PDA

View Full Version : Taggart Mandolins

bribhoy
Mar-02-2017, 5:53am
Hi,

I've searched the forum for information on these mandolins, but there's not an awful lot out there, and nothing at all recently. I just wondered if anyone owned one of these and what were their thoughts on them as players. I'm looking at a mid-90s Taggart F5 at the moment and it's not cheap, but it sounds pretty nice.

Thanks
Bri

JEStanek
Mar-02-2017, 10:46am
Looks like he is still working. This Google (https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=taggart+mandolin&*)Search turned up a video from Jan 2016.

I've never played or seen one but the Taggart name rings a bell so he's been mentioned a bunch of times over my tenure on the Cafe.

Jamie

MikeEdgerton
Mar-02-2017, 10:52am
Every thread on the Cafe with the word Taggart in it can be found here (https://www.google.com/search?q=Taggart+site%3Amandolincafe.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8).

AlanN
Mar-02-2017, 10:52am
A guy had one at the Butch B. seminar in 1994. Good, hand-made F-5.

MandoDave1
Mar-02-2017, 11:49am
If it's the gentleman I believe it is, it's Bruce Taggart, based in southern Indiana. Several of his instruments are in display at Weed Patch Music in Nashville, Indiana, and I've played three or four. Very nice, well made, a little rich for my blood.

bribhoy
Mar-02-2017, 12:38pm
Dave - The instrument I'm looking at was indeed built by Bruce Taggart of Nashville Indiana.

Mike - I did have a good root around on the Cafe for information but found that most of the comments related to older instruments, from the 80s, or talked about Bruce starting to build mandolins again fairly recently. I was just hoping someone might have had experience of a 90s build that they could share.

Alan - Thanks for the feedback on the more recent mandolin.

Thanks all for taking the time to respond.
Bri

acousticphd
Mar-02-2017, 1:03pm
Every year, at the Breaking Up Winter Old-Time Gathering in Lebanon, TN, I see a guy with a Taggart A-5. Coincidentally, that gathering occurs this very weekend, so I expect to see it tomorrow!

It's the only Taggart I can recall seeing first-hand. It is a fine sounding mandolin that looks to be at least 20 yrs old. I will try to ask him about it and have a closer look.

Gary Hedrick
Mar-02-2017, 7:34pm
Well I went to high school with him...Bruce that is. He is a great fellow. From Nashville, indiana...about 5 miles from Bean Blossom. He has been making mandolins for many years. They are well built....sound great and are a solid investment. I have owned 2 of them over the years.

He had a chance to work on the January 12th 1923 Loar I owned before I bought it. Like many luthiers in the day he used that info to improve his product.

Gary Hedrick
Mar-02-2017, 8:08pm
http://guitars.com/inventory/mf8717-1981-d-bruce-taggart-f-style-mandolin

an '80's but gives you a general idea....

bribhoy
Mar-03-2017, 5:30am
Jeff - Enjoy the gathering and any thoughts on that A5 would be most welcome!

Gary - Nice to get some local colour, and always good to know that someone deemed Bruce skilled enough to work on a Loar. And thanks for the Gruhn link also.

I'm going to go and have another look and play at the Taggart tomorrow and will try to post some photos.

Bri

bribhoy
Mar-05-2017, 4:27pm
I promised some photos of this Taggart I've been eyeing up, and it turns out that the easiest way to photograph a mandolin is to buy it, bring it home, and phitograph it there. I played it for a while in the shop and MAS took hold. I am now th154599e proud owner of Taggart #78 F fom June '95.

I LOVE this instrument. 154596154596154597154598154598

Trying to add these pics using my phone and not entirely sure how it worked out. If it's awful,I will try again tomorrow from the computer. Thabks to those of you who provided information on Bruce and his works.

Bri

bribhoy
Mar-05-2017, 4:29pm
The actual instrument itself...

Gary Hedrick
Mar-07-2017, 4:09pm
Good looking instrument....and I would guess that it sounds quite nice also...