PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Nashville included trip to Carter Vintage Guitars !

fidlplr1979
Mar-21-2017, 11:12am
So we had a private party gig last weekend in Nashville and while I was there I made a trip over to Carter Vintage. Wow ! Never in my life have I seen so many priceless mandolins under one roof ! I play a meager Eastman 615 and even though I've played a few very nice handmade instruments over the years I have never played anything in the 10-20,000$ range and I now see why these instruments command such high prices. The sound and tone of these mandolins blew me away ! I played old Gibsons, Gilchrist, Ellis, Red Diamond and Nugget mandolins while I was there and was immediately taken by how rich and complex each note sounded. It was like every chord was lush and rich with beautiful overtones and sustain and every note cut through the air like a knife yet was soft and sweet. I think personally the Red Diamond both played the closest to what I prefer as far as radiused fretboard and nut width and sounded the best to my ears. ( I didn't hear any of the Loars as they were behind glass )
I know this revelation will come as no surprise to most of you, I just wanted to share my experience playing some of the worlds top names in mandolins and just how far beyond your garden variety Eastman, Kentucky or even Gibson these instruments truly are. Truly amazing craftsmanship.

fidlplr1979
Mar-21-2017, 11:21am
what I found sort of puzzling was how the Gibsons I played were not what I was expecting as far as tone and playability for the price they command. The highest priced Gibson I tried was a 9,000$ Master-Model from the 80's and while it had that unmistakable Gibson sound, it played somewhat hard (as I'm not a fan of flat fingerboards) and didn't sound as good as the Collings or Pava that were hanging next to it ? The 3,000$ f-5G ? Was not impressed at all and preferred the sound and playability of my $600 Eastman 615. I'm sure this comment will be wildly unpopular amongst the Gibson camp and while I still hold Gibson mandolins in the highest regard, I think some, not all but some are a bit overpriced.

Mike Stewart
Mar-21-2017, 11:30am
The highest priced Gibson I tried was a 9,000$ Master-Model from the 80's and while it had that unmistakable Gibson sound, it played somewhat hard (as I'm not a fan of flat fingerboards) and didn't sound as good as the Collings or Pava that were hanging next to it ?

Perhaps your ears prefer other builders over Gibson. At the moment, mine do. For the money spent on the Pava, I could have had any number of used or even new Gibsons. But my ears prefer the Pava. Doesn't mean I think Gibsons sound bad (hell, I own one), but for my money I'll take a different brand. Takes all kinds, yada, yada, yada.

red7flag
Mar-21-2017, 12:41pm
Fidlpir, I am curious is you could have one instrument from Carter's mandolin family (not including the Loars), which would pick and why. What aspect talked to you. Was there one with IT?

fidlplr1979
Mar-21-2017, 11:43pm
Most definitely it would have been a toss-up between the Nugget and Red Diamond mandolins I played. These spoke to me in ways that made putting each one down after playing was difficult to do they sounded so pleasant and played so easy.

red7flag
Mar-22-2017, 9:39am
Last time I was there, I felt the same way about the new Heiden. Funny how given a collection of top class instruments like they have at Carters will speak differently to each individual. The time before a Gilchrist 5C mandola did the speaking. Both the Heiden and the Gilchrist had very different voices.

fidlplr1979
Mar-22-2017, 10:11am
Last time I was there, I felt the same way about the new Heiden. Funny how given a collection of top class instruments like they have at Carters will speak differently to each individual. The time before a Gilchrist 5C mandola did the speaking. Both the Heiden and the Gilchrist had very different voices.

Yeah it's weird but I think as players, we all have in mind what would be the "ideal" instrument sound-wise and that embodiment can take many forms. When I first played an Eastman, I found what I'd always been looking for as far as tone and have been a loyal Eastman owner ever since. Some people don't care for their sound and prefer Kentucky or Loar in the same price-range. To each his own as long as the instrument makes you happy, that's all that counts.

oliverkollar
Mar-22-2017, 11:12am
Last time I was there, I felt the same way about the new Heiden.

That Heiden is no joke!
I couldn't put it down....it just sounded incredible.

Br1ck
Mar-26-2017, 2:12pm
There is a huge advantage to playing many instruments at one store. Regarding The Gibson sound, it has the chop and mid punch for sure. I did not indulge in that which I can not afford, but one thing that defines the tone I'm looking for is a non metallic, for want of a better word, G string. The F9 I played, and some Flatiron Festivals met that requirement. The Northfield F5s almost was there. The Kentucky master models not so much, though that may be what I end up with as a complement to my Silverangel.

Once you venture past the $3000 and above, I think it just becomes different flavors of good. I too am not a fan of a flat fingerboard, but probably could adjust if someone were to give me one.

I found out with guitars that for me, playing the really good stuff just breeds discontent with that which is paid for and I am happy with.

I'd still like an afternoon at Carter's. Plenty of sub $4000 mandos there.

My recent trip to The Mandolin Store did reinforce to me that my 199.00 MK Festival can hang with all but the $1000 plus imports.

GDCB
Mar-26-2017, 3:51pm
I still take for granted how fortunate I am to live in Nashville and be able to go visit all of these shops with nice instruments.

now to just find a jam to play in...

Mark Wilson
Mar-26-2017, 4:11pm
I did not indulge in that which I can not afford, but one thing that defines the tone I'm looking for is a non metallic, for want of a better word, G string. G or E?

William Smith
Mar-26-2017, 6:12pm
Carters prices are way more than Gruhns! But maybe room to wheel and deal, but a good share of the "high"end goods are on consignment! I'd like to try out that 41 F-5 thats been a little customized!, Anyone play that thing yet? :whistling:

Br1ck
Mar-26-2017, 11:06pm
G or E?

G. The wound strings , primarily the G, on chapter mandolins, have a sound I find hard to describe. The very nice Gibson F9 had a very solid G. I guess it is what is called woody.