PDA

View Full Version : Blonde Collings MT2 players.

telepbrman
Jun-13-2005, 1:10am
Hey, if you have a one of those blonde MT2's, how are they? Fit and finish, tone, what strings do you use, and what style are you playing?

Lee
Jun-13-2005, 10:13am
Mine's not blond and it's one with a soft maple back. The tone is very cutting and quite loud with little effort. I have silk & steel strings and like them. I'd like to try monel next. J74's were too overbearing on it.
Collings detail to fit and finish is legendary and the consistance is awesome.
Where'd you see a blond one? You didn't like the blond MF at Gruhn's because of the dark binding. What's this one have?

Jim M.
Jun-13-2005, 10:18am
When I bought my MT2, I compared it to a blonde one. Although I really liked the blonde's looks, the sound of the sunburst one really captured me. The sunburst had the German maple back. I'm not going to opine on the difference between woods, but I thought the sunburst had a rounder, fuller tone than the blonde, which seemed a bit one-dimensional.

jmkatcher
Jun-13-2005, 10:42am
How do the birds-eye blondes compare in sound if anyone has played one?

telepbrman
Jun-13-2005, 11:44am
Lee---Acoustic Works has a blonde/natural MT-2 with white binding...it looks killer, dy.

Mandobar
Jun-13-2005, 12:02pm
acousticmusic.org has a blonde mt2 with a really nice neck (a welcome change to the thin pointy collings necks i have owned and played). the top is german spruce. what a honker.

elenbrandt-redux
Jun-23-2005, 12:26pm
I tried a couple of blonde MT2's before I bought the Adirondack top one (that I sold to Mandobar)....Maybe they just sounded stiff/tight to me, but I wasn't necessarily that impressed with the sound. But beautiful, yes, they really are...

timothy.c.hicks
Jun-23-2005, 3:19pm
I have one that I'm about to sell - an early one, #17, that is very well played in. It could be the first blonde mando they made. I LOVE it but am upgrading to a collings F Model. I doubt it will sound any better but my scroll lust will be quenched! If you are interested in hearing it go to the MP3 page and listen to my rendition of Big Sciota. I played it in a large jam last night and afterward a guy came up to me and said "that thing is loud as *%&!." It is exceptional. Anyone who is interested email me at tch146@psu.edu