc. included as part of the "scene."

Right now I'm co-managing and booking two small acoustic concert series, Tunes By the Tracks and Rochester Folkus, in "listening rooms" in my area. At one, a great majority of the performers use no amplification at all; at the other, there's one Ear Trumpet condenser mic that's allowed, no more.

Now, this is "folk music," not rock or hip-hop or electric country. I know listeners to those types of music have different expectations, and are usually many years younger than me. There are obvious qualitative differences from the acoustic music with which I'm involved, and I don't want to sound like the grouchy old neighbor ordering the kids off his lawn.

But i still have trouble dealing with the concept that it's musically better to play at such a volume that ears in the audience are endangered, whatever style one is playing or listening to. Probably I'm just showing my age (and jealously guarding what remains of my hearing), but why have music that's too loud to be heard? Ain't that an oxymoron, as I suggested above?

Oh, look, it's after 10 p.m.; time for my warm milk and Ritz crackers, then off to beddy-bye...

gtani7
Jan-21-2018, 8:01am
You could look at the offerings by IEM companies like Westone, Etymotic, Alclair, including customs where an audiologist makes molds of your ears. They don't have to be expensive, I think ones like the Ety20's mentioned above are engineered pretty well for adjustable attenuation inserts, fit and hygiene.

I've read in violin/fiddlers forums that they need more attenuation in the left ear, assuming they play righty, which is a unique challenge.

CES
Jan-21-2018, 11:06am
You left out the "scoring some dope" option...?
:)):)):)) (Not my thing, but, sure! You do you ;)! J/K)

CES
Jan-21-2018, 11:16am
Alan, I'm not disagreeing with you at all that these shows are too loud, but I'm not yet willing to just stop going to everything but small room acoustic shows just yet. Hence the need for some decent ear plugs.

I recently saw Alison Krauss, Ron Block, Barry Bales, and a couple members of the Carter family at an outdoor mega-show venue where I've also seen Linkin Park, Coldplay, and a ton of alt rock bands through the years. Massive walls of speakers everywhere, stage and several hundred seats are under a roof with a large hill seating area behind, concrete construction, so the sound is focused out to the lawn as well as being ridiculously loud at most shows. I was actually worried they would sound terrible in that venue, but, ya know what, they were awesome, and my ears didn't hurt a bit. Turns out those speakers work just fine at "lower than jet engine" decibel levels, too. Granted, that was a different crowd. No dancing, everyone sat, and everyone shut their traps and actually listened to the music, but, still. There's no reason at all that volumes have to be so painfully high.

Charlie Bernstein
Jan-21-2018, 12:17pm
I knew a jazz guy who favored cigarette filters.

Never asked him whether they were new or recycled.