PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Moore Plays a Monteleone 2-Point

Jim Garber
Apr-10-2017, 7:49pm
I never saw this clip from Austin City Limits 1981. A friend sent me the link and said that it was probably the first 2 point that John made and he built it for Tiny. Great playing as usual from this all-star band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kViybokCZAE

Looks like it is in this photo, too.

brunello97
Apr-10-2017, 9:06pm
Great clip, Jim, thanks to you and your pal. Tiny's Montelemando sounds great.

That's the always smooth and tasteful Johnny Gimble on the left. My favorite swing fiddle player.

Mick

MontanaMatt
Apr-10-2017, 9:22pm
I'd never seen Jethro Burn play a F before, I thought he only played two points.

Jim Roberts
Apr-10-2017, 9:27pm
Wow! Eldon Shamblin on rhythm guitar? What a lineup!

Jim Garber
Apr-11-2017, 9:37am
I'd never seen Jethro Burn play a F before, I thought he only played two points.

I think that may be his Washburn which he was an endorser. When he taught at Augusta in 1983 he played a Washburn F.

pglasse
Apr-11-2017, 10:09am
I assume, but do not know for sure, that the mandolin Tiny played on the show was a loaner from David Grisman (who was also on that same ACL taping -- and is known to love a great acoustic mandolin).

Once, when I was visiting Tiny at his music store in Sacramento, he played me the advance tapes to the Back To Back LP. When we got to an acoustic cut I asked Tiny what mandolin he was playing on that track. He pointed to a cheepo mandolin he had for sale, hanging on the wall with a price tag dangling from it.

To the best of my knowledge Tiny never owned a Monteleone instrument.

mandroid
Apr-11-2017, 12:42pm
Johnny Gimble's A gets no fan kudos? He played well.. too..

:whistling:

paul dirac
Apr-13-2017, 11:24am
Thanks, Paul! Always figured that was Tiny's, and that he was with you in that rare club of Monte A players. Maybe Dawg can verify... Oh, and, Big Fan!

Mando Mafia
Mar-18-2024, 6:16pm
Just found this thread. Actually this ‘Tiny Moore’ Monteleone 2 point was not the first one he made. This one is from 1981. John made one in 1976, with a unique headstock but identical body, which you can see here:
https://monteleonemandolin.com/registry/f/6-baby-grand-mandolin
(That page says 1977, but that isn’t accurate)

Anybody know the serial number of the Tiny Moore 2 point Monte?

Pete
PS With the reconfiguration of the forum, I can no longer see how to post photos, videos or links. But maybe that’s because I’m using an iPad.

theinone
Mar-18-2024, 6:48pm
When Jethro was in Duluth he was playing a Gibson F5, mentioned that they were too expensive at the workshop he did for my students...(referencing the " I did not know he played an F") also, I got to see Tiny across the bay in Superior, Wisconsin when he was with Merle Haggard.. best concert that summer seeing the Hag and Tiny play twin fiddle together!

Altmandw
Mar-19-2024, 11:59am

There are photos of Jethro playing a Gibson F4, and I believe it was before he had The Red.

Bill McCall
Mar-19-2024, 1:03pm

IIRC, Jethro played a Gibson F5 on the Adler House YouTube video, among other videos.