PDA

View Full Version : Tenor Guitar - Silk and Steel Strings?

jackieh
Mar-25-2017, 4:21pm
Been playing slide on Baritone Uke in open G tuning (DGBD).
Like the sound/feel of a glass slide on nylon with wound 3rd and 4ths.

I have a Blueridge steel string tenor. Don't like slide on the steel strings (currently coated Elixir 16052's, strings 1-4).
Tried classical strings on it. Not good unless plugged in. (Bracing).
Don't like the Pono Nylon tenors. The Blueridge almost as loud as it with nylons.

Been reading about the Silk and Steel type strings that I see a lot of companies make.
Anyone used these type of strings on a tenor guitar?
If so- please advise which ones are worth buying/trying.

Thanks!

MikeEdgerton
Mar-25-2017, 6:21pm
I used silk and steel guitar strings for years. I'm assuming the tenor sets would be similar to the regular sets. Basically the the wound strings are wound around silk (well maybe it's silk) strands. The sound is a little softer, mellower and they are generally very light gauge and easy to fret. They go dead a little faster and they aren't as loud. If the music and places you play can work with that then you might like them a whole lot. I always recommended them to students who were having trouble with fretting.

jackieh
Mar-25-2017, 6:34pm
Thanks Mike - I would just get the guitar strings and use first 4. Since they are lower tension I I could probably go fatter. I was just going to order a set to try- then see a whole bunch of companies make them.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-25-2017, 7:30pm
The guitar set might be cheaper :cool:

I used Martin's in the old days.