PDA

View Full Version : Nashville area Eastmans

Pete Counter
Mar-30-2017, 2:37pm
Looking for my second mandolin, I have a killer Kentucky KM1500 so i dont need another F style or want one. I would like an Oval hole A model as I like the sound and its very different from the F style sound, I cant afford the old gibsons which i really would buy if money were no object. but I kinda like the Eastman MD304 or MD404. I know the 304 is maple body and the 404 is mahogany. I wish I could A/B them..does anybody know of a place in the Nashville area that carries a good selection of Eastmans?

red7flag
Mar-30-2017, 2:57pm
Eastman site listed Carter Vintage and Corner Music as Nashville dealers. Carter had none listed. Corner music had no ovals. My fall back for ovals, although not here in Nashville, it The Music Emporium. NFI. They have an Eastman 502, 514. Here is the link:

http://themusicemporium.com/mandolins/perpage/24/manufacturer/eastman

Pete Counter
Mar-30-2017, 4:26pm
yes, ive kept an eye on carters, good place to go play some of the Gibson ovals but no eastmans. Corner, tho at one time carried many good quality mandolins (the only place I ever found webers) no longer carries anything decent as far as mandolins go. Im hoping somebody comes back with some music store im not aware of that has quite a few. I checked cottons too and no luck there either. Im afraid I may have to drive to Gianna violins in east TN
Btw..thanks for link..ive been to the site...but I was asking so I could play some..boston is a little far to drive. lol

Eric F.
Mar-30-2017, 5:03pm
Louisville is less than three hours away, and Steilberg Strings shows a bunch of Eastman ovals on its website. I've bought a mandolin and a guitar from Steilberg. They're good people.

Pete Counter
Mar-30-2017, 5:12pm
Thanks Eric...im about 1 1/2 south of nashille so thats about 41/2 hrs drive..gianna is probly closer, but its a possible place to try, thanks!

acousticphd
Mar-30-2017, 5:21pm
Looking for my second mandolin, I have a killer Kentucky KM1500 so i dont need another F style or want one. I would like an Oval hole A model as I like the sound and its very different from the F style sound, I cant afford the old gibsons which i really would buy if money were no object. but I kinda like the Eastman MD304 or MD404. I know the 304 is maple body and the 404 is mahogany. I wish I could A/B them..does anybody know of a place in the Nashville area that carries a good selection of Eastmans?

Corner Music on 12th Av South currently has Eastmans (decent or indecent, depending on your opinion). I'm sure I have seen oval-hole models there at times in the past. Of course ovals are much less popular, here as well as elsewhere (this is coming from an oval-hole player). The Eastman site also shows Custom Fretted Instruments in Sparta, TN is a dealer. I wouldn't give up on having an old Gibson. They can be had for $1K, but it requires patience. I have never played an Eastman oval hole - and I've played quite a few - that held a candle, sound-wise, to a Gibson A-oval.

Stephen Perry
Mar-30-2017, 6:29pm
I have a 404 and 504 in hand, about 3 hours out from Nashville. 404 is great, but might be gone shortly - has an admirer.

Pete Counter
Mar-30-2017, 6:50pm
thanks Stephen, I may come see you, Acousticphd...Thanks for the tip..i havent been to corner in awhile I take a run up there first and see.

colorado_al
Apr-03-2017, 12:10am
I played a bunch of good Eastman mandolins in Corner Music last month. Staff was really great too. I'd call them up and see what they have in stock. Their website doesn't list everything they have on the wall. One particularly sweet one was an MD815v.
Also, Steve Perry from Gianna, is awesome. If you're close, check that out

acousticphd
Apr-05-2017, 6:10pm
thanks Stephen, I may come see you, Acousticphd...Thanks for the tip..i havent been to corner in awhile I take a run up there first and see.

FYI, Pete - I stopped in Corner Music this week and all the Eastmans they had currently were f-hole types.

Br1ck
Apr-08-2017, 3:48pm
You owe it to yourself to try and find a Flatiron flat top. I liked the one I played far better than the Eastmans. YMMV. Should have bought it.