PDA

View Full Version : Orville Mandolin

billkilpatrick
Apr-12-2017, 10:08am
What happened to it? Did someone buy it?

http://archive.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Original/Gibson%20Mandolins/The-Orville-Mandolin/

Jim Garber
Apr-12-2017, 4:02pm
I think you should buy it, Bill. -- Better you than me... :)

billkilpatrick
Apr-12-2017, 4:16pm
I think you should buy it, Bill. -- Better you than me... :)

You mean ... no one has snapped it up ... yet?

Curious to know where it is at ...

Timbofood
Apr-12-2017, 4:26pm
It's not in my closet, I just looked!

MikeEdgerton
Apr-12-2017, 9:56pm
I saw the tree before it fell if that means anything. I was in that cemetery in Malone, NY a few years before the event visiting Orville's grave with Dave Nichols of Custom Pearl Inlay.

Ivan Kelsall
Apr-13-2017, 1:48am
IMHO - That's Gibson at it's most ghastly !. Made to look at more than be played maybe ?,
Ivan

billkilpatrick
Apr-13-2017, 3:03am
Zee plot zickens! ... Where is it?

MikeZito
Apr-13-2017, 7:03am
I remember reading, back in the late 90's, that the 'Orville' electric guitars (most especially the Les Paul' models) were supposed to be very good and very inexpensive (around the same price as an 'Epiphone') - but I never saw one in the U.S. (I think they were mainly purchased via the internet from the far east.) Given the limited reputation that I heard about the 'Orville' brand, I would guess that it was a decent mandolin, but I think that I personally would go snow blind from all of that inlay!

MikeEdgerton
Apr-13-2017, 7:41am
No connection between this mandolin and that brand. This was/is a commemorative instrument. We have a few past discussions about this mandolin. Here (https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?55032-quot-Gibson-Original-quot-The-Orville-Mandolin) is one with a link to another in it.

MikeZito
Apr-13-2017, 9:10am
Oops - I guess I was WAY off on this one (open mouth, insert foot) . . . but I have to be forgiven because 2009 was back in the middle of the time period when I had 'retired' from music - so I was out of the loop. Either way, it is still WAY to ornate for my liking.

By the way - did the mid-90's 'Orville' brand ever make mandolins?

MikeEdgerton
Apr-13-2017, 9:25am
I've never seen anything other than electric guitars. I don't know if they made acoustic guitars or not. I've never seen a mandolin but it certainly could have been possible I guess.

JEStanek
Apr-13-2017, 9:41am
Yes. But is over the top as the Orville Mandolin is, nothing compares to the 1 Millionth Guitar from Martin from 2004. Interestingly, just last December they had a special 2 Millionth guitar. Production is going well for Martin!

Jamie

George R. Lane
Apr-13-2017, 10:01am
Lipstick on a pig??

JEStanek
Apr-13-2017, 10:21am
Actually, I don't think that's the case at all, George. From what I remember of the discussions, that Orville mandolin played well. Neither of these are like the Bruce Wie mandolins/ guitars.

The looks may not be your cuppa tea but, they are still Martins/Gibsons.

Jamie

billkilpatrick
Apr-13-2017, 10:33am
Does Gibson still have it? The information page says "See your authorized Gibson Mandolin Dealer to inquire about price and availability."

Sound Sample - 1 of 2 found on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GopR60xHiw

MikeZito
Apr-13-2017, 10:41am
Unlike Timbofood - maybe after the IBMA show, Dave Harvey forgot about the mandolin, and it's still in his closet . . . .

George R. Lane
Apr-13-2017, 10:52am
Jamie,
No disrespect to Gibson.
You are right, not my cup of tea.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-13-2017, 11:51am
I'm doing this blind as I can't see Youtube from here. This should be a video of Dave Harvey playing the mandolin in question. I believe at one time this was listed on the musiciansfriend.com website but I might be mistaken.

1GopR60xHiw

billkilpatrick
Apr-13-2017, 11:59am
Zero result at musiciansfriend.com ...

I feel a board game coming on - bit like "Cluedo" ... "Who's got the Orville?

MikeEdgerton
Apr-13-2017, 1:07pm
I had already check musiciansfriend. I do believe they had it listed when it was first for sale. That doesn't mean they had it or sold it though.

brunello97
Apr-13-2017, 1:28pm
Jamie,
No disrespect to Gibson.
You are right, not my cup of tea.

We're all being too polite: it is replete with poorly designed filigree. Worse than a bad Jack Handy / Hallmark greeting card.

The Gibson F mandolin already is six-quarts-in-a-gallon jug from a design perspective. It just holds itself together as a combination of disparate asymmetrical parts. A nice example for my design students.

Adding more bling to it is a losing proposition right from the start.

Mick

billkilpatrick
Apr-13-2017, 1:39pm
... Adding more bling to it is a losing proposition right from the start. Mick

Yes ... in terms of rococo-esque folk music, the F5 is the perfect Bluegrass instrument.

JEStanek
Apr-14-2017, 10:05am
I was only speaking in terms of the instrument's voice compared to less appointed other Gibson models. The F5 shape has it's design aesthetic critics. These can be enhanced or detracted via colors and inlays. Personally, I like some alternative colors but and not attracted to a lot of abalone on the body or fingerboard.

Jamie

Timbofood
Apr-17-2017, 9:35am
It's an exercise in over indulgence. Excess is what this is all about, it's a billboard not so much an instrument. I'm not buying it so I don't much give a hoot.