PDA

View Full Version : Grayson & Whittier

generankin
Jun-08-2005, 6:14pm
Does anyone have music or tabs for "I've Always Been A Rambler" by Grayson & Whittier? Or can steer me to them?

Thanks!

Gene Rankin

Loren Bailey
Jun-08-2005, 8:25pm
I wrote Thomas Sneed of the Reel Time Travellers a while back and asked him. #He said he used and alternate tuning (GDgd) but work it out around the F chord. #It took me a little bit but I finally worked out a reasonable version. #I kept it simple and only on the G and D strings. #on the G string I only play the C, B and open G. #on the the D the only notes I play are the F, G and open D. #I was not very good when I did it and it took about a day to get it down.

Loren

mingusb1
Jun-09-2005, 12:18pm
I sing a song in D minor called "Rambling Cowboy" I learned from a Don Edwards and Peter Rowan CD (a few years old). #I think it also has an alrenate mando tuning. #

When I saw the Reeltime Travelers and Thomas did that song you mention, I was thinking how the story was very similar, but the lyrics pretty different. #For example, the 1st line I do is:

My parents treated me tenderly, they had no boy but me

I think Thomas sings:

I've always been a rambler, my fortunes been quite hard

Maybe a good example of how OT music has evolved. #I've also heard the same (or similar) story referred to as "the girl I left behind".

Z

Loren Bailey
Jun-09-2005, 5:26pm
Wow, I've also been working on "The Girl I Left Behing Me". While they sound nothing alike, at least the versions I am doing, I'd love to get the words to GILBM and compare.

BTW there is a live Uncle Earl show on Bluegrassbox.com at Rocky Grass where they do an awesome version of it. Right in the middle of the song it starts pouring down rain and you hear a massive bolt of lightning strike near by. Really sets the mood for the song. Pretty cool.

Loren

Moose
Jun-10-2005, 9:53am
...interest'n, ain't it!!?? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

generankin
Jun-22-2005, 3:02pm
Wow, I've also been working on "The Girl I Left Behing Me". #While they sound nothing alike, at least the versions I am doing, I'd love to get the words to GILBM and compare.
[snip]

I sat down with the New Lost City Ramblers' CD, put it on 'repeat' and, after a while, got it down. #Mostly scale-wise, with a couple of accidentals. #The Ramblers play it a little more smoothly and in an easier key that G&W themselves do.

A Cheesehead