PDA

View Full Version : Zoom Q2N?

mcgroup53
Mar-24-2017, 7:52am
Anyone have direct experience with the Zoom Q2N? I am using a Saramonic mixer and 2 small condenser mics running into my iPhone 7 Plus, and that works. But it's a clunky set up. The Zoom is all self-contained and engineered specifically for live music capture.

Just curious if any MC forum members have tried it. Thanks

9lbShellhamer
Mar-26-2017, 2:40pm
They look pretty awesome... Interested to hear feedback too.

:popcorn:

bbcee
Mar-28-2017, 4:10am
There's a thread from January here (https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?129402-Zoom-Q2n-new-toy&highlight=Zoom), with some example recordings. I see you posted to it, mcgroup53 ... senior moment?? :whistling:

Ron McMillan
Mar-28-2017, 5:08am
One glaring flaw with my Zoom Q2n is battery life, which is non-existent. The manual claims two hours' use for alkalines, but I don't get a fraction of that. It is so bad that I suspect mine is faulty, but warranty back-up where I am is a bit of a lottery.

However I found a solution. A smartphone external battery pack with a similar output in mAh lasts forever - and comes equipped with the cable and socket required to plug straight into the Q2n.

Ron McMillan
Mar-28-2017, 5:13am
I'm very happy with the sound, and the video is acceptable. This one is converted to black-and-white in Windows Movie Maker, only because the lighting in the bar was atrocious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Ae-8UI07I

Another one shows how well it deals with loud electric blues in a crowded noisy bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6avHnUnF6E

Astro
Mar-28-2017, 1:13pm
I've never used one but looked through all the web reviews and samples when I was thinking hard about getting one.

I figured the video quality was much less than the latest generation cell phones. The audio quality was a little better to a lot better depending on background noise, type of music, and distance from the mic.

I mostly wanted it to post song performances of band and/or self to FB pages and Utube so that greatly limits the quality of sound of the final product anyway.

The final thing for me was ease of posting to FB and utube. Its way easier with the cell phone which really has become a direct thing. And its really easy to snip out the start and ending right there on the cell phone. With the zoom it all has to be uploaded into computer and then uploaded again to FB/Utube.

So my thought was to just used my cell phone and get the cable with preamp that allows you to hook up your home mics to the cell phone. So I got one. Guess what. For whatever reason, it doesnt work. I'm still researching why.

And so it continues....

mcgroup53
Apr-04-2017, 10:56am
I think I agree, especially b/c I own the Saramonic condenser mic mixer that feeds high-res audio to my iPhone 7. I'm getting the best of both worlds, I think

Astro
Apr-04-2017, 2:49pm
I think I agree, especially b/c I own the Saramonic condenser mic mixer that feeds high-res audio to my iPhone 7. I'm getting the best of both worlds, I think

Wow, I just checked that out. Looks like just what I need. I tried the irig but couldn't get it to work for whatever reason. I just wanted a way to run my cell phone video thru my condenser mic for better sound. But I like that that Saramonic come with a couple of mics for on the go recording too where dragging my big mic out wouldnt be wise.

Seter
Apr-04-2017, 5:13pm
I have an H2n (no video just sound) that I got from my anthropology department for recording interviews, it works very well for recording music, sound effects etc as well though. The 2Qn has me interested as well.

mcgroup53
Apr-05-2017, 7:10am
The Saramonic works well, if you can deal with the big set-up. Just saw the Zoom has a new unit, the iQsomething, that plugs right into the Lightning port, so that's probably excellent.

Seter
Mar-10-2018, 2:50pm
I just ordered a Q2n for a great deal, I'll post some videos once I can. Those of you that have one, what tripods if any do you like to use with it?

jefflester
Mar-12-2018, 6:17pm
I just use a mic stand. Zoom makes a convenient little plastic adapter that has a standard camera stud on top and then tapers down to be held in a normal mic clip.

https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Tripod-Stand-Adapter-Recorders/dp/B0032D0P84