PDA

View Full Version : If I Could Only Listen To One Player.

9lbShellhamer
Mar-09-2017, 11:00am
In a world where I could only pick one player to listen to for the rest of my short time here...

It's taken a few years to come to this answer... It'd be The Dawg.

I would dearly miss others that I love; the entire Thile discography, the style and flare of Jimmy Gaudreau, those early Sam Bush breaks with NGR, The mastery of Monroe defining a genre, Ricky Skaggs fusing new and old styles with such great tone, and more.

But I think the Dawg would be my pick.

It'd give a thorough discography of multiple genre's and stylistic elements...

Carry on. I'm just thinking aloud.

Kris N
Mar-09-2017, 11:05am
I'd have to wholeheartedly agree, Troy! Dawg embodies so many different styles of music and playing, that really he covers just about it all for me.

9lbShellhamer
Mar-09-2017, 11:09am
I want to incorporate many elements into my own playing... I love the DUDU crosspicking that Thile and the new generation are really perfecting, I love the power and rhythm of Monroe, I love the way Tim O'Brien slides into the melody on his tasteful breaks.

I think Dawg really incorporates so many of these elements, he can really do so many things on this little instrument. I love his versatility.

George R. Lane
Mar-09-2017, 11:22am
For me it would be John Reischman. I would love to be able to play like him. Like Dawg, he can play many different styles of music. And he is a very nice person on top of it.

Paul Hird
Mar-09-2017, 11:33am
Second John Reischman.

bigskygirl
Mar-09-2017, 11:37am
Emory Lester...I take lessons from Emory and am constantly amazed at his playing, interpretation of others' works, and his own original music. He too is a very nice person who is extremely generous with his time and effort when it comes to teaching be it Skype, in-person, or at the various camps he attends.

Ted Eschliman
Mar-09-2017, 11:50am
Will Patton. Effortless phrasing, true to the chord, and extremely creative.

DataNick
Mar-09-2017, 12:15pm
Ahh...the hypothetical taste question, to wit everyone's taste is different, no good & bad just different!

My taste would be Monroe because not only his playing but I'd get the wealth of his song catalogue, alot of which is his original songwriting...YMMV

roberto
Mar-09-2017, 12:20pm
Mike Marshall

jerrymartin
Mar-09-2017, 12:29pm
Hard and easy at the same time. I pick Jethro, with about fifty players tied for second.

Jerry M.

9lbShellhamer
Mar-09-2017, 12:37pm
Ahh...the hypothetical taste question, to wit everyone's taste is different, no good & bad just different!

My taste would be Monroe because not only his playing but I'd get the wealth of his song catalogue, alot of which is his original songwriting...YMMV

Definitely no rights or wrongs. It really shows what we individually like and value, be it mastery of one very specific skillset, like mastering Monroe style, or being able to do a little of everything, etc.

It's just fun to get ideas, like I know I need to listen to more Reischman! (and Will Patton!) :mandosmiley:

I definitely love Monroe Style, and really enjoy studying him straight from the source... (His own breaks, etc.) But also love these other guys! Finding what their trademarks are, etc. I'm finding crosspicking in the Thile style very challenging, but the new kids rising up are nailing it! (as proven by the Mandolin Monday videos. I'd like to add that style to my pallet to pull from.)

I guess since I like many different styles that's why I gravitate towards Grisman, and why I dig what Matt Flinner does... shifting from one style to another. Studying so many different musicians, even if mando isn't their main instrument.

Monroe gets my favorite catalog vote! (In terms of writing! It's incredible.)

Chuck Leyda
Mar-09-2017, 12:39pm
I think players who play in many genres have an advantage here. I'd go Mike Marshall

guidoStow
Mar-09-2017, 12:51pm
Matt Flinner. ( Don Stiernberg a very close second...)

NursingDaBlues
Mar-09-2017, 12:55pm
For me, it’s The Dawg.
Since his days with the Even Dozen Jug Band in the early 1960s, David Grisman has influenced my knowledge and understanding of the world of acoustic music. He’s introduced me to so many styles of music and so many top-flight musicians. He’s helped me recognize the depth, breadth, and versatility of the mandolin family of instruments. And he’s given me a greater appreciation of how and why other instruments combine in song. He’s shown me a history of music, has given me glimpses of the future of music, and all the while stayed grounded in the present.
Yeah, The Dawg rules.

JeffD
Mar-09-2017, 1:11pm
I don't see how any answer is possible. I think a good musician needs to be constantly exposed to a diverse range of influences, or risks becoming an "also" "in the style of" player. (One translation for "in the style of" is "not as good as".)

No problem following any artist, its the excluding the others that is musically unhealthy. IMO.

So, which artist are you determined to be not as good as?

JeffD
Mar-09-2017, 1:13pm
That said, I might be able to pick one or two from each genre of music as being the best example of what the mandolin can do in that genre. Something like that.

9lbShellhamer
Mar-09-2017, 1:22pm
I don't see how any answer is possible. I think a good musician needs to be constantly exposed to a diverse range of influences, or risks becoming an "also" "in the style of" player. (One translation for "in the style of" is "not as good as".)

No problem following any artist, its the excluding the others that is musically unhealthy. IMO.

Right.

I agree that to be a good musician you need to study many different supreme examples. To study Dawg, I want to study Monroe in depth, I want to study Django, Grapelli, in depth, I want to study those mentors who shaped him.

To study Thile; I want to study Dawg, I want to study Monroe, I want to study Mark O'Connor, etc etc etc
McReynolds fits in here somewhere...

Mike Compton however... He's pretty much NAILING the Monroe discipline, and in doing that, he's studying those forces which shaped Monroe. I'm sure he's quite happy with what he's doing, and he's quite respected.

catmandu2
Mar-09-2017, 1:36pm

Here's another perspective - check out Kess's, 8 posts down https://thesession.org/discussions/40460

JeffD
Mar-09-2017, 2:13pm
Here's another perspective - check out Kess's, 8 posts down https://thesession.org/discussions/40460

That works within a genre I agree.

guidoStow
Mar-09-2017, 2:15pm
Or in other words "Steal from the best. Then make it your own"

Franc Homier Lieu
Mar-09-2017, 2:19pm
Myself.

jshane
Mar-09-2017, 2:44pm
A different take-

The problem word for me here is "player". It sort of places the emphasis on technique. In this context, the best "players" aren't always those with enough breadth to be interesting exclusively. If I had to limit myself to listening to one artist it would more likely be someone who has already demonstrated a huge range of musicality-- preferably writing original material, as well as performing standards. Also, that person should be relatively young, and still actively producing new stuff....

With all that in mind, I'd probably go with one of the new young songwriters with a demonstrated mastery on the mandolin.

Sarah Jarosz comes to mind....

JeffD
Mar-09-2017, 2:44pm
Myself.

I agree with that for a bunch of reasons.

bobby bill
Mar-09-2017, 2:49pm
Myself.

You beat me to it. If I couldn't listen to myself, I wouldn't be playing. And as much as there are a gazillion better players, I would take the ability to play over listening to others. In any event, it seems like a good way to dodge an impossible question.

bobby bill
Mar-09-2017, 2:52pm
But if I had to pick someone besides myself, I've got to go with Jethro. Because he puts a big old smile on my face every time.

Bslot0622
Mar-09-2017, 2:53pm
Mike Compton. He's so good at what he does and his interpretations of some of the older tunes are so very different than mine...for example the video of him, Sierra Hull, and Casey Campbell playing Soldier's Joy. Always play it closer to Hull's interpretation of the head, but his just BLEW me a way. I also really enjoy watching his left hand slide around the finger board.

mandocrucian
Mar-09-2017, 3:17pm
Re: If I Could Only Listen To One Player.....It would get OLD and IRRITATING a lot sooner than you can imagine.

Just think of hearing a favorite tune over and over and over....., and over and over....., and over and over, until it becomes torture and turns into your own "Knock Three Times" or "Tie A Golden Ribbon" or "Achy Breaky Heart" personal torment.

Mike Stewart
Mar-09-2017, 4:45pm
I figured this thread would be dominated by "which of the big name players do you like?". Me, I'm going with a Pacific Northwest local: Tim Connell. Seems like he can play anything: old-time and bluegrass (check out his album June Apple), Celtic (that was his major or minor at the NY Conservatory of Music), and he's apparently nationally-known for choro (I wouldn't recognize a choro song if I heard one). Love his stage presence, love his style, love his tone. Amazing player, and very accessible through the workshop he does once a month at Dusty Strings. Yeah, I'm a groupie. Though if he's all I get to listen to, he needs to record more to fatten up that catalog. :)

Dave Bradford
Mar-09-2017, 4:51pm
If I could only pick one player, it would have to be Butch Baldassari. I am always inspired by the variety of music and different styles he could play so well on the mandolin. Sure wish he could have played longer than he did, but very thankful for what he left behind.

darylcrisp
Mar-09-2017, 5:33pm
John Reischman without hesitation for me.

So many others that I really enjoy that are right on the line though, Emory Lester, Andrew Marlin of MandolinOrange, Sierra Hull,Aaron Ramsey

CES
Mar-09-2017, 6:18pm
Thile for me, but give me a couple hours to think and I'll talk myself into someone else ;)

dwc
Mar-09-2017, 6:45pm
Chris Thile. You get the Nickel Creek catalog, the Punch Brothers catalog, the Mutual Admiration Society live shows, the Thile/Davies duo album, all of the solo stuff, plus the Prairie Home Companion shows, a lot of variety.

9lbShellhamer
Mar-09-2017, 6:56pm
Chris Thile. You get the Nickel Creek catalog, the Punch Brothers catalog, the Mutual Admiration Society live shows, the Thile/Davies duo album, all of the solo stuff, plus the Prairie Home Companion shows, a lot of variety.

You make a great point... Hmmmnnnn.... You'd get all the work with Edgar Meyer too.... It's amazing all he's amassed in 3.5 decades. It's a lifetimes work.

9lbShellhamer
Mar-09-2017, 7:01pm
Here is a Chris Thile playlist I created on Spotify that's pretty complete...
https://open.spotify.com/user/1244355997/playlist/6GN3jI6LWDdNEjuJkYte3w

And here is a
Grisman List...
https://open.spotify.com/user/1244355997/playlist/21iZ8A3UKFi49prrwZa8rH

MediumMando5722
Mar-09-2017, 7:21pm
Tim O'Brien

Ryk Loske
Mar-09-2017, 7:41pm
Being a Jethrovian it would have to be Mr. Burns for those in the celestial band ...... for those among us here on earth it would have to be his acolyte Sir Don of Stiernberg.

Ryk

Al Trujillo
Mar-09-2017, 7:46pm
For me it would be John Reischman. I would love to be able to play like him. Like Dawg, he can play many different styles of music. And he is a very nice person on top of it.

Yup...what he says.

Mark Miller
Mar-09-2017, 8:19pm
I'm in the Dawg pound. I love lots of players, but D is why I picked up the mandolin. He can play something very simple and make me drop everything to listen. He can play straight-up Bluegrass with the best of them. Ditto for swing jazz. Then there's that Dawg music. I'm very glad to be able to listen to many people, but the idea of the OP is you're somehow only given access to one...

Strad
Mar-09-2017, 8:23pm
There's so many great players out there like Frank Solivan, Dave Harvey, Ronnie Mccoury, Doyle Lawson, I've learned something from all of them. And the greats that have passed. Monroe, Duffey, Dempsey young and so on. I could list great mandolin players all day but I can't pick just one, I love music so much that I look so forward to listening and learning from everyone, that's what makes music so great for me. I'm sorry I can't pick just one. I just can't and won't !!

Nathan Kellstadt
Mar-09-2017, 8:34pm
I've got to go with Jethro. Because he puts a big old smile on my face every time.

I'm leaning this way for the same reason.

homermando
Mar-09-2017, 9:16pm
There is a man named Andy Statman who burns so bright it hurts! I heard "Andy's Ramble" in the early 90s and wanted to play mandolin and incorporate my entire history of musical interests as he does still! Rock and roll, jazz, Bill Monroe, modal and Klezmer music, all played with the force of a hurricane and the depth of an ocean; and never the same way twice! And he often encompasses all of this in a single improvised solo! I don't often listen to him because his sheer intensity is all but over whelming, and like Coltrane, I have to make a major commitment to the experience. There is not even a close second.

homermando
Mar-09-2017, 9:18pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysOhCalZueI

JeffD
Mar-10-2017, 12:26am
There is a man named Andy Statman

Yes there is.

He was my first mandolin hero. I must have worn a new groove in my Flatbush Waltz album. And I have his album Brooklyn, which is flat out borderless.

Jim
Mar-10-2017, 4:21am
Dawg for me to with a lot of close seconds. Glad I don't have to make that choice😀

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-10-2017, 4:22am
Praise the good Lord that this is a purely a hypothetical question !!!. John Reischman / Herschel Sizemore / Emory Lester / Adam Steffey / Jimmy Gaudreau / Jeff Midkiff / Bill Monroe / Butch Baldassari / Randy Jones / Jeff Parker / Don Rigsby / Jesse Smathers / Ron Pennington ................!

I listen to nearly all these guys & the bands that they play with daily - so if i had to pick just one,i'd go for Adam Steffey / John Reischman / Bill Monroe .......... Sorry,i can't count either !!. A truly impossible question for me, :(
Ivan;)

banjoboy
Mar-10-2017, 9:40am
Sam Bush

red7flag
Mar-10-2017, 9:49am
I have never really patterned my playing after one player. As my playing has gravitated from Grass to roots, my focus has moved to Adam Steffey. His solo CDs really capture a soul that I like to emulate. I love the tone he brings out of his instruments. I really like the melodic nature of his playing. There are players with more notes and more technique, but not that I would prefer to listen to.

FLATROCK HILL
Mar-10-2017, 9:58am
Floyd Cramer:)

Charlieshafer
Mar-10-2017, 10:21am
As much as I'd like to say myself, I much prefer listening to really good players, so it's a tie between Mike Marshall and Andy Statman. I guess it just depends o the mood I'm in.

JEStanek
Mar-10-2017, 10:52am
I can't play this. Really. I can't. It would be like breathing the same air, eating the same food, or drinking only one thing for me.

It's the variety of players, strengths, weaknesses, styles that brings me joy when listening. I can't even name a single favorite at the top of my list player unless we caveat it with a Heisenberg Uncertainty principle. You can either know what kind of music I'm listening to at the moment or the player but not both at once!

DawgThileStatmanZanesMcCourySkaggsOBrien.......... .Me

Jamie

catmandu2
Mar-10-2017, 11:26am
Could the 'player' be deceased?

Bach

mandocrucian
Mar-10-2017, 11:40am
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hfirdv34n7A/TEVSGkMVp6I/AAAAAAAAFUA/VIYf_-RQmZU/s1600/Songs+of+Yogi+Bear+and+All+His+Pals+LP.jpg

Denny Gies
Mar-10-2017, 12:21pm
This question is toooooooooooo hard to answer.

Chanmandolin
Mar-10-2017, 3:20pm
Maybe not my #1 answer buy how come nobody talks about Shawn lane from Blue Highway on the cafe? He was one of my inspirations growing up. Always loved his tone and how he would shape the melody around his solo.

jesserules
Mar-10-2017, 10:13pm
Ry Cooder.

Mark Wilson
Mar-10-2017, 10:44pm
I figured this thread would be dominated by "which of the big name players do you like?". Me, I'm going with a Pacific Northwest local: Tim Connell. Seems like he can play anything: old-time and bluegrass (check out his album June Apple), Celtic (that was his major or minor at the NY Conservatory of Music), and he's apparently nationally-known for choro (I wouldn't recognize a choro song if I heard one). Love his stage presence, love his style, love his tone. Amazing player, and very accessible through the workshop he does once a month at Dusty Strings. Yeah, I'm a groupie. Though if he's all I get to listen to, he needs to record more to fatten up that catalog. :)That would be my one atm. If you should listen to what moves you most - he's it right now

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-11-2017, 5:46am
Chanmandolin - I listen to Shawn Lane nearly everyday. Blue Highway are one of my very favourite bands. Their songs are so melodic,it's hard not to like everything that they do,so,i use their recordings as 'pick along' tunes. Here's one that'll shake the dust off - ''Monrobro''.
Shawn's ''Dearstone'' mandolin sounds as good as 'any' i've heard to date !,
Ivan;)

https://youtu.be/tkrpHmesNS8

Chanmandolin
Mar-11-2017, 2:47pm
Chanmandolin - I listen to Shawn Lane nearly everyday. Blue Highway are one of my very favourite bands. Their songs are so melodic,it's hard not to like everything that they do,so,i use their recordings as 'pick along' tunes. Here's one that'll shake the dust off - ''Monrobro''.
Shawn's ''Dearstone'' mandolin sounds as good as 'any' i've heard to date !,
Ivan;)

https://youtu.be/tkrpHmesNS8

Yes ! Love Shawn. Looking forward to seeing them in just 2 weeks time! I noticed in a video recently Shawn wasnt playing the "dearstone", and it was a very noticeable difference

zedmando
Mar-12-2017, 1:32am
Mandolin player?
Probably Yank Rachell.
maybe Rich Del Grosso

Both of whom I think I discovered due to this forum.

Dave Hanson
Mar-12-2017, 2:48am
It would have to be me, or in your own case you, if that was the only one you could listen to, why would you listen to anyone else.

Dave H

Dave Hanson
Mar-12-2017, 2:50am
I think what the OP really meant was ' who is your favourite mandolin player ? '

Dave H

mcgroup53
Mar-13-2017, 8:33am
Reischman

JeffD
Mar-13-2017, 9:27am
So if you want to pick one player, who by listening to, could improve your playing the most, and inspire you to great achievement, I would pick Jacob Reuven (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?127394-Jacob-Reuven-Warm-Up-Routine).

Cornelius Morris
Mar-13-2017, 4:18pm
Frank Wakefield. And then Jack Tottle every other day.

bratsche
Mar-13-2017, 5:18pm
It would have to be me, or in your own case you, if that was the only one you could listen to, why would you listen to anyone else.

Dave H

Yep, that sounds like a "trick question" to me... listening to "only one" would preclude anyone's ever playing again if their choice were anyone else, wouldn't it? ;)

bratsche

9lbShellhamer
Mar-13-2017, 5:32pm
I think what the OP really meant was ' who is your favourite mandolin player ? '

Dave H

I do think there are people who may choose someone other than their "favorite" player.

They're not mutually exclusive.

I would probably choose the player I can learn the most from and who has an extensive catalog.

I just wanted to see who's catalog I need to become reacquainted with, and there were good players listed who I am revisiting now.

Nathan Kellstadt
Mar-13-2017, 5:59pm

I actually took it the other way. Although for a lot of people, if they could only listen to one player for the rest of their lives, it would likely be their favorite player, there are those for whom the two are different. My favorite movie is 2001: A Space Odyssey, but if I could only watch one movie for the rest of my life, I'm going with Die Hard, no hesitation. When I (reluctantly) chose Jethro, I was thinking about how his music invariably takes me to a particularly happy place. However, I know better than trying to pick a "favorite" player. That's impossible (for myself anyway).

Jeramey cecil
Jun-29-2017, 4:37am
If we are talking about being able to listen to any album that the artist has played on. I would probably have to say Grisman also. He has brought together and played with so many other great artists in multiple genres and instruments.

Eric Platt
Jun-29-2017, 5:36am
Ralph Tuttila - mandolin player for Finn Hall. He's my main influence right now, as well as being a friend. In fact, it was working with him in a project to pass along Finnish music that got me to pick the mandolin up again after a number of years. And has helped me improve faster than I have at any other time playing the instrument.

And yes, I am familiar with most everyone on the list. It's just Ralph is the person who got me to do something with the mandolin again.

Close second would be Bob Douglas. Another local mandolin hero. And occasional performer on A Prairie Home Companion. Also a great person.

Dagger Gordon
Jun-29-2017, 5:38am
For great mandolin, but also getting the benefit of his singing, fiddling, guitar and bouzouki playing and fine groupwork I think you could do worse than Tim O'Brien.

Charlie Bernstein
Jun-29-2017, 8:26am
Me.

MikeZito
Jun-29-2017, 9:02am
I'll stick with my old friend, Bill Bolick of the Blue Sky Boys. Bill's style was so unique that Jethro Burns actually sought him out at one time - and if you're good enough to make Jethro come looking for you, you must be pretty special.

PiginaPen
Jun-29-2017, 9:25am
I guess I should listen to more Grisman. I was never a Dead Head but I listened to his version of Rain and Snow live and it seemed very liquored up and off key. Since, I have always avoided his music.

To answer the OP. Ricky Skaggs has the perfect blend of vocal and musical talent so he would be my choice...BUT if Vince Gill had more bluegrass to offer I'd lean his way. When he does bluegrass I feel like God is handing me a gift.

Charlie Bernstein
Jun-30-2017, 7:12am
I don't see how any answer is possible. . . .

For this boy, the answer isn't just possible, it's obvious. If I were stuck on a desert island or sentenced to life in solitary and could only listen to one musician, it would have to be me.

Even though I'm not a great musician, I'd lose my mind if I couldn't have an instrument to play.

Charlie Bernstein
Jun-30-2017, 7:23am
I guess I should listen to more Grisman. I was never a Dead Head but I listened to his version of Rain and Snow live and it seemed very liquored up and off key. Since, I have always avoided his music. . . .

Yeah, give him another chance. Live performances can swing either way. One show doesn't necessarily tell you much, no matter who the artist is. He might have been drunk when you heard him, but with Grisman, it's more likely that he had the flu. The show must go on.

I heard him at a festival in the late eighties, and he put on a memorable show. I didn't realize then that he was the mandolin player I'd been enjoying for years on "Friend of the Devil."

One thing that's nice about Grisman is that he's not locked into a genre. Whether he's playing bluegrass, jazz, or world music, he's one of the most sure-footed artists around. Just the fact that he's held his own with the likes of Stephan Grapelli is enough to suggest that he might be a worthwhile earful.

(In fact, if you can stand jazz, the live Grisman/Grapelli album would be a great place to start.)

mandolin breeze
Jun-30-2017, 8:44am
For me it's a no brainer . . . . (that said, I love and admire them all) Glad I don't have to do this for real, but if I did, the choice is easy for me.

red7flag
Jun-30-2017, 8:48am
I wrote initially with the idea of just listening. But, if listening included playing with, someone at close to the same playing level or a little above mine, and grow together playing together. Person would need a positive personality, willing to think outside the box and a team player.

Charlie Bernstein
Jul-01-2017, 1:47pm
I wrote initially with the idea of just listening. But, if listening included playing with, someone at close to the same playing level or a little above mine, and grow together playing together. Person would need a positive personality, willing to think outside the box and a team player.

Then you'd be listening to two players.

Box?

stevedenver
Jul-02-2017, 9:15am
The Stat Man.

Tradition, progressive, spiritual, humorous. One of my favorites. Old brooklyn and super string theory just are...unique, brilliant.

red7flag
Jul-03-2017, 9:01am
I see your interpretation. Lately, I mostly listen to effect my playing. With nobody to listen to, I would bore myself with my own playing and would probably drop my mandolin obsession. One of the things I love the most about music is the give and take playing with another player. Without that...not sure what's the point. Well, I guess listening, just taking, got me most of the way to where I am so... I would not be overthinking this would I?

Payton
Jul-03-2017, 9:26am
Don Rigsby, then Nathan Livers if Don were to call in sick one day.

Payton
Eastman md815v
Eastman md515

Bennett
Jul-04-2017, 1:58pm
For emotional expression, power, originality and strangeness, Yank Rachell gets my vote. The Sonny Sharrock of country blues mandolin.

brian-safran
Jul-04-2017, 3:29pm
I vote Caterina Lichtenberg.

Joey Anchors
Jul-04-2017, 5:55pm
Easily Chris Thile.

cayuga red
Jul-05-2017, 12:27pm
Let's not forget the great Buddy Merriam.