PDA

View Full Version : Two different sounds.t to my surprise. were really appealing

red7flag
May-08-2017, 10:08am
Yesterday I was at a jam and right behind me was a mandolin player playing a rather cheep Savanah. I was right in front of her and got full measure of her playing and tone. Many of the tunes she would play two and three finger chords with a fairly thin pick. The result, especially in old timey tunes was very pleasant and added a nice ring to the jam. I think it was Allen Hopkins, but not sure, who said that cheaper mandolins can sound great in old timey type music. Now I see why. Sort of the appeal of an old stand up piano in western and rock-a-billy.
Last Wednesday a great fiddle player, Gretchen Priest-May, brought in a tenor banjo for some Irish sounding tunes (not Irish as I wrote them) she was recording on. This was my first experience with a tenor banjo. I play 5 string, but that is another type of beast. Gretchen made the old, maybe twenties, Gibson tenor sing and added a great vibe to the music. She gave me a chance to play it. She had is strung GDAE and played it with a very slender pick for tremolo. Great sounding instrument and fun to play.
These two instruments brought out new flavors to my palette. Maybe someday... Not the Savanah, but maybe a tenor...

allenhopkins
May-08-2017, 11:15am
...I think it was Allen Hopkins, but not sure, who said that cheaper mandolins can sound great in old timey type music...

Don't remember saying that, but it's true, to some extent. I have played a Strad-O-Lin at a lot of old-time jams, and it fits in well. Mandolin in old-time music doesn't have the established, closed-chorded off-beat "chop" role that it does in bluegrass. I play many open-string chords, as well as melodies, in old-time playing, and quite a few mandolins sound good in that context; I've also used a Martin Style A (not really a "cheapo," but a non-bluegrass mandolin), as well as oval-hole Gibsons and Eastmans.

Br1ck
May-08-2017, 11:17am
I have a Stella guitar I bought strictly to play bottleneck stride on. Stuck a retro Laurence magnetic pickup on it. The only thing it's good for is the blues, but it nailers that sound. Cheap and trashy.

Ken
May-08-2017, 11:46am
Absolutely agree. Different instruments, of all levels of quality, can add a lot of variation and "authenticity" to songs and styles of music. One example would be David Grisman's tone poems, also, wasn't there an inexpensive mandolin used in "Oh brother where art thou" ?

Jim Garber
May-08-2017, 11:50am
I have also discovered the tenor banjo tuned Irish and while I am getting back into the Irish tunes have been playing it in OT, contra and even a Quebecois session recently. The main problem I have been having is that in the OT session there are some of my 5-string playing friends who don't like to play with the TB. I think they just don't quite know how to fit in with that range tho frankly since I am playing melody along with the fiddles it should not be a real problem.

I have an early 1920s Vega Style M Tubaphone and it is plenty loud but I also like the funky sound of the old skin head that is on it. They made those with two sizes of heads and mine has the larger one which is close to 12 inches. Lots of fun thos it does throw off my fiddle intonation since the scale is much longer than a fiddle or mandolin.

MikeZito
May-08-2017, 1:51pm
I have always loved cheap mandolins - as a matter of fact, I once did an album called 'Cheap Mandolins and Old-Time Country Music'.

Many years ago I made a cheap homemade recording of the old-time gospel song 'Tramp On The Street'. For the recording I sang and accompanied myself on only the mandolin. I sent a copy of the recording to old-time country music stars Ray & Ina Patterson. In response to receiving my CD they sent me a letter telling me how much they both loved the sound of my mandolin . . . I never told them that it was done on a cheap ply-top Morgan Monroe 'beginner' model.

So, yes - every once in a while you can find a relative no-name gem at a cheap price.

Mandoplumb
May-09-2017, 5:29am
This is true for any instrument in any style.Don Reno made a couple of recording with a banjo that any bluegrasser would say subdued terrible, but for that recording and for effect it worked.

William Smith
May-09-2017, 6:50am
This is true for any instrument in any style.Don Reno made a couple of recording with a banjo that any bluegrasser would say subdued terrible, but for that recording and for effect it worked.

What Reno tunes are you talking about? I cut my eye teeth on the Reno! He is and will always be my favorite banjoist... Not many that can or play his style. Don's son can, that Skinner guy can do it, My Uncles Dick and Mike Smith can play in that style. Eddie Adcock could back in the day.. I know its all personal opinion but what if he stuck with Monroe instead of Earl? I think he was a bluegrass boy before Scruggs? I'm sure Monroe nuts would know that answer. I think I got off topic but had to chime in when Reno was mentioned. Don was truly a one of a kind master of the 5 string and he sure could tear up flatpicking on the guitar. OK there is my plug this morning for Don a true bluegrass hero!

Tobin
May-09-2017, 7:10am
Yesterday I was at a jam and right behind me was a mandolin player playing a rather cheep Savanah. I was right in front of her and got full measure of her playing and tone. Many of the tunes she would play two and three finger chords with a fairly thin pick. The result, especially in old timey tunes was very pleasant and added a nice ring to the jam. I think it was Allen Hopkins, but not sure, who said that cheaper mandolins can sound great in old timey type music. Now I see why. Sort of the appeal of an old stand up piano in western and rock-a-billy.

I've sort of noticed the same thing when it comes to OT tunes. I wouldn't say it's universally true, since it really depends on the tune, the style, and the other instruments that are in the mix. But in certain circumstances I do prefer the sound of a mandolin with a brighter, thinner tone. One example would be anything that sounds vaguely like ragtime. For some reason, I love the sound of ragtime on a mandolin that doesn't have a lot of bass or depth of tone.

catmandu2
May-09-2017, 11:08am
...cheaper mandolins can sound great in old timey type music...

Times were, you didn't need 10 or 20 thousand dollars worth of mandolins to sit around playing fiddle tunes. As with everything, social and environmental factors produce conditions of desire. Does the music require it?

*Btw I confess my own mandln desires :)

But speaking of 'cheap' stuff making distinct sounds, rags, etc - I'm a fan. I've accumulated a quiver of cheaply acquired instruments as they were the ones available to me through locality, ebay , etc. And a bunch of rustic music played on them - like rags, dances, songs - bring a lot from these. In a concert setting the'yre not as effective as I play them, but evocative syncopated music can be made on lots of stuff...I've gone out with just one can sometimes :)

JeffD
May-09-2017, 1:31pm
In general, to my tastes, I like a more diverse mix of sounds in OT. Get some washboard in there. Fiddle with an alt tuning. Get that harmonica out. I don't know, resonator mandolin, arch top guitar. Just a cool mix that sounds a little bit thrown together.

There is an old time band called Pretty Little Goat, and they feature what looks like a Big Muddy M-11 and it really really works well. Better I think than a bluegrassy arch top. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SyHr56H0SU#t=12

Mandoplumb
May-09-2017, 4:04pm
What Reno tunes are you talking about? I cut my eye teeth on the Reno! He is and will always be my favorite banjoist... Not many that can or play his style. Don's son can, that Skinner guy can do it, My Uncles Dick and Mike Smith can play in that style. Eddie Adcock could back in the day.. I know its all personal opinion but what if he stuck with Monroe instead of Earl? I think he was a bluegrass boy before Scruggs? I'm sure Monroe nuts would know that answer. I think I got off topic but had to chime in when Reno was mentioned. Don was truly a one of a kind master of the 5 string and he sure could tear up flatpicking on the guitar. OK there is my plug this morning for Don a true bluegrass hero!

If memory serves Highway to Heaven is one. Just noticed I meant to say sounded terrible not subdued terrible. I grew up listening to Top of the Morning with Reno and Smiley, none better, Reno was one of the best on guitar, banjo and singing tenor.I have evertpything Reno and Smiley recorded, not a bad cut.

jaycat
May-09-2017, 4:53pm
Seems to me I remember watching the Reno and Smiley TV show as a kid in Northern Virginia. Early '60s? Does anyone remember that?

Mandoplumb
May-10-2017, 5:04am
Seems to me I remember watching the Reno and Smiley TV show as a kid in Northern Virginia. Early '60s? Does anyone remember that?

You bet. I would get up early be ready for school when Top of the morning came on at 6:30. Mom had to run me out of house at 8:00 to go to school.