PDA

View Full Version : Kimble two-point style J

JimRichter
Jun-12-2005, 11:35am
Well, I posted a little bit of this mandolin awhile back when someone started a thread about two point mandolins. #I figured I'd post some new pictures, mainly to show off the Waverly silver tuners I recently put on it. #

Yes, StewMac does make Waverly A-mandolin tuners. #Worm gear above tuner post gear. #Silver plate, engraved, with very nice real ebony black buttons. #I've been a big fan of Waverly tuners and haven't had any since I put some on my Sam Bush F5 a few years back. #I've only seen one other set of A-tuners (and that's on a Phoenix that Gruhn has for sale) so I figured I'd post some photos for anyone else that is interested.

As far as the mandolin, it is a Will Kimble style J and this was Wheel's personal mando for awhile. ##62 finished 8/04. Swiss spruce top, maple (I think sugar back am probably wrong) b&s., radiused board, tone bar braced, Axiom tailpiece. #The armrest I recently put on it after Teri LaMarco of Music Tree gave it to me for some graphics work I did for her. #Didn't think I'd like an armrest, but it's very comfortable, looks nice, and is high quality (made by Cumberland Acoustics). #It's a great mandolin that can hold it's own among most Fs. #

Jim

JimRichter
Jun-12-2005, 11:36am
Ferrules/posts

JimRichter
Jun-12-2005, 11:37am
tuner backs

JimRichter
Jun-12-2005, 11:43am
front

JimRichter
Jun-12-2005, 11:44am
back

JimRichter
Jun-12-2005, 11:45am
another

JimRichter
Jun-12-2005, 11:46am
another

Scotti Adams
Jun-12-2005, 11:46am
..thats just too dayam sweet Jim....cant wait to play it....Im thinking about a set of Waverly's for my Rose....where did you get the buttons?...does Waverly offer those?

JimRichter
Jun-12-2005, 11:48am
last one

JimRichter
Jun-12-2005, 11:53am
..thats just too dayam sweet Jim....cant wait to play it....Im thinking about a set of Waverly's for my Rose....where did you get the buttons?...does Waverly offer those?
Scotti: StewMac offers the ebony buttons as a standard option--it's pearl (at $50 more), real ebony, or ivoroid. I thought pearl was a bit much on this mandolin (as well as the price, since I already put down a chunck of change on these). I've not been a fan of black buttons, but these really are different cause they appear to be unfinished/undyed ebony, so there is a lot of streaking of browns and that in it. Very understated. The black buttons I had on my Henderson were real glossy and pitch black--didn't care for them at all.

I figured that since this mando is a keeper--unless somehow I could get the cash to have Wheel make me an F--it deserved a fine set of tuners. Ferrules were a hair undersized for the schallers that had been in there, but not much.

I'm anxious to play that Rose that is a fine looking mando. It's amazing to have watched Darby's work improve as it has in the couple years I've been watching his instruments on the board.

Jim

Scotti Adams
Jun-12-2005, 12:03pm
..wow..cool..I like the look of the black buttons....but Im also thinking about Ivory ones too....I havent made our reservations yet for that weekend in July..I was informed last night that we may have a gig to play..I will know more tomorrow....hopefully my plans for that weekend will fly and we can hook up....Yea..Darbs work is really good....its such a huge sounding mando..I couldnt be more happy....so did you keep the Schaller furrels in the peghead? or was you able to use the Waverly ones?

JimRichter
Jun-12-2005, 1:02pm
Used the Waverly's. Like I said they were just a hair small and wrapped the Waverly ferrules with one thin layer of slicone plumbing tape. That was enough to keep them snug. The Waverly ferrules--though they look like the old stamped Waverly ferrules--are closer to Schallers in their ridges and required tuner hole diameter.

As far as that weekend, I almost thought you might be playing down at BeanBlossom that weekend sicne those are the dates for the Vince Combs fest. I spent my day out at BeanBlossom yesterday and noticed the dates for that fest.

By the way, Alan Perdue is one heckuva mandolin player. His mandola work on John and Mary was great. I'm pretty sure the mandola was a Kimble (his F might have been too--I know Will said Alan had been playing a 2 point Kimble like mine and had been trying to convince him to move up to an F. Unfortunately I had to take my 6 year old home and didn't get a chance to talk to Perdue).

JIm

evanreilly
Jun-12-2005, 1:11pm
What is that tailpiece??

JimRichter
Jun-12-2005, 1:35pm
That is the Axiom tailpiece by Bill James. Hinged cover held in place by the friction between a couple of tabs and rubber gaskets which also act as sound damplers for the strings.

Jim

salleyann
Jun-14-2005, 2:53pm
JIM RICHTER,
JUNE 4TH AT FOGGY HOLLOW, PERDUE WAS PLAYING A BRAND NEW
DMM, AND YOU'RE RIGHT, HE CAN SURE MAKE ONE SING.