PDA

View Full Version : IT BROKE!

mingusb1
Mar-08-2004, 11:29am
Yesterday morning the unthinkable happened. #I set my very nice czech A-style mando against a chair to answer a phone call and it slid off, rotated, smacked the floor, and broke.

Cracked all the way through right behind the nut.

I've got a few questions:

-How is this repaired (just glue?)?

-How long might it take an experienced luthier to repair?

-Is it likely it will NOT play the same (tone, action) as it did?

-Can these fixes be made "stable"?

-Should I start shopping for another mando?

If "all things for a reason", I am having a very difficult time understanding this one!

Z

Luthier
Mar-08-2004, 11:51am
If you could be a little more specific on the location and extent of the crack / split it would be helpful. #Was it just the neck? #The headstock?

Don

mingusb1
Mar-08-2004, 12:04pm
Sure,

The crack did not got all the way through the headstock. #Looks the face (side with the inlay) of the headstock prevented it from travelling all the way through. #

I looked into the crack (which is "v" shaped) from the back of the neck, and could see the end of the truss rod.

I must admit I was so shocked that I couldn't really inspect it very closely.

Z

Big Joe
Mar-08-2004, 12:15pm
Yes it can be repaired. No it should not hurt the sound or playability. Each luthier has a different time schedule depending upon how busy he is. Our shop would take about 30 days and it would cost about 300.00. You have to decide if the repair is worth the cost. If I can be of help, just let me know.

Mar-08-2004, 4:33pm
correct big joe. I had an Apituis if anybody remembers the episode when I had to sue fedex when they broke it. I ended up getting the mando repaired by Master repair man Sim Daley in Nashville. He made it to where it was nearly impossible to tell the headstock had ever been broke and the tone did not change. These types of breaks can be fixed. The hardest ones is if the neck wacks off at a 90 degree angle

Michael Lewis
Mar-09-2004, 2:11am
Keep that crack clean, don't feel it with your fingers, just LEAVE IT ALONE. You have only one chance to do the repair well, so don't do anything that might compromise the repair. Save any and all chips or splinters, let the repair person put them together. If all is clean it should go back together well and not make much difference in the function or appearance of the instrument.

Greenmando
Mar-09-2004, 2:21am
The crack did not got all the way through the headstock. #Looks the face (side with the inlay) of the headstock prevented it from travelling all the way through. #
The face side might have veneer along with the inlay. It's possible that the crack does go thru but hidden by the veneer. But is still repairable.

Luthier
Mar-09-2004, 5:01am
Where would you be shipping it from? #I will be happy to look at it / fix it for you as well. #There may also be a reputable Luthier in your area to save you the anxiety of shipping it away. #Do some leg work in your area. #I do not have a huge overhead to deal with so I am less expensive, I guarantee my work, send it back fixed and in a timely fashion and I would be happy to help you out. #

Don

mandoryan
Mar-09-2004, 5:26pm
What a guy this Luthier guy is... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif Seriously, that's a mighty kind gesture to make!

Luthier
Mar-09-2004, 6:30pm
Hey, I try. #

Don

mingusb1
Mar-09-2004, 6:54pm
Thanks everyone for the information.

I just dropped the mando off for repair this morning. #Figured to keep the business local and in case there were any problems down the road.

I only hope I can live with a "fixed" mando. #I was having so much fun breaking it in, but I guess I took it too far!

Maybe I'll post a pic of the fix.

Thanks again, everyone.

Z

Luthier
Mar-10-2004, 4:29am
I think what you did is best. #Be sure it is repaired to your satisfaction and the workmanship is guaranteed.

Don