PDA

View Full Version : " It's Mighty Dark To Travel "

Kbone
Jun-11-2005, 4:37pm
The way i learned it ( according to 15 gem book )you stay on the one chord with the verse, and only go to the four chord in the chorus -but every time I play it at jams they want to go on to the four chord singing the verse. Who's right ?

Flowerpot
Jun-11-2005, 5:58pm
On Bill Monroe's "Bluegrass '87" they go to the 4 chord in the verses. But there might be an earlier recording that does it differently. BTW, on that cut, Jesse McReynolds sings lead and he and Bill play a twin mandolin break.

archie
Jun-11-2005, 9:26pm
Great tune!In 1947 Bill did it in G, and the verses Lester sang had no IV chord. If it wasn't for Howard Watts' "A" note toward end of the verse, you wouldn't have much of a V chord to negotiate either.
-archie

Kbone
Jun-12-2005, 9:05am
So what's the consensus in most of your experience with the IV chord, keep it or throw it out. I'm tying to put a set together for future band possibilities.thanks

fredfrank
Jun-12-2005, 9:27am
Keep it.

Fred's Mobile Homes
Jun-12-2005, 11:38am
If you are looking for that old-time mountain bluegrass sound, I would leave it out. That's the way Bill originally recorded it. Makes the song a little different than your generic jam tune.

fredfrank
Jun-12-2005, 1:08pm
Use it on every other verse, and not on the third chorus.