PDA

View Full Version : Noam Pikelny, making banjo attractive again...

fscotte
Mar-30-2017, 4:57am
Ok, so attractive may be pushing the limits of hype, but this promotion is hilarious.

https://youtu.be/W8YFuhVVZX8

Skip Kelley
Mar-30-2017, 6:02am
That is funny! Thanks for posting the video!

Clinton Johnson
Mar-30-2017, 6:43am
Good one fscotte :))

BrianWilliam
Mar-30-2017, 7:30am
"Sometimes the paparazzi have dogs"

MediumMando5722
Mar-30-2017, 7:57am
Go see his show if you get a chance.

AlanN
Mar-30-2017, 8:05am
+1

Timbofood
Mar-30-2017, 8:14am
Best darned ad I've seen in years! What a sense of the obtuse!

mmuller
Mar-30-2017, 8:38am
Putting pedal steel players of America to work again! Yea Noam!

F-2 Dave
Mar-30-2017, 8:40am
Glad Noam found his way back to Noam.

dhergert
Mar-30-2017, 9:19am
Yup, he's gone through a lot. I'm glad to see his life is getting back to noamal.

BradKlein
Mar-30-2017, 9:36am
The solo show is a tour de force, and you should NOT miss it if Noam is coming to your town. (check web site and FB)

He played Bowery Ballroom last week here in NYC, and to give a condensed review: It was a fantastic, tight, funny show which showcased his skills as a multi-instrumentalist (and yes, quite good vocalist). A treat for lovers of fine instruments and way above average FOH sound. Plectrum resonator, acoustic and electric guitars had supporting roles. And the old top-tension banjo (it's back!) sounded sweeter than any banjo you've ever heard live. And really funny between-song patter.

I spoke to a fine veteran banjo player, his initials are TT, and his last name rhymes with Brischka. He told me the first time he had a solo gig, he picked some songs, put them in order, and showed up with his banjo. Noam's is another thing entirely. A well crafted, completely thought out evening.

Clinton Johnson
Mar-30-2017, 9:36am
It'd be kinda hard to pass up a phone call from Alison Krauss for anything ...just sayin (imho);)

Chunky But Funky
Mar-30-2017, 9:56am
I've been fortunate to see the Punch Brothers a couple of times and Noam's solo shows in Pittsburgh for both his "One man, One Banjo" and "Universal Favorite" solo tours. I believe he said that Pittsburgh was the only city where he had shows on both solo tours. He obviously is an amazing talent on the banjo, but his guitar playing / singing are amazing as well. I love hearing him play that National resonator plectrum guitar. He is also very accommodating with pictures and autographs after the shows. Good guy.

Doug

In this first pic, my daughter has the "Punch" cigar box guitar she gave to the band in Delaware. I thought it was cool when it showed up on Pittsburgh's C-list, so I grabbed it specifically to give to them. The second pic is last week at the Pittsburgh show.

George R. Lane
Mar-30-2017, 10:36am
That does it, I am changing my mantra from 'OM" to 'Noam".

Randi Gormley
Mar-30-2017, 11:18am
Lordy, that was a great picker-upper. I saw Noam a couple years ago when he was playing with a group and for the encore, he said he was going to go acoustic, so he and the band jumped off the stage and stood on the floor (this was a tiny theater, I think it seats 120 on a good day) and played for another 20 minutes. Spectacular musician and all-around good guy. And although I seldom buy music CDs, I'd love this one .. honestly, in part because of this ad.