PDA

View Full Version : Block of wood under strings between nut and truss rod cover?

PiginaPen
May-14-2017, 1:52pm
At mandolessons.com the guy has what appears to be a block of wood under the strings between the nut and truss rod cover. It slides around when he touches it. I first noticed it on his Circle be Unbroken lesson. Any idea what this is for?

http://www.mandolessons.com/lessons/songs/wtcbu1

Eric L
May-14-2017, 2:04pm
Good question!
Here's the video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=GUEO1Vd11Wk

mandroid
May-14-2017, 2:07pm
<guess>

may not be wood, leather perhaps? the other place to hook up that strap...
with a button on it, unseen behind the headstock?

:whistling:

fscotte
May-14-2017, 2:15pm
Probably to cancel out any unwanted overtones from the strings.

MediumMando5722
May-14-2017, 2:51pm
I stuck a piece of packing material under there on my Eastman when I got it, intending to replace it with something more aesthetically pleasing. Nearly a year later, it's still there.

MikeEdgerton
May-14-2017, 3:13pm
It looks like leather and I'm sure he was having some problems with overtones.

DHopkins
May-14-2017, 6:51pm
I'm betting leather because it would be a little more forgiving on the finish as well as movement across the strings during tuning.

darylcrisp
May-15-2017, 1:44am
I sent Baron an email regarding this thread-hopefully he will come get it and set us straight on the matter.
I'm thinking in some of the older videos he had a leather piece there, that looks different than what it used to be.

d

Tobin
May-15-2017, 7:17am
Looks like leather to me. It's common to see a piece of leather or felt under there to kill any ringing or overtones from the strings between nut and tuners. Google any photo of Mike Marshall playing his Loar and you'll see a similar thing.

Charlie Bernstein
May-15-2017, 7:18am
Lots of people use leather.

I use overtones. Easier and cheaper!

Baron Collins-Hill
May-15-2017, 8:42am
It is indeed a little bit of leather to get rid of some overtones between the nut and tuners. I was doing some recording one day and was getting a really strong Bb resonance from somewhere in the room. I spent 20 minutes muffling the strings of every instrument in the room, repositioning myself to see if it was coming from some weird reflection off a wall or ceiling, and tried everything else I could think of. Finally found it hiding above the nut. I doubt it is even still happening, but the leather isn't doing any harm up there anyway. I tend to mute above the nut and below the bridge on all my instruments, as I feel it focuses the sound ever so slightly.

Thanks,
Baron

MediumMando5722
May-15-2017, 2:19pm
I tend to mute above the nut and below the bridge on all my instruments, as I feel it focuses the sound ever so slightly.

On my Eastman, chops punch way harder with those areas muffled. If I want a little ringing, I leave unplayed strings unmuted.