PDA

View Full Version : Any photos of installed pickups ?

Wesley
Jun-08-2005, 3:41pm
I'd love to see what your pickup looks like installed on your mandolin. Currently I have one of those McIntre feather pickups on mine. Everyone in my group likes the sound. Our soundman likes the sound, and our audience tells me they like the way it sounds. I don't. It's not terrible - I just think I can find something better.

What I do like about it is that you can't see the darn thing. The only thing that is visible is the jack inside the strap button at the base of the instrument. I wish all pickups were that hard to see. When I look at a mandolin I don't like to see a bunch of wires coming out of it. Call me crazy but that's just the way I am.

And yes we play plugged in enough so that I need to use a pickup. I know a mic would be better but it's just not practile all of the time. If nothing else I like to be able to use an electronic tuner on stage and tune up while our guitar player is telling banjo jokes.

I've heard great things about the Baggs system, Schertlers,and Fishman among others but I'd love to see what they look like sticking out of a nice "acoustic" instrument.

Thanks in advance.

b.pat
Jun-08-2005, 4:27pm
Wesley,

Doesn't seem to be any immediate response, so may I take a moment to ask what it is that you don't like about the feather ? I have one coming on a new custom and would really be interested in your opinion. I'm going to be playing thru a baggs para acoustic pre amp.

Tell me what you really think http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif
Thanks

B.Pat

Wesley
Jun-08-2005, 4:57pm
Don't get me wrong - it gets the job done. I'm using a Fishman preamp - we tweak it so that it sounds acceptable to me but I've always thought it sounded a little brash. Not as warm as I would like. Like I said - I'm the only one that is bothered by it. If I had a chance to play with it a lot more maybe I could find a better combination.

Wesley
Jun-08-2005, 5:04pm
One more good thing - I've NEVER had any feedback problems with it.