PDA

View Full Version : Schertler DYN-M - the new one

Kevin Briggs
Apr-12-2017, 12:18pm
Hi, Everyone:

Hope you're doing great. :-)

I recently bought the newest incarnation of the Schertler DYN-M pickup. It is wonderful, of course, just like the previous one, and I think the cord is stronger. However, it will not work with my AcousticMax preamp. Like, there's no signal whatsoever. It plugs into a PA direct though, so the pickup works.

ANy idea what preamp I can use with the new Schertler DYN-M?

mandroid
Apr-12-2017, 12:29pm
This one needs Phantom power https://secure.schertler.com/en_US/shop/pickups/dyn-uni-p48
Then a Preamp with 48v Phantom power would do it (Mixer channels often send the power needed)

this one does not https://secure.schertler.com/en_US/shop/pickups/dyn-uni

Which one did you get? [I'd Guess the p48]

The latter is more like their early edition, passive, dynamic. (& larger)

Though my Roland AC 60 , for example, its Mic Channel does supply that 48v ,switched on/off..

;)

Ray(T)
Apr-14-2017, 10:19am
I acquired one of these a week or so ago but, at first sight, it seems to lack a bit of top end. Admittedly, I haven't had much chance to play around with it as I've been away but has anyone else found this? I suspect its down to using too much "goop" and the middle of the element contacting the soundboard.

To keep this post on topic, the spec says it needs a minimum of 22 volts so I suspect that it won't work with my old AER Compact 60. (A Baggs PADI will work with this but there ain't enough power to light the phantom LED!)

Kevin Briggs
Apr-15-2017, 9:14am
Whelp....

I figured something or other out. I started running the pickup through a small acoustic amp I have, and then running the amp into the PA. That works.

I don't have any problems with the high end. I suppose it's a it tamer than usual, or maybe a bit smoother. But, I don't view it as a problem. It's very subtle, and the tone sounds consistent and balanced across the strings. It's a strange pickup though. The previous incarnation could plug into anything and work great. I don't know what Shertler has to gain by making it harder to use. One theory I have is Schertler is trying to force you to buy its preap if you want to have one.

mandroid
Apr-15-2017, 11:24am
So, did you, in fact, get the P48 instead of the other version? You should have a label on the cardboard box it came in..
And the sales invoice, saying which one it is ...

Consider a Return and exchange it if that is the case..

Ray(T)
Apr-15-2017, 11:36am
You don't need a pre-amp, just an amp or desk with 22-48v phantom (or a phantom psu.) I suspect that turning up the top end on the pre-amp, in my case, would just elevate the noise. Too much goop seems to prevent the centre part of the pickup from touching the top of the instrument which I suspect ruins the top end. Overall, the response seems flat enough through the two amps I've tried.

Mine came in a zipped wallet and not a cardboard box!

mandroid
Apr-15-2017, 11:47am
Dealer discarded the shipping box?

Ray(T)
Apr-15-2017, 12:09pm
On mine, the model number is printed on the pickup.

schertler
Apr-18-2017, 7:00am
Hi everyone. Thanks for discussing about Schertler Gear.

My name is Drago and I work for the Schertler company.

The new DYN P48 series as already someone mentioned above is active. This was made to enable us to build a lighter magnet construction (to lower the resonance frequency and have a more linear response) and incorporate a active little class-a preamp that include matched active filters for each instrument. This contact mic (as the previous version) should be ideally plugged in a Microphone in (type input). Unbalancing it and go in a device as the previously mentioned preamp would not work. Even if it was a passive that was not recommended because unbalancing causes signal loss and can also make noise issues. The new version runs with phantom power (22V to 48V). For those who do not have the Phantom Power we have the DYN-UNI that is still passive as the older models.

Hope this helped you !
Best regards from Switzerland !