PDA

View Full Version : RIP Col. Bruce Hampton

Stevo75
May-02-2017, 8:26am
He will be missed, but what a way to go...

https://www.jambase.com/article/jam-scene-patriarch-col-bruce-hampton-died

For some mandolin content, check out anything that Matt Mundy did when he played with Col. Bruce Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit.

WoodyCTA102
May-02-2017, 9:16am
Hate to hear that.

Somehow, 40+ years ago, I played poker with him a few times. Didn't really know him otherwise, I was just one of about 6 at the table. All I can say is, he was as interesting a poker player as he was an musician, entertainer and person.

There is a youtube of the entire 4 hour concert concert, what I have seen is really jammin. Unfortunately, the Colonel does get sick at the end, and the band keeps playing not realizing it's not typical Hampton. Dang.

RIP.

Spruce
May-02-2017, 10:40am
:disbelief:

:(

Paul Merlo
May-02-2017, 11:46am
I woke up today and my FB feed was all about it. I'm stunned. So shocking and sad, but so many say he couldn't have scripted his exit any better. He was truly a legend and more influential than most of us realize.

If you're bittorrent savvy, you can find Z-man's recording here: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=592742

barry
May-02-2017, 1:13pm
Very sad news indeed. But, I'm sure if Col. Bruce had been allowed to create his own "exit", he would have written it exactly the way it went down.

:mandosmiley:

BTW....The last time I saw the Colonel onstage, he was sitting in for a number with the Cafe's own Atlanta Mando Mike a few month's ago.

Stompboxfreak72
May-02-2017, 6:07pm
My friend was at the show. I saw his posts at 4am and thought it was a hoax. Such a sad but poetic way to go. I saw him with theFiji Mariners and Blues Traveler years ago. He was great in Slingblade as well. RIP.

Matt Livingston
May-03-2017, 3:40pm
The ARU was great and Matt Mundy's mandolin in this band was like all of the others in the band, pivotal to the point that if he wasn't there it wouldn't have been the same. They could play straight up bluegrass, country, jazz, blues, funk, rock, and then somehow meld them together and unthinkable ways. My first real intro to the mandolin circa. 1991. Before I knew who Sam, Dawg, Ronnie, and even Bill was, I knew who Matt Mundy was.