PDA

View Full Version : The myth of a standing ovation

AaronWeinstein
Mar-15-2017, 10:28am
Well, this isn't mandolin specific but it was written by a mandolinist (does that count).

Hope you enjoy.

https://youtu.be/xDQ9r6LW6wM

Phil Goodson
Mar-16-2017, 10:45am
How many times have I had those thoughts go through my head after attending a performance?:whistling:

But .... sometimes it's real.:)

MikeEdgerton
Mar-16-2017, 12:37pm
I usually get walking ovations.

bigskygirl
Mar-16-2017, 8:12pm
Hopefully, this is tongue in cheek...if it's not then I'd give your audiences more credit...

Randi Gormley
Mar-17-2017, 9:49am
Interesting enough, a standing ovation can be both -- appreciation and politeness. The one doesn't rule out the other. It could also mean someone needs to stand up after sitting for a long time. I always give the audience the benefit of the doubt!

The poem does include a bit of acid though, of the woman "who believes what she wants." Lot of passive aggressive dislike or jealousy going on there!

I love the illustrations. Very '20s/'30s.

MikeZito
Mar-24-2017, 9:48am
I once did a solo show at a county fair, just before a dance troop of 7-year old girls came on to perform. The audience during the last 10 minutes of my set was a small group of grandfathers who sat in the front row. After each song they just sat and looked right through me, with arms crossed and emotionless faces - like I didn't even exist . . . talk about a tough crowd! Needless to say, simple applause never even occurred to them - much less a 'polite standing ovation'. To make matters worse, not more than 50 feet from the stage, there was a tractor pull competition going on - so every 5 minutes, these monster tractors started revving their engines, and drowned out every sound for 100 yards around.

You just cant make this stuff up . . . .

JeffD
Mar-24-2017, 9:58am
Very funny. I loved it.

Timbofood
Mar-24-2017, 6:21pm
There is truth in the clip to be sure, I know way too many people who feel that the sorriest performance merited standing ovation simply because they needed to put their coats on! I am not often moved to give standing applause, but, in this day of "everyone gets an award" the standing ovation is becoming, at least as far as I see it here in Kalamazoo, simply the accepted form of ending any performance. Just one mans opinion.

Mark Wilson
Mar-24-2017, 6:33pm
You can't not notice a tepid standing O as much as you can't deny a rowdy "omg I can't believe I just saw that" standing O. The difference is night and day
That people stand at the end has little significance to performance and is most often out of respect. imo

Timbofood
Mar-25-2017, 8:37am
People stand because they want to beat the rush to the parking lot.