PDA

View Full Version : Kimble vs Apitius- anyone played both?

Upis Land
Mar-17-2017, 3:52pm
Sound, playability, feel in the hand?

I own a Kimble 2 point mandola, and a friend of mine has a Kimble F mandolin which is the only "high end" mandolin I have had the opportunity to play extensively. Yes I have been enjoying these immensely. But I don't have the years of experience playing dozens of fine mandolins that some of you have.

I have never had my hands on an Apitius, but am interested based on internet research- videos, recordings, forums and such.

So if anyone has experience with both, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks.

fscotte
Mar-17-2017, 5:14pm
Why are you drawn to an Apitius if you've never played one? Videos and such are a poor way to judge the sound.

sgarrity
Mar-17-2017, 5:23pm
They're both really fine mandolins. I like the look and feel of the Kimble more. His design aesthetic just appeals to me. I've also had a Kimble in the stable for most of the last 8+ years. Apitius wasn't building for awhile and then started up again here in the recent past.

jasona
Mar-17-2017, 8:45pm
I got a chance to mess around with the Apitius that Andrew Collins once owned, and it was an exceptional mandolin with a ton of low end response (you can hear it on this album (https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/andrew) played by Marc Roy--track 5 you can hear it opposite Andrew's old Heiden. Also I think on track 4 with Andrew on his mandocello).

I have never played a Kimble but almost bought one a long time ago ("Blackie" from Mike Stangeland--the one I really regret letting get away)

Atlanta Mando Mike
Mar-18-2017, 8:02pm
Every mandolin is different. I currently have a Kimble and am pretty infatuated with it. That said, I owned another awhile back that just wasn't right for me. Was killer, but not for me. One of the new apitius' was up at Carter's 2 months ago and I came close to buying it. Was Sitka topped and the chop wasn't quite as big as I wanted but the single note playing was fantastic. I also don't like his logo on the headstock from an Asthetics point of view. That's just personal preference though.

Here's my take.

I feel Kimble's fit and finish are at a higher level. I've also played more Kimbles that I have liked than Apitius' that I've liked. At the end of the day, it's about the mandolin though, and not the name. I do feel Both makers put out great mandolins and have put out master level instruments. But if I had to pick one or the other without playing them to be my mandolin and money didn't matter, I'd go Kimble every time.

DataNick
Mar-18-2017, 9:45pm
My 2 pennies: I've played Shaun's current Kimble F5 and a picker from the Bay Area's A5. Both are excellent mandolins, slightly different of course. The A5 was to me like a cross between a Brentrup and a Heiden, Shaun's F5 feels/sounds like a Master Model to me.

I've played one Apitus that a San Diego picker owns; felt/sounded like a good Gibson F5...YMMV

One major difference between the brands was lacquer (Apitus) vs varnish (Kimble) finishes.

Ray(T)
Mar-19-2017, 4:39am
My 2 pennies: I've played Shaun's current Kimble F5 and a picker from the Bay Area's A5. Both are excellent mandolins, slightly different of course. The A5 was to me like a cross between a Brentrup and a Heiden, Shaun's F5 feels/sounds like a Master Model to me.

I've played one Apitus that a San Diego picker owns; felt/sounded like a good Gibson F5...YMMV

One major difference between the brands was lacquer (Apitus) vs varnish (Kimble) finishes.

Can't comment on an Apitus - to be honest, I'd never heard of them before reading this thread - but I do have both a Kimble F5 and an A5. The A5 is very close to the Heiden; I was torn between the two when I bought the Kimble, apart from being cheaper, I preferred the sound of the Kimble.

As others have said, try both and see which you prefer. With instruments at this level, whilst they will sound different, only you can decide which you prefer.

Bill Cameron
Mar-19-2017, 6:46am
I have played a couple of Apitius' F-5 styles. I liked them very very much, found them comfortable, responsive and great sounding tops. Later on I found that the owner of one of them, a well-known Canadian player, surprisingly came to dislike his and traded it out...if I ever move to a high-end instrument Apitius is on the shortlist.

bernabe
Mar-19-2017, 6:55pm

Oliver moved exclusively to spirit varnish at some point, however I'm not sure how long ago.

DataNick
Mar-20-2017, 2:53pm
Oliver moved exclusively to spirit varnish at some point, however I'm not sure how long ago.

Thanks for the clarification; the model I played was a 2004 if memory serves me correctly; good to know he's using a varnish finish these days...

Denman John
Mar-21-2017, 7:24pm
We have both an Apitius and Kimble in our house, and I'm afraid that I will confuse you more than help. You have a Kimble mandola so you know the tone and quality that is present in Will's instruments. If you love it and want to stay in familiar pastures, I would say go for the Kimble ~ it's a safe bet and you have a good idea of what to expect if you can't play before buying.

On the other hand, I think you would really appreciate the Apitius if you like to venture away from bluegrass and fiddle tunes (which it does amazingly well). if you like gypsy jazz, swing or classical to name a few genres that can benefit from sustain and a more open sounding mandolin, then I think you would like the Apitius. The Apitius can handle bluegrass with authority and the chop can vary from a woof to a crack depending on your attack.

In our house, 2 would say they prefer the Kimble, and 2 would say they prefer the Apitius. They are on equal grounds in regards to sound quality, tone and playability and comes down to what you as a player prefer. Price wise I think you will find that you can pick up a Apitius cheaper than a Kimble. Either way you will end up with a great mandolin, whichever you choose.

Here is a video of my son playing his Apitius with Mike Marshall recently at Wintergrass to give you an idea of what it sounds like. Good luck on your search and let us know what you decide.

John

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MabHCetfEmo&feature=youtu.be

Cheryl Watson
Mar-21-2017, 9:39pm
I've owned both. My Apitius had a rich, sweet, clear tone. The Kimble had more volume in the midrange and highs and more midrange and high cut.

Atlanta Mando Mike
Mar-23-2017, 5:27am
The Apitius that just hit the classifieds from Music Emporium is stunning. Looks like that is his model that is more loar based. I like the smaller logo script on the headstock as well!!! Hopefully they will get a sound clip up soon.

FLATROCK HILL
Mar-23-2017, 9:26am
The Apitius that just hit the classifieds from Music Emporium is stunning. Looks like that is his model that is more loar based. I like the smaller logo script on the headstock as well!!! Hopefully they will get a sound clip up soon.

Not too familiar with the Apitius, but like you, I was very impressed by the one in the classifieds. What a beautiful mandolin! First thought that went through my mind was...I wonder what Atlanta Mando Mike doesn't like about that headstock logo.?. :)

Upis Land
Apr-27-2018, 8:54am
Ok, I have an update for this thread. It turns out I am now possession of one of each. Isn't MAS a funny thing? Both are red spruce and sugar maple; as one might expect their personalities are quite different. In order to try to capture the varied sounds, here is a long jam on each.

So crawl into the paper bag with me if you dare, but don't say I didn't warn you.

WARNING: This recording is 20 minutes long. Kimble is first and Apitius starts at 10:30 (recording path: sure ksm44 - mackie cr1604 - sony pcm-m10)

https://soundcloud.com/user-103985771/z0000037wav

fscotte
Apr-27-2018, 6:53pm
That Kimble sounds really fine to my ears.

Matt Bowe
Apr-27-2018, 8:36pm
To my ears the Kimble sounds clean and uniform. The Apitius has more overtones, complexity and color. Assume both are F style?

sgarrity
Apr-27-2018, 8:52pm
What year is the Kimble? And we need pics! :grin:

dang
Apr-28-2018, 11:50am
A while back I had looked at the Apitius website when I recognized the quote he used in his signature, you have to love a Pirsig quote... I saw this and found it helpful:

Pronounciation Help

"Apitius"......... uh - PIT - tee - us (Much like the last four syllables of "Strad ivarius")

Upis Land
Apr-29-2018, 7:43pm
Pictures as requested.

George R. Lane
Apr-29-2018, 8:35pm
What year is the Kimble? And we need pics! :grin:

He said it was a 2001.

FLATROCK HILL
Apr-30-2018, 6:56am
He said it was a 2001.

I can't find that written anywhere here. In the beginning of the Sound Cloud clip it sounds like he says the Kimble is a 2009.

AMandolin
Apr-30-2018, 8:31am
Kimble for me also. In fact, I love the sound so much I own one.

Ray(T)
Apr-30-2018, 9:40am
Kimble for me also. In fact, I love the sound so much I own one.

Only one! I have two, both from 2008.

Drew Egerton
Apr-30-2018, 10:26am
I think I prefer the Kimble, but I wouldn't kick either one of them out of bed so to speak. Very nice.

Demetrius
May-01-2018, 11:27am
A while back I had looked at the Apitius website when I recognized the quote he used in his signature, you have to love a Pirsig quote... I saw this and found it helpful:

Pronounciation Help

"Apitius"......... uh - PIT - tee - us (Much like the last four syllables of "Strad ivarius")

And sounds like De-me-trius.

Thanks,
Demetrius

AMandolin
May-01-2018, 4:23pm
RayT... lucky you. Which models do you have?

Ray(T)
May-02-2018, 3:04am
Bought an A5 new and was so happy with it that, when a used F5 came up, I just had to have it.

Upis Land
May-04-2018, 4:12pm
I'd like to thank everyone for your replies. Seems more people prefer the Kimble. Interestingly, when I listen back to the recording, I hear the same thing.

I love everything about my Kimble mandola. As for the Kimble F5, I love everything about it except sometimes the E string is too strong for my sensitive ears if I play a long time.

The Apitius rewards a light touch, and I find myself playing it for longer stretches of time; which in turn makes both mandolins sound better.