PDA

View Full Version : Cotton Eyed Joe

Mark Wilson
May-20-2017, 10:24am
Looking to learn Cotton Eyed Joe.

Does anyone know the instrumental progression that 'might' get played most often at BG jams?

Is this close?
AAAD/ AAEA/ AAAD/ AAEA/
AAAA/ AAEA/ AAAA/ AAEA/

thanks -

Mandoplumb
May-20-2017, 12:38pm
In my neck of the woods the last measure is correct the first 3 would be all A's

Mark Wilson
May-20-2017, 12:56pm
For both parts or just the last line going AAAA/AAAA/AAAA/AAEA?
Thx

Mandoplumb
May-20-2017, 7:09pm
Both parts. Chords on fiddle tunes/old-time tunes can vary widely from place to place and picker to picker.

Ivan Kelsall
May-21-2017, 1:13am
I heard this version donkey's years ago & i just love Bob Wills' take on the tune. I learned it 'note for note' on the mandolin,both the fiddle & vocal parts. Not exactly 'Bluegrassy',but simply 'musical,
Ivan

https://youtu.be/363Nlp3w050

There's a nice version by 'Asleep at The Wheel' on YouTube - it sounds a bit like 'Sally Goodin' the way they play it. IMHO ,it's great to have many versions of tunes like this = something for everyone.

Mark Wilson
May-21-2017, 6:49am
it sounds a bit like 'Sally Goodin' the way they play it. IMHO ,it's great to have many versions of tunes like this = something for everyone.Both tunes are my favorites on the fiddle. That BW version is a classic - I like to hear that tune with vocals.

Mark Wilson
May-21-2017, 7:00am
Both parts. Chords on fiddle tunes/old-time tunes can vary widely from place to place and picker to picker.Dug deeper on YT last night. Your neck of the woods version seems to be the BG jam standard. The melody would probably fit over either but for my practice track I'll use the 2 chord version. Thx Mandoplumb