PDA

View Full Version : Gibson EM-150 ?

MikeZito
Apr-02-2017, 7:28pm
To be brief - yesterday I played 1953 EM-150. To be honest, I was initially unimpressed, but I am just wondering if it has possibilities.

Here are the bullet points:

1. The mandolin had no real 'snap' or 'bark' to it, but I am 99% sure it is because it seems like it hasn't had a string change since 1954.

2. The volume on this mandolin seems also to be somewhat non-existent. Again, I am 99% sure it is because it hasn't had a string change since 1954 . . . but I am also wondering if the SERIOUS lack of volume (and tone) is typical of this model because of the top-mounted pickup.

3. This mandolin also has very, VERY low action. (Yes, I know that can have an effect on volume as well). I like low action as much as the next guy, but this seems to be ridiculously low. Normally I wouldn't have too much of a problem with this, but it looks like the bridge has already be raised higher than I usually see, and to get the action back to a normal level it looks like it would have to be raised quite a bit - which means that the thumb wheels will be lifted quite a bit, and I am afraid that it would have a substantial effect on the tone . . . which I can't really hear because the strings don't seem to have been changed since 1954 . . . .

In general, I guess I am looking for some feedback on these models as it seems like I could get a decent deal on it - possibly for under $700 . . . and I'm just wondering if the general view on these things are positive or negative.

I have heard that the pickup on the mandolin sounds good . . . but I didn't get a change to plug it in . . . .

Thanks!

allenhopkins
Apr-02-2017, 7:41pm
I wouldn't expect too much from the EM-150 as an acoustic instrument. It has a gigundous pickup attached to the top, plus the tone and volume controls. If the strings are 63 years old, and the action is super-low, you have two more sound-dampening characteristics.

Is the action so low that you get string buzzes? If not, it may have had the neck relief, nut and bridge set up for super-low action, since it was intended to play amplified only, and the acoustic sound was not a consideration. With a magnetic pickup, closeness of the strings to the pickup may be a "plus" factor, and the non-amplified response may be largely irrelevant.

Probably you can't post pics, but if you could, it'd help. Does it have the "soapbar" pickup or the P-90 with adjustable pole-pieces? The price is a steal -- the other dealer listings I've seen have been $1.2K-$1.5K -- so if you're interested in it primarily as a plugged-in instrument, might be worth the money.

MikeZito
Apr-02-2017, 8:33pm
The mandolin is on the Guitar Center website - just look under used gear, or go to the site for the Manchester CT store. The pictures aren't too good, but you can get an idea of what is there.

The pickup looked like a P-90. There was no buzz on the frets, but the action was VERY low - far lower than I personally would play comfortably.

I was in the store on a Saturday afternoon - and as you could easily guess, there were 30 instruments being loudly played all around me at that point, so I didn't really have the time or patience to give the mandolin a 'serious' look-over . . . however, I do believe that the neck was good and straight, but I didn't double check the top to see if it was possibly a bit sunken - which could explain the low action and the high-ish bridge.

Perhaps I will take the trek up there again in the next few days to give it a second peek . . . unless someone from the forum buys it out from under my feet!

mrmando
Apr-02-2017, 8:37pm
The EM150 is meant to be played plugged in. By no means should you choose one if you plan to play acoustically.

I doubt much attention was given to top graduations on EM150s, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they have a thicker top plate than an acoustic Gibson. On earlier EM150s there's not only a hole cut in the top for the pickup, but three screws going through the top to hold three internal posts that are part of the pickup assembly.

mrmando
Apr-02-2017, 9:00pm
Here's the link:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/Vintage-1953-EM-150-Mandolin.gc

Jim Garber
Apr-08-2017, 10:14pm
The earliest EM-150's did have a "gigundous" pickup. It was as miniature Charlie Christian pickup and had a large magnet under the top. I have one from the 1930s and they do sound pretty good electrically but not so much acoustically as everyone noted. The P-90 was probably an improvement — I have an EM-200 and that same or similar pickup does sound nice. That mandolin is a solid-body tho like a mini-Les Paul.

Hey, it looks like it was sold anyway...

UsuallyPickin
Apr-08-2017, 10:43pm
The only good thing I can say about the EM-150 is that Johnny Gimble played one ....... R/