PDA

View Full Version : Versatility in a mandolin

trabb
May-20-2017, 6:11pm
Hi all,

Since I don't have the luxury of going out and playing tons of different mandolins, I'm looking for some help narrowing down my choices. Right now I have a Kentucky 140 that was a great starter instrument that I want to upgrade. I also have a beautiful Celtic mandolin that I love but that doesn't offer the versatility for what I play most of the time - in church settings where songs may range from bluegrass to hymns to whatever was on the radio last week.

Thinking in the $2,000-2,500 range, what would you reccommend as the best all-round option that would fit well with most styles if music?

I know one response will be "go play lots of mandolins," but if there's anything like a consensus for two or three options, I can then seek those out to try.

Thanks!

Loubrava
May-20-2017, 6:30pm
IMO a Weber Bitteroot is a very balanced mando it's got great tone at any volume good chop when you want it and a very very defined sweet tone for playing melodies or anything you play on it, other mando players comment on how good my Weber sounds. And I pretty much suck as a mando player but been in out of bands for last 20 years (not as mando player) so I have a pretty decent ear. Anyway my vote is cast.
Good Luck with your search
Lou

sblock
May-20-2017, 7:19pm
In that price range, a used (but lower-end) Weber or a Collings F5-style would be pretty good options. Or consider or a new A model -- more possibilities available here, incl. Weber, Collings, Northfield, Eastman, and a number of single luthiers.

MontanaMatt
May-20-2017, 10:00pm
Montana made Webers, and Ratliff. I'm biased, no shame:grin:

Bill Kammerzell
May-20-2017, 11:15pm
Used Weber F. New Collings or Weber A. Northfield A.

Mike Snyder
May-21-2017, 1:16am
Asking the question in the form you used will get you a lot of opinions and preferences and very little useful information. Too many of us, because we love our instruments, start to feel that it is the "best" a real "banjo killer" totally and visually the acme of excellence. It gets tiresome and a thread like this will get those responses. The reality is that there are a bunch of really good mandolins around. I like mine, my buddy likes his. It is NOT a contest.
The best all around option, which is what you asked for, will be defined by your preferences, your ear, your needs. It is the Schmergle Devastator conundrum. The best of the best, ultimate mandolin that does it all. Does not exist short of a Lloyd. And I'm not much help, I know. How about this;

I play bluegrass if I have to, old-time because I love it, Irish trad because I really like it, rock because I grew up with it and it is the language my soul speaks, jazz because it is sooooo cool stuff, Klezmer because..........it's pretty cool, too. Eclectic, it's all music and it's all good. The one mandolin STYLE, not builder not not not, style.........Arched top with f holes, F or A. Buy as good a quality as you can afford. Get out and play a bunch if you can. Everybody has a dog in the fight. Try not to brand-focus. Good luck.

Ron McMillan
May-21-2017, 1:41am
I think that true versatility comes from the player rather than the brand. A very fine A5 is easily achievable in your price bracket. Northfield's M is under $2K new. Pava's entry model is under $2.5K, also new, as is a Girouard A5. Myriad Collings and Webers and Northfields are at or under $2.5K, second-hand.

billkilpatrick
May-21-2017, 2:04am
Why not get two mandolins - respectable, well made instruments, more or less within your budget - like a Loar or an Eastman, and a Big Muddy?

Mandobart
May-21-2017, 3:29am
In your church settings are you using a sound system? I ask because amplification, especially with a pickup in the instrument, is the great equalizer. Most of the nuances that make any acoustic mando particularly suited to any given genre will be gone when the sounds comes out the speakers.

Northwest Steve
May-21-2017, 9:54am
Strings and picks can make a huge difference on an instrument as well.

pheffernan
May-21-2017, 10:16am
Thinking in the $2,000-2,500 range, what would you reccommend as the best all-round option that would fit well with most styles if music?

If you're thinking of buying new, then the Collings MT makes a lot of sense, especially as a distance purchase, as it is so consistently and impeccably constructed. However, were you open to used options, then the top of your budget puts you in range for an A5 with all of the goodies from a host of quality independent builders.

Br1ck
May-21-2017, 1:30pm
If you're laying out that kind of cash, you can find something special, and you can certainly find something with a voice that sets smack in the middle of the tonal spectrum.

Or, you can get a mando that does warm an woody with excellence and immediately start saving for one that is bright, brash and punchy. I vote for this two mando method. But don't divide your pile of money.