PDA

View Full Version : Play "Green River" by CCR

Mark Gunter
Mar-10-2017, 5:48am
I started playing with this tune and had some fun with it, decided to make a brief tutorial on how to play the song Green River by Creedance Clearwater Revival.

I have a lot of projects going on and may never get around to really learning and smoothing this out - because I like my finger picked guitar version. So for the rock 'n' rollers out there, here is an unpolished, low-tech, down and dirty tutorial that will get you all the basic licks to play this song and amaze your friends and loved ones (that is, if they are old enough to dig some CCR)

JWMmAJ0cevo

AndyPanda
Mar-10-2017, 3:40pm
Thanks for posting this - one of my favorite tunes. I'm going to try and learn it from your video :)

AndyPanda
Mar-10-2017, 8:41pm
Thanks again! I've had the most fun time with this! Haven't got it smoothed out yet but really having fun bending the A strings :) learning those little bluesy riffs.

Mark Gunter
Mar-10-2017, 11:51pm
I'm glad you're having fun with it, Andy! It's a great guitar tune and always a hit. Kinda cool on mandolin too I think once it's polished up a bit.

zedmando
Mar-12-2017, 1:43am
Cool--something to try out...

Mark Gunter
Oct-19-2018, 8:19pm
Shamelessly bumping this thread - just on the off chance it might help somebody pick up a little CCR on the mandolin.

I threw this out onto YouTube over a year and a half back, while I was still pretty wet behind the ears on mandolin. I still haven't grown out of occasionally trying to transfer guitar stuff over to mandolin, and it's fun, and sometimes it works out OK. This little tutorial has been (relatively) popular on YouTube, and if it has helped anyone work up a version of this tune on mandolin, I'd like to hear about it ... and it would be awesome to hear your version played!

I made a finger style guitar arrangement for this tune years ago, and play it for people from time to time, which was the basis for these mandolin ideas. I may record it on guitar for fun sometime and do a tutorial on that as well. This was one of my first attempts at a YouTube tutorial, for me it's a near embarrassing blast from the past, but I think it has some merits.