PDA

View Full Version : MAS Strikes Fast

Josh Levine
Feb-28-2017, 3:57pm
Uhoh... Looks like I am going to be the owner of a new Duff A5. I started getting the MAS sweats and shopping around. I reached out to Paul and he mentioned that he had a new A5 coming into Carter's. He also made sure to note that it is especially powerful with big round, fat tones and clear focus... that pushed me over the edge, so I called Carter's and put down a down payment. It should arrive in the next few weeks... It is the A in this picture.

http://www.duffmandolins.com/whats_on_bench.htm (http://www.duffmandolins.com/whats_on_bench.htm)

CES
Feb-28-2017, 4:27pm
Dude...that's awesome! Congratulations!! I'd like to take another step up in quality, but college tuition and taxes are beating me down this year :crying:

Thankfully, I've got some good mandos to play to tide me over...but it's not easy at all to wait...:mandosmiley:

T.D.Nydn
Feb-28-2017, 4:53pm
Cool looking back. .

FLATROCK HILL
Feb-28-2017, 4:58pm
Wow! Congrats...that's a beauty.
Been wondering why there have been no new Duff F5s at Carter Vintage for quite a while. Looks like a new batch is on the way. Well...a new batch minus one. :)

Josh Levine
Feb-28-2017, 5:23pm
Ya... I am pretty excited... Now for the wait... Guess I'll spend some time saying goodbye to my Pava while I wait.

mandotool
Feb-28-2017, 5:33pm
Wow! Congrats...that's a beauty.
Been wondering why there have been no new Duff F5s at Carter Vintage for quite a while. Looks like a new batch is on the way. Well...a new batch minus one. :)

They are selling like hotcakes is why..

DataNick
Feb-28-2017, 5:34pm
Josh,

You still have your Ellis?

Josh Levine
Feb-28-2017, 5:41pm
Josh,

You still have your Ellis?

Yessir. Thinking the Duff/Ellis 1-2 punch will be strong.

Timbofood
Feb-28-2017, 5:41pm
I am still waiting for everyone here to send Bill Halsey twenty bucks a piece and have him build me one, of course, I will still need to sell a kidney to make up the difference!
Maybe better I just let the dream die.

Folkmusician.com
Feb-28-2017, 7:11pm
Very nice!

pheffernan
Feb-28-2017, 7:29pm
Yessir. Thinking the Duff/Ellis 1-2 punch will be strong.

With Swananoa approaching, I think this course of action only makes sense. Besides, the Ellis and Pava were almost redundant coming from the same shop. And considering how much money you're saving by getting a Duff instead of a Gilchrist, it'd be foolish not to buy it. I only hope that this purchase doesn't preclude you from sampling a Kimble as well . . .

Mark Wilson
Feb-28-2017, 7:31pm
Congratulations!! It does strike fast.

Curious to hear your thoughts on how it compares to the Ellis. Tone/responsiveness and play-ability (flat vs the radius fret board). The last one they had sounded really sweet in the video clip they put up.

darrylicshon
Feb-28-2017, 7:31pm
Congratulations I'm saving for my upgrade

Josh Levine
Feb-28-2017, 9:27pm
With Swananoa approaching, I think this course of action only makes sense. Besides, the Ellis and Pava were almost redundant coming from the same shop. And considering how much money you're saving by getting a Duff instead of a Gilchrist, it'd be foolish not to buy it. I only hope that this purchase doesn't preclude you from sampling a Kimble as well . . .

Yes, I really did it for the children. (If I ever have any)

pheffernan
Feb-28-2017, 10:18pm
Yes, I really did it for the children. (If I ever have any)

But what if you have three, Josh?

Mandobar
Feb-28-2017, 10:21pm
The last Ellis A I played was nothing like the Pava I owned. Very powerful, with a strong voice right out of the gate.

Josh Levine
Feb-28-2017, 11:10pm
The last Ellis A I played was nothing like the Pava I owned. Very powerful, with a strong voice right out of the gate.

I think he was being facetious to help support my MAS induced decision in a comical way. But, yes the Ellis and Pava I have are very different. Both are quite powerful and loud. The Ellis is more focused and bassy. The Pava has more overtones.

Josh Levine
Mar-02-2017, 1:40pm
New pics up of this batch. She is looking good. Can't wait to put some dings in that varnish!

http://www.duffmandolins.com/whats_on_bench.htm

HonketyHank
Mar-02-2017, 2:44pm
You have saved a bunch by not buying a Gilchrist. I, in fact, saved a significant amount by not buying that Duff ahead of you. You know what that means -- together we can now afford the Gilchrist.

You make the order and I'll take delivery. How's that for teamwork?

Denny Gies
Mar-02-2017, 3:01pm
Way to go. You have found out there is no cure for MAS.

Bill McCall
Mar-02-2017, 4:09pm
I think there's another Red Diamond in his future. He's had that Ellis at least a year, probably used up all the good notes:)

Phil Goodson
Mar-02-2017, 4:36pm
I predict that you'll love the Duff.
At least that was my experience; I sold my Duff A5 last year only because scroll envy became so great that I had bought a Duff F (which I also love).:)

Josh Levine
Mar-02-2017, 6:21pm
I think there's another Red Diamond in his future. He's had that Ellis at least a year, probably used up all the good notes:)

We are almost going on our 2 year anniversary. She must like me.

Josh Levine
Mar-10-2017, 2:19pm
Tracking said it would be delivered today, but since it showed being in Japan last night, I thought that was not accurate. As expected has a clearance delay at customs in Oakland. I hope this does not take too long.:disbelief:

Josh Levine
Mar-22-2017, 9:47pm
Got my Duff A5. It is a powerful beast. Very loud clear tone. It is very focused. This is definitely the bluegrass axe is was searching for. Fit and Finish is very good, although not at the level of the Ellis workshop. Beautiful one piece birdseye back. Very classic loar look to it. This is going to be fun to get to know... Here is a little demo video with an original tune and On and On.
https://youtu.be/eCPlk46WQg0

DataNick
Mar-23-2017, 8:18am
Congrats Josh!

FLATROCK HILL
Mar-23-2017, 8:35am
It sounds like a Duff! May the two of you be happy together for many years.