PDA

View Full Version : Blues Mandolin discography

Sellars
Jun-13-2005, 7:08am
Hi all!

what got me thinking is the rock mando group that mandocrucian (right?) is running, which attempts to make a complete discography of rock mandolin.

I though it would be a nice idea to attempt this for blues mandolin. So, I am hoping that this thread can become a long running thread in which people can post blues mandolin players, albums etc.

I don't want some, I want them all! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

I'm planning on beginning this projext next week and I'm planning on keeping you posted on the progress.

So, any ideas, any artists, anything? post it here in this thread.

Oh, as of now, I was thinking to include the whole jugband scene.

best!
Roel

ira
Jun-13-2005, 7:17am
do you want players who are 100% mando, and discs with mando on every track??? if not, the list will expand considerably as there have been many threads with guys who play some mando on some tracks but it isn't their main axe.
2 of the top of my head:
big jack johnson
johnny winter

Sellars
Jun-13-2005, 7:32am
good point!

as of now ANY mando,

so, for instance: Into the purple valley from Ry Cooder would qualify, since it has some blues mando on it.

bluesmandolinman
Jun-13-2005, 8:48am
Great idea !
... and I really hope to hear about someone I donīt know already !

I have quite a long list to throw in here but before I start could you please let me know if you want to start a Yahoo group (as the mandocrucian does with the rock mando thing ) or just post it here ?.... well as Ira said it will become a long list if you include all recordings for each player ( and not only to mention the players ). So please let me know and iīll kick this off !

René http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

mandocrucian
Jun-13-2005, 9:21am
I added a database entitled BLUES Mandolin at RockMando (http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/rockmando/), if you want to use that. #Note #that there is a separate Cooder/Lindley database. Also, a lot of the mando tracks by Johnny Winter, Rory Gallagher etc. are listed in the main Rock Mandolin listings.

Niles H

Sellars
Jun-18-2005, 6:11am
Hey Thanks Niles,

that's great!

One thing I'd like to know for the 78s is their recordlabels and numbers. Is there any chance that such a column can be provided in the datasheet?

I'm gonna get going on this project really soon. In the meantime I invite everybody to put their data in this thread or in Niles' group.

mandocrucian
Jun-18-2005, 9:03am
One thing I'd like to know for the 78s is their record labels and numbers. Is there any chance that such a column can be provided in the datasheet?

Column added.

You've got to sign up for RockMando if you want to view and use and add to the databases. It's not that I'm doing that to try recruiting people to sign up, cause it really doesn't matter much to me one way or the other as numbers or traffic. The reason for the sign-up "hurdle" is to keep out spam and irrelevent stuff (in postings and in database listings) added by bored surfers or one-style jihadists. (One can read the messages regardless.)

RockMando (http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/rockmando/)

NH

bluesmandolinman
Jun-18-2005, 10:22am
Ok letīs ad something here to get it going

Johnny Young Discography :

(A) Chicago Boogie 1947 (P-VINE PCD-1888)
(B) Snooky Pryor (Paula PCD-11)
© CAN'T KEEP FROM CRYING/Topical Blues on the Death of John F.Kennedy (P-VINE PCD-5587)
(D) Modern Chicago Blues (P-VINE PCD-5566)
(E) Johnny Young And His Friends (P-VINE PCD-5564)
(F) Blues Scene USA Vol.4/Mississippi Blues (TEICHIKU ULR-1815-R)
(G) Blues All Around My Bed (Storyville 181)
(H) Mandolin Blues (TESTAMENT TCD-6004)
(I) Ramblin' On My Mind (Milestone 3002)
(J) I BluesKvarter Vol.1 (Jefferson SBACD 12653/4)
(K) Southside Chicago (Python 10)
(L) Down Home Harp (P-VINE PCD 5575)
(M) And This Is Maxwell Street (P-VINE PCD 5527/28)
(N) Blues Southside Chicago (Decca 4784)
(O) Johnny Young and his Chicago Blues Band (P-VINE PCD 2504/ARHOOLIE 325)
(P) Chicago Blues Today vol.3 (VANGUARD VMD 79218)
(Q) The Chicago String Band (P-VINE PCD 5580)
® The Everlasting Blues vs. Otis Spann (SPIVEY 1013)
(S) Fat Mandolin (Blue Horizon 63852)
(T) 19 track the film Chicago Blues (P-VINE PCD 5332)
(U) Lake Michigan Ain't No River (Rounder 2005)
(V) Johnny Young plays and sings the blues with his gut-bucket mandolin (Blues On Blues 10005)
(W) I Can't Keep My Foot From Jumping (BluesWay BLS 6075)
(X) Chicago Blues Hard Times (Indigo IGOCD 2095)
(Y) American Folk Blues Festival '72 (L+R LS 42.018)
(Z) Back To Chicago (DELTA DCD-1874)

The LPīs and CDīs I know for sure that Johnny plays mandolin I have added already to Niles Rock/Blues Mando Group . As Johnny also played guitar I canīt ad the ones to the group where he maybe is "only" playing guitar but maybe someone else knows these albums and can help here.

I will list a player every few days to keep this thing alive. So litte blues threads you know....
René

zaelic
Jun-19-2005, 4:55am
The Forum at Weenie Campbell was all over the topic of Blues mando discography a while ago:
http://weeniecampbell.com/mambo....c=282.0 (http://weeniecampbell.com/mambo/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=65&topic=282.0)

ira
Jun-19-2005, 3:08pm
great site. love the jukebox section, been listening to some great old blues.....
what exactly though is country blues. the music they are playing and discussing, just sounds like plain ole acoustic blues, pre chicago-electric era sounding stuff. is that all it is???

swampstomper
Jun-20-2005, 1:14pm
Is Bill Monroe not considered blues? Obviously not all of it, but clearly Rocky Road Blues, the various Blue Yodels (Brakeman's, She's Long She's Tall, Muleskinner), and Blue Grass Part 1 qualify in my book.

zaelic
Jun-20-2005, 6:36pm
Swampstomper: Monroe was greatly influenced by the Blues, or at least black popular music of the 1920s - there were more black styles than just the music that we now call "blues. But he ain't blues. He is the father of Bluegrass, and a graet mandolin stylist whose ears reached beyond his social/racial/musical circle, but listen to Frank Hutchinson or other "white blues" artists of the 1930s , and you will see he is a bridge between musical cultures.

Ira: it is tough to define "country blues" in any way that anybody would accept. Basically, old, southern, non-commercial, or at least naively commercial, pre-electric, oral tradition based, passed on via folk tradition instead of recordings (i.e., Robert Johnson seems to be the border point....) After WWII things changed... or didn't, depending on region, isolation, or proximity of music biz. Mandolins often feature in "country blues" because they feature in so much American Black popular music of the early acoustic recording era. They were loud, cheap, and available. They lost context in the commercial recording business after 1945.

ira
Jun-20-2005, 7:26pm
well, it may be tough to define it , but you sure did a fine job.
thanks zaelic

bluesmandolinman
Jul-06-2005, 2:54pm
Sellars
well if you start with the list of The Forum at Weenie Campbell as zaelic says you have to be buisy

you may want to ad Blues Mandolin player Andra Faye of Saffire to the list. This lady is the only female blues mandolin player i know. And she has the blues. She learned mandolin from Yank Rachell and Howard Armstrong. I like here playing a lot.

The albums I know where she plays mandolin are :
Ain't Gonna Hush
Cleaning House
Old, New, Borrowed, & Blue

cheers http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif