PDA

View Full Version : The Enchanter's Reel (Original composition - demo)

Nyteshade
Mar-18-2017, 4:33am
Hey all,

I wrote and play rhythm mandolin on this song! Guitar and mando is such a beautiful combination, with the fiddle on top, oh joy! It is a demo, but the full version is on the way.

https://soundcloud.com/user-372453109/enchanters-reel

I am hoping for the Enchanter's Reel to spread across playing circles all across these fey isles, and beyond. Just as the Enchanter once roamed the land spreading enlightenment, spiritual counsel and healing magicks, so does his song!

For all is at peace, creative and caring when it is one with nature.

Bless you all,
Nyteshade :)

Randi Gormley
Mar-18-2017, 2:55pm
I like that -- do you have sheet music for it?

BJ O'Day
Mar-18-2017, 7:23pm
Like it also. Nice tune.
BJ

Nyteshade
Mar-19-2017, 3:42am
I'll draw one up for you Randi :)

Please send me a PM. It might take a week or so, as I'm more of a 'natural' composer and can't write or read music that well!

Nyteshade

Bertram Henze
Mar-19-2017, 5:01am
The fiddle seems to play 6/8, and the pointed rhythm of the accompaniment supports that. It's a jig at heart. It might pass as a hornpipe, the way King of the Fairies does, but reels are different.

John Kelly
Mar-19-2017, 6:36am
Looking forward to hearing the full version, as the mix on Soundcloud seems to be very backing-heavy. I'd like the fiddle to be a lot more prominent in the mix. :mandosmiley:

James Rankine
Mar-19-2017, 12:06pm
The fiddle seems to play 6/8, and the pointed rhythm of the accompaniment supports that. It's a jig at heart. It might pass as a hornpipe, the way King of the Fairies does, but reels are different.

Sounds fine to me - heavy emphasis on the second beat which is characteristic of a lot of English trad (and indeed western European trad - um pa and all that). If you had in mind an Irish reel I would agree they sound totally different.

Agree with John that the fiddle could do with being higher in the mix.

Nyteshade
Mar-19-2017, 12:49pm

Haha I imagine you are right Bertram! The Enchanter's Reel is just a name really. Maybe I should change it to the Enchanter's jig!

How would a reel sound? It could always be played as a reel?!

The Enchanter thanks you for your feedback!

Bertram Henze
Mar-19-2017, 1:04pm
It could always be played as a reel?!

That is always possible. Compare Leitrim Fancy and Round the World for Sport.

Randi Gormley
Mar-19-2017, 4:01pm
Reels are "black and decker" and jigs are "carrots and cabbages"