PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on Doug O'Dell mandolins

Rick Morris
Mar-15-2017, 2:33pm
Hi, I am looking for info on 2 different Doug O'Dell (Lakewood, Ohio) F style, acoustic mandolins. The first is an Old Town model. The 2nd is a Gibson copy made by him. I was told he made some of these until Gibson put a stop to that. It has a lot of inlay and it has a Gibson label on the top. The are both very nice except a piece of the white plastic on the side is chipped. Any info and a ballpark value would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-15-2017, 3:11pm
....I was told he made some of these until Gibson put a stop to that......

I wouldn't give that one too much thought, it's highly unlikely that they ever went after a small builder when there were much better known builders doing the same thing. It's like "The Lawsuit" that is touted around. It covered one headstock shape and had nothing to do with 99% of the instruments applied to it.

With that said, there are 2 O'Dells that come up in a search of the forum. One was Doug and the other is Keith. I don't know if there is any connection other than the name. Here (https://www.google.com/search?q=doug+o%27dell+site%3Amandolincafe.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8) is a forum search with every reference to Doug O'Dell I can find. It appears he was gone by 2010. If he's still building someone will pop in with that information. It's always good to post pictures if you want someone to give you an idea of the value.

Rick Morris
Mar-15-2017, 4:54pm
Thanks Mike. I will post some pics.

jefflester
Mar-15-2017, 5:25pm
Doesn't really help with this query, but Doug O'Dell made some mighty fine emandos in a 2-pont shape similar to the Gibson EM-200 Florentine.

mrmando's emando site mentions he is retired:
http://www.emando.com/builders_inactive/ODell.htm

They sold new for about $2K.

mrmando
Mar-15-2017, 5:40pm
I had a Les Paul electric that he built as well. I don't know anything about his acoustics, though.

Rick Morris
Mar-16-2017, 6:47pm
154944154945154946154947 Odell pics

MikeEdgerton
Mar-16-2017, 7:19pm
One of the threads from several years ago showed one of the G*bson labeled models was for sale at Elderly for $2500.00 if I recall. Keep in mind that retail stores can generally get more than private sellers.

Rick Morris
Mar-16-2017, 9:18pm
Mike, thanks for your comments and expertise. I really appreciate the time and effort of everyone on this forum. The G.bson is a signed 1984 model and the Old Town serial number is probably late 80's. There is an issue with both of these. The neck was pulled on both of these mandos many years ago. They were re glued and the necks were reinforced. No doubt they are stronger now than ever but the damage is already done. Both also have a chipped piece of plastic on the top side. Unfortunate, but it is what it is. I see there is an Old Town in nice shape on eBay now with a bid for $899. Thanks again for the help.