PDA

View Full Version : What is "m style"?

AndyPanda
Mar-12-2017, 10:29pm
Is there such a thing as a Gibson M style mandolin? Google search only comes back around to show the same GC listing.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/Vintage-1918-The-Gibson-M-Style-Mandolin-A-Frame-Mandolin.gc

mrmando
Mar-12-2017, 10:38pm
Well, you can fit what the average Guitar Center employee knows about vintage mandolins into a thimble and still have room for most of the New York Philharmonic.

AndyPanda
Mar-12-2017, 10:49pm
but ... but... but ... it says it's an M style with an A frame. It's gotta be awesome!

Ray(T)
Mar-13-2017, 6:47am
Wrong tuners, crumbling pickguard and wrong clamp ............

MediumMando5722
Mar-13-2017, 7:10am
M = Mandolin style

Astro
Mar-13-2017, 7:27am
Ohh its a mandolin-style mandolin. We should have known.

My second mandolin was a banjo. It was a terrible mandolin. But it did allright for playing banjo so I just kept it for that.

Timbofood
Mar-15-2017, 3:38pm
There's a saying in my family:
"Mammy made!" Generally hacked together, lines not fair, shape not "right", etc., you get the idea.
Maybe that's it.

zedmando
Mar-19-2017, 1:25am
Ohh its a mandolin-style mandolin. We should have known.

My second mandolin was a banjo. It was a terrible mandolin. But it did allright for playing banjo so I just kept it for that.

Then only one of my mandolins is a mandolin style mandolin!
hen all the others are guitars or basses...

varmonter
Mar-31-2017, 7:45am
Only able to be played in the style of " the father of blugrass" Bill Monroe"

Tom C
Mar-31-2017, 10:01am
Gibson did make an M-6 (modern times) which is a mando tuned as a guitar and has 6 strings. Maybe they once has one of those and think every one is an M

fscotte
Apr-01-2017, 8:16am
I always thought it meant "Mmmm mmmm good".

Rodney Riley
Apr-01-2017, 9:38am
Actually, "Hoffmann Lutherie" makes "M" style instruments. He used to be the "Boat Paddle Ukulele Company". Makes nylon strung ukuleles, mandolins and guitars. I have his first "M" style mando. http://hoffmannlutherie.com/ NFI.

Willie Poole
Apr-02-2017, 1:19pm
Some thing that is even more odd than that is when I was at a festival I asked one mandolin player what kind of mandolin he was playing when he was on the stage he answered "It is an older Martin M series", it looked like an F-5 model...I have tried to find out if Martin ever made an F-model and one fellow in Pa. said he saw one once....I suspect they were made by another company for Martin but I don`t know and haven`t found any info to say so...Maybe a builder built one and thought he would be able to sell it easier if it had a well known name on it...

If anyone knows of one please let me know, it will answer a few questions that I have lingering in my small mind...

Willie

Bob Bass
Apr-02-2017, 3:17pm
Back in the late 1930s, or possibly sometime in the 1940s, Gibson built a single experimental F-holed, scrolled mandolin that was called a Model M or Style M. When Dave Harvey was playing w/Larry Sparks in the late 1970s-early 1980s, he played this instrument in some live performances w/Larry that have somehow managed to find their way onto You Tube.

The instrument is somewhat larger than the normal F. The color of the top is a warm reddish tan, rather than a traditional sunburst. The instrument is incidentally mentioned in a couple of threads, but there may not be a thread devoted primarily to it. The mentions of it might show up in Cafe threads on a Google search.

short on time right now- sorry about not listing references.