PDA

View Full Version : XM or Sirius?

Walter
Jun-11-2005, 9:28am
I need to decide between XM radio and Sirius. #The most important consideration will be who has the best Bluegrass programing.

Any input or suggestions? #Any other important things to consider when deciding between the two??

Thanks.

Andrew Reckhart
Jun-11-2005, 12:54pm
I would go with XM. Their bluegrass and "similar style" stations are very good. More importantly XM is presently standard equipment in most GM cars. Toyota and a few of the other major auto manufacturers are jumping on board in the very near future. I would guess that XM has a little better chance of being around for the long-haul, and who wants to invest in new equipment.

cbogle
Jun-11-2005, 1:50pm
Andrew has excellent points regarding the XM's widespread equipment availability, certainly worthy of consideration.
I have XM, and LOVE the service overall, but I am not enamored with the Bluegrass programming, as I lean more towards the traditional side. In fact, I have all but stopped listening to "Bluegrass Junction", due to the programming. If you like HEAVY doses of Newgrass Revival, Austin Lounge Lizards, Tennessee Mafia Jugband, Railroad Earth, Hayseed Dixie (AC/DC songs performed Bluegrass-style), Yonder Mountain String Band, and David Bromberg(!), then you will thoroughly enjoy the XM Bluegrass programming. The quoted theme there is "no boundaries", and I'm sure that the variety in programming is appealing to many listeners.

Just a humble opinion, and I do highly recommend XM's service.

Thankfully, with over 150 stations to chose from, XM will have something I like on at any given time somewhere....freedom of choice, 'aint it great?

Scott Cressey
Jun-12-2005, 4:24am
I have Sirus, so I can't comment on XM. The Bluegrass channel on Sirus is very good. I also enjoy the "Folktown" channel.

Regards, Scotty

kvk
Jun-12-2005, 6:31am
I have XM and listen 14 BG most of the time. I have almost the opposite opinion of cbolge. Although I like traditional BG a lot, I like new stuff too. I don't think they play all that much of it. They do play some cross-over stuff, accoustic country-ish stuff that would not be considered true BG (drums), but I think that's good, it breaks it up.

One thing great about XM BG is they play a lot of live shows. THey played Merlefest all weekend and play sets from previous now and then.

The XM folk station, I find painfully lame; wimp music.

I fish there were a stations that was a blend of Bluegrass Junction and MusicLab. Something that played mostly acoustic jam music.

-Ken

batman
Jun-12-2005, 8:06am
I have both. XM in the truck and Sirus at home. I like the Sirus better. more traditional. Don

jim simpson
Jun-12-2005, 6:16pm
My tastes run more toward traditional and unlike cbogle, I find XM plays a lot of the trad stuff. I hear lots of Red Allen, Osbornes, Big Mon, etc. I do like the other stations too so if something comes on and I don't like it, I just surf. My wife wanted Sirius, so I will get to hear what their bluegrass station's programming is like. I recently purchased a Honda Element and was pleased to find that it had XM already in it and activated. It's part of the CD, radio so it looks so much cleaner than my first XM Roady 2.

GVD
Jun-13-2005, 2:08pm
I've tried both and Sirius is head and shoulders above XM.

GVD

kvk
Jun-13-2005, 2:35pm
I've tried both and Sirius is head and shoulders above XM.

GVD
Why? what do you like better? Just BG? Everything?

Bob1300
Jun-13-2005, 6:17pm
I have Sirius and have listened to XM - prefer Sirius also. The DJ's are bluegrass musicians and are well-connected with all the current players. Fairly good variety, with emphasis on McCoury, Morris, Rice. #Downside: Playlist seems short, as you may hear the same songs repeated every day. Worst offender: 'Ballad of Bonnie & Clyde' by Flatt & Scruggs. #Yuck.

GVD
Jun-14-2005, 9:32am
kvk Posted

Why? what do you like better? #Just BG? #Everything?

I like the BG better for basically the same reasons Bob1300 listed. I really like listening to Chris Jones's program and look forward to seeing his band at Winfield this year. To me the Sirius BG programming seems more like BG for BG musicians. I also really like the the Roadhouse and Outlaw country channels. Just real in your face country music instead of the formulaic pap that Nasvhille pushes these days.

GVD

Walter
Jun-17-2005, 10:28pm
I had XM installed earlier this week. It's great!

Today I listened to the live broadcast from the Grass Valley Festival in CA. (on the Bluegrass channel)
-awesome!

Staramouche
Jun-18-2005, 3:33am
My roommate has XM, I have Sirius. We live way up high in the Rockies and my only signal problems are in tunnels, he has more signal issues. He's perty envious of my system, I'm not impressed by his. This probably is a Coke/Pepsi quandry, but you can have my Sirius when you pry it from my cold, dead...well, you get the point.

The CEO of Sirius claims to be a bluegrass fan, but with the old time radio dramas, news channels, SPORTS, and comedy channels, you might as well buy a BUTLOAD of bluegrass CDs than get satellite just for the bluegrass.....neither will be very satisfying for those who care...

Just my 2 cents...Where I live they BOTH beat FM!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Joe

futrconslr
Jun-20-2005, 11:52pm
Sirius is Way ahead of the curve on bluegrass programming. They have "djs" that are actual musicians, they play live shows from the station inn and they actually have a physical presence on music row (is that really a selling point though?) LOL.
Its a really good blend of traditional and new stuff. Love my Sirius

Flatpick
Jul-09-2005, 6:05pm
I've had XM in my truck for 2 weeks and all I listen to is the Bluegrass channel 14. If they took away all the rest of the channels I would never know it.

I'm not going to say something stupid like "Bluegrass Rules", but I do prefer it to all other music styles, especially Gospel Bluegrass.

Flatpick http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

mando_d
Jul-14-2005, 7:39pm
Sirius seems to play more traditonal bluegrass. They play alot of the standards. Plus, you get to listen to Live at the Station Inn at 9PM on Wednesday nights.

Dave Caulkins
Jul-18-2005, 10:41pm
My two cents,

I have XM and have little contact with Sirius, as I know few people (save y'all) with satelite radio. I have problems with dropouts in signal... I think they want me to buy an antenna upgrade or something (I don't trust corporations but I like good radio). The XM bluegrass station is way too often too close to XM 50 or whatever, the jamband/prog rock station. I like Newgrass Revival, and some Leftover Salmon - but that's not why I listen to bluegrass.

However...

XM 12, the Cross Country station is damn good. I tend towards Alt. and roots country myself, though I love bluegrass and the purity of it. Hank's Place is also pretty good traditional country. I'm disappointed that there isn't more of an appreciation of real country, especially when it has so many joint branches. I realize that among mandolin players I'm strange because I'd rather be Hank Williams Sr. than Bill Monroe. Actually, I'm pretty happy just being me... but I digress... the weather here is way too hot...

Rambling Again,

Dave

Coy Wylie
Jul-18-2005, 11:01pm
My vote is for Sirius. As others have said, it is great having actual BG muscians like Chris Jones and Ned Luberecki as DJ's. Their live shows and coverage of major festivals and events is great too.

kyblue
Jul-19-2005, 7:21am
I got Sirius this week. It's great. I did the 3 day trial for XM and Sirius, Sirius won hands down on the bluegrass channel. And, the sports programming is no contest as well.

GVD
Jul-19-2005, 8:06am
Leshii Posted

I'm disappointed that there isn't more of an appreciation of real country, especially when it has so many joint branches. I realize that among mandolin players I'm strange because I'd rather be Hank Williams Sr. than Bill Monroe.

Some of us still appreciate real country it's unfortunate that you can't hardly find it on commercial radio anymore. As far as Hank vs. Monroe you're in pretty darn good company either way you go.

GVD

futrconslr
Jul-19-2005, 9:11am
WSM is on Sirius for those that like Real Country

Mando Aggie
Jul-22-2005, 2:52pm
Andrew has excellent points regarding the XM's widespread equipment availability, certainly worthy of consideration.
I have XM, and LOVE the service overall, but I am not enamored with the Bluegrass programming, as I lean more towards the traditional side. In fact, I have all but stopped listening to #"Bluegrass Junction", due to the programming. If you like HEAVY doses of Newgrass Revival, Austin Lounge Lizards, Tennessee Mafia Jugband, Railroad Earth, Hayseed Dixie (AC/DC songs performed Bluegrass-style), Yonder Mountain String Band, and David Bromberg(!), then you will thoroughly enjoy the XM Bluegrass programming. The quoted theme there is "no boundaries", and #I'm sure that the variety in programming is appealing to many listeners.

Just a humble opinion, and I do highly recommend XM's service.

Thankfully, with over 150 stations to chose from, XM will have something I like on at any given time somewhere....freedom of choice, 'aint it great?
Not trying to harrass you but I'm confused. If you have XM and I'm presume you're mostly a bluegrass fan, and you don't listen to BGJ then do you listen to XM at all?

I'm pretty new to BG and BGJ is mostly all I listen to. So having admitted my ignorance are you unhappy with the lack of traditional mountain music? I hear Bill Monroe, Flatt, Scruggs all the time. I also hear lots of similar music that since I'm new I don't recognize the names. I even hear a fair amount of gospel, however I must admit I wish it was more. So what's missing? What station is "pure" and what is "pure" anyway?

Patrick
"the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask..."

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Mando Aggie
Jul-22-2005, 2:57pm
My two cents,

I have XM and have little contact with Sirius, as I know few people (save y'all) with satelite radio. I have problems with dropouts in signal... I think they want me to buy an antenna upgrade or something (I don't trust corporations but I like good radio). The XM bluegrass station is way too often too close to XM 50 or whatever, the jamband/prog rock station. I like Newgrass Revival, and some Leftover Salmon - but that's not why I listen to bluegrass.

However...

XM 12, the Cross Country station is damn good. I tend towards Alt. and roots country myself, though I love bluegrass and the purity of it. Hank's Place is also pretty good traditional country. I'm disappointed that there isn't more of an appreciation of real country, especially when it has so many joint branches. I realize that among mandolin players I'm strange because I'd rather be Hank Williams Sr. than Bill Monroe. Actually, I'm pretty happy just being me... but I digress... the weather here is way too hot...

Rambling Again,

Dave
Dave, as a reference I have absolutely no drop out of signal. During my first year with XM I had bad problems and just thought it was the nature of it, then I got curious and replaced the feedline to the antenna and presto, cross country and no prob's. (very infrequent drops under long tunnels). Yes, I have an external antenna and I highly recommend that.

Cheers,
Patrick

cbogle
Jul-23-2005, 12:46pm
"Not trying to harrass you but I'm confused. If you have XM and I'm presume you're mostly a bluegrass fan, and you don't listen to BGJ then do you listen to XM at all?"

I am a Bluegrass musician and fan, but enjoy several other types of music as well. I listen to XM quite frequently, and always take it with me on the road.

"I'm pretty new to BG and BGJ is mostly all I listen to. So having admitted my ignorance are you unhappy with the lack of traditional mountain music? I hear Bill Monroe, Flatt, Scruggs all the time. I also hear lots of similar music that since I'm new I don't recognize the names. I even hear a fair amount of gospel, however I must admit I wish it was more. So what's missing? What station is "pure" and what is "pure" anyway?"

The traditional mountain music is there, as is Monroe, Flatt & Scruggs, etc., and I'm glad it's there. I don't think that anything is "missing"; my opinions regarding the programming are stated in my original post. I don't feel qualified to address the issue of purity, and I'm quite certain that I didn't use the word "pure" in my original post.

Patrick--you should check out the Traditional Jazz program called "The French Quarter" on Friday evenings (9pm EST-XM70); you'll hear where a lot of us Bluegrass musicians got our "licks". http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Steve D.

DryBones
Jul-26-2005, 9:48pm
I have Sirus, so I can't comment on XM. The Bluegrass channel on Sirus is very good. I also enjoy the "Folktown" channel.

# # # # # # # # #Regards, Scotty
I too have Sirius and love the bluegrass channel...mostly tradiional with a few newgrass in there to keep ya honest..LOL I also love their "outlaw country" channel!

DB

FOXFIRE
Jul-31-2005, 12:31pm
I have XM and listen to the so called Bluegrass Channel, Track 14, everyday. #Yes XM does play Bluegrass on this station, along with many other styles of music that should be played on XM's other channels. #If I wanted to listen to a variety of music styles I would be listening to the Folk, Country, or Rock stations etc. #But when I listen to the Bluegrass Channel I only want to hear Bluegrass. #Unfortunately the variety of styles of music on the so called XM Bluegrass Channel are often so far from Bluegrass that it's almost a put down. # Is any Rock, Country, Jazz, or Folk song with at least one acoustic instrument, Bluegrass? #XM is trying to commercialize the music with other music that just doesn't fall into this category.
Example: How does Neil Young fit into a Bluegrass Station?
I have loved Neil Youngs music (a highly under rated, awesome musician), for many years, and have seen him in concert. #But drums, fiddle, jews harp, electric guitar, pedal steel, and whatever else with Neil Youngs Voice AIN'T GRASS by any stretch. Play his music on the Classical Channel or whatever. #"No Boundaries" #Oh Yeah, right!
XM, if you categorize music at all, you should have higher standards. #Yes, play all styles and artists on their respective Channels, but don't tell the public they're listening to Bluegrass when the Kick drum is mixed louder than the lead vocal.

kudzugypsy
Jul-31-2005, 4:10pm
i agree fox, i was actually listening to an internet "bluegrass" show and they played the Who's "Squeezebox" - i guess since it had a banjo in it, it was bluegrass.

cbogle
Jul-31-2005, 5:54pm
FOXFIRE--
Great post, and it is indeed unfortunate that "Track 14" is not up to the standards of many of the other XM stations. If I were listening only to XM's Bluegrass programming, I would have cancelled 2 years ago!

Steve D. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

Flatpick
Aug-01-2005, 5:39am
I #have XM also and agree that Bluegrass should it's own station, but what you are hearing is Newgrass mixed with Bluegrass. Some is not bad, but some is not worth the price of addmission. IMO........ http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #Flatpick

KevinM
Aug-17-2005, 4:54pm
Sooooo the bottom line is Sirius for straight up bluegrass, no funny stuff? Plus you get Howard Stern and Fa-fa-flo-hi starting in January.

Signed, Captain Jenks and Beetlejuice

RobbieOhio
Aug-27-2005, 3:29pm
A perk for AOL users -- if you can call having AOL a perk http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif -- is they have been broadcasting XM Radio channels on their AOL Radio. Bluegrass Junction is one of the channels, obviously.

So if you listen to XM only on your computer and you have AOL, you're paying for the same service twice.

Just a heads up, back to your originally scheduled program.

Robbie

John Bertotti
Aug-27-2005, 4:31pm
I recently asked the same question on the fender forum. It came down to either will take care of my wife's and my music needs. I was then commanded by the commandant that it sure as heck better have hockey. Only one does so there you have it. It seems it is almost six of one half dozen of another. Personal preferences and all you should do the trail on both then decide. Good Luck John:blues:

futrconslr
Sep-01-2005, 9:14pm
Guess who is a sponsor of IBMA? <hint> arf arf! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

kipster1122
Sep-04-2005, 2:39pm
I too have Sirius (can't comment on XM) and I love the Bluegrass channel... Listen to it all the time. It's great too because I also have Dish network in the house (which has the Sirius music channels), so I never have to move my portable from the car... I actually "found" bluegrass music on Sirius and decided that I just HAD to get a mandolin and learn to play!

f5loar
Oct-04-2005, 1:27am
It's pretty much a no brainer here. Sirus has the 24 hour nonstop Elvis channel. Sure you have to listen to the "movie" years stuff but hey, it's still Elvis!
thank you very much!

jim simpson
Oct-05-2005, 7:20am
I have XM & I want to know, where is the POLKA channel?!?!?!

Big Joe
Oct-05-2005, 2:15pm
My favorite channel on Sirius is the Kids channel. My grandkids can't wait to get in Papa's truck so they can listen to "coolll" music. Besides, the Bluegrass is great. Lot's of live performances as well as the normal 'radio' stuff.

cbogle
Dec-08-2005, 10:49pm
So, has anyone besides myself noticed that XM "Bluegrass Junction" has exponentially better programming since the departure of the previous program director in Mid-October?

Night and Day http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

DryBones
Dec-08-2005, 11:20pm
So, has anyone besides myself noticed that XM "Bluegrass Junction" has exponentially better programming since the departure of the previous program director in Mid-October?

Night and Day http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif
yes, DirecTV is now running the XM channels and I listen to Bluegrass Junction all the time since the change. I like it alot and now I listen to Sirius in the van and XM in the house. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

AppBrookie
Dec-09-2005, 12:40am
I have XM at work and Sirius(Dish Network) at home...hands down Sirius Bluegrass blows XM out of the water. Is some that stuff on XM even bluegrass? Plus..added bonus on Sirius, you can get WSM and listen to the Grand Ole Opry!!

Nolan
Dec-13-2005, 10:33am
I just got Sirius in my truck a week ago and it's been great. #
I can't comment on XM but Sirius is awesome and I haven't pulled a CD out to listen too since I got it. #There were a lot of bands I'd read about in Bluegrass Unlimited but had never heard until I got Sirius. #Bands like Special concensus, Mark Newton, Wildfire, Larry Rice, Continental Divide... stuff like.

yeldarb
Dec-13-2005, 12:41pm
I don't have Serius or XM. About a half year ago I was thinking about it and I went to their web sites. As I recall you can listen to each for 5 days free of charge. Look for details at the sites. That should help the decision along!

maynard g. krebs
Dec-13-2005, 3:31pm
i have xm in my home and car and sirrius at work.

overall xm is a far better ptoduct, the amount of live shows and festival broadcsating is mind boggling. sirrius doesn't even com close, we have major dropout problems with sirrius in the office.

plus on xm you get felton p. of kpig fame, thats cool. i find some of the sirrius djs to be really obnoxoius, where the xm guys sound like dj's did in the 70's (anyone remember the stoneman, wplr?)

the one thing that xm lacks is a good jamband channel, for that siurrius is awesome (assuming you like the dead and warren haynes).

i've almost gave up on one of the best coommunity sations in the nation (krcl, salt lake city) when i got xm.

as a beginning player its awesome to jam along with live stuff like the merlefest!

for me its no brainer to reccomend xm, surrius just ain't as good

DryBones
Dec-14-2005, 12:04am
Maynard,
one of the things I like about The Sirius DJ's is that they are also bluegrass musicians and throw in little tidbits that an ordinary DJ may not. Chris Jones on the drive home always makes my day. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

maynard g. krebs
Dec-14-2005, 11:26am
drybones,

i agree, the coolest thing about sirruis is when they have people like buddy cage dj on the jamband channel, my jab at the djs is mostly aimed at the outlaw country station djs, who i also think are really repetive, its seems that overall the sirrius libeary appears to be alot smaller, somtimes its almost like the djs show up with a box of their own cds.

Willie Poole
Dec-16-2005, 1:34pm
For the most part Sirius is tops but as I type this I have been listening for over an hour and haven`t heard one song that I consider bluegrass....I called them and told them so too....Just now they have put on some traditional sounding bluegrass songs....I guess it depends on who the DJ is as to what we will get to listen to....Like I said for the most part i enjoy it...I also tape it from midnight to 6Am and make my own cassettes and CD`s so I can`t really complain, at least that way I can fast forward it and listen to what I want....Just my 2 cents worth....Willie http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sleepy.gif