PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky KM-1000 vs KM-1050

jurasicus
Feb-28-2017, 7:23am
Hello there! I'm looking for some advice about these two mandolins. I want to upgrade from my Oscar Schmidt OM40, but as I currently live in Russia, I don't have any chance to try different mandolins, we simply don't have a lot of these kind of instruments here. So my only chance is to buy one in the US, I have a friend who plans to visit in a couple of months and he agreed to bring it with him when he does.

I'm trying to choose between these two. From what I gather both are really good sounding mandolins, but the KM-1000 has a flat fretboard and a slightly thiner neck (1 5/64, according to sagamusic.com), the KM-1050 has a slightly radius fretborad and a thicker neck (1 1/8).

My current mandolin has a flat fretboard, but the width of the neck is closer (I think) to the KM-1050. It seems to me that a radius fretboard should be a more comfortable one to play.

So, has anyone compared these mandolins personally? Can you share some advice with me? I want to get it right for me, because obviously it would be very complicated to send it back if I'm not pleased with it.

There is an ad here on classifieds about a KM-1000 and the price is very, and I mean very nice. So I wanted to try and learn about how much difference do these specs (like the flatness of the fretboard and the width of the neck) really make. I have some time to wait for the right one, but I would gladly buy this one if the difference is not really that big.

Cheers!
Yuri

Eric C.
Feb-28-2017, 8:52am
One other thing that is different is the 1050 has a scooped fingerboard, and the 1000 doesn't. If there's a good deal on the 1000, I would get that.

The differences you listed and the one I listed are the only differences, both are made with good materials at their top-of-line shop.

FLATROCK HILL
Feb-28-2017, 8:53am
Hello Yun and welcome to the M.C. Forum! I really wish there was a good and perfect answer for you but there is not. I will tell you my experience and maybe it will help.

Like most of us, I started with a lower priced mandolin. For me, it was a KM-150. I liked it and it seemed comfortable to play with its flat fingerboard (fretboard) and a medium width nut. When I discovered that some of the other more expensive mandolins had radius fingerboard, I thought those must be better. I bought a nice Weber with radius board. It was different of course, and I liked the feel of the radius board. I still have the KM-150. Soon I realized that both boards were comfortable in their own way. Since that time I have owned many mandolins, some with narrow necks and narrow nut-width, some with wider nuts. Some with flat boards and some with varying degrees of radius. I find that it may take a few moments, but I can adapt to any of them.*

So, in my humble opinion, if you don't have any physical limitations/issues that dictate which style/width is best, you can be happy with either.

I know this is not the definitive answer you were looking for but maybe it will ease your mind a bit. Good luck and safe travels for your friend and the 'cargo' whatever it may be.

*I don't mean to imply that I can play them all with great skill. I can play them all with equal comfort and ineptitude.

Bill Kammerzell
Feb-28-2017, 10:29am
Hello there! I'm looking for some advice about these two mandolins. I want to upgrade from my Oscar Schmidt OM40, but as I currently live in Russia, I don't have any chance to try different mandolins, we simply don't have a lot of these kind of instruments here. So my only chance is to buy one in the US, I have a friend who plans to visit in a couple of months and he agreed to bring it with him when he does.

I'm trying to choose between these two. From what I gather both are really good sounding mandolins, but the KM-1000 has a flat fretboard and a slightly thiner neck (1 5/64, according to sagamusic.com), the KM-1050 has a slightly radius fretborad and a thicker neck (1 1/8).

My current mandolin has a flat fretboard, but the width of the neck is closer (I think) to the KM-1050. It seems to me that a radius fretboard should be a more comfortable one to play.

So, has anyone compared these mandolins personally? Can you share some advice with me? I want to get it right for me, because obviously it would be very complicated to send it back if I'm not pleased with it.

There is an ad here on classifieds about a KM-1000 and the price is very, and I mean very nice. So I wanted to try and learn about how much difference do these specs (like the flatness of the fretboard and the width of the neck) really make. I have some time to wait for the right one, but I would gladly buy this one if the difference is not really that big.

Cheers!
Yuri

My own personal preference runs to radius boards and 1 1/8 to 1 3/16 nuts. That's what is comfortable for me and more easily playable. All other things being equal I would personally prefer the 1050.

Mandoplumb
Feb-28-2017, 11:23am
If you have only played flat you should try a radius before buying. I know I'm in the minority but I don't like radius, you may not either

Northwest Steve
Feb-28-2017, 5:23pm
Personally I would opt for the 1050. I have owned one and it was a great mandolin, I have played one other and it was right there with it. I had a 950 ( A model ) that I liked a lot, it was very nice. But a notch below the 1050's in sound I played and I am not sure why? I owned a 900 (the little sister to the 1000), it was ok but I preferred the 950 and 1050's over it. It had a 1 1/16" nut with and a flat fretboard. The was neck and flat fretboard were fine but I did not like the really small frets (like the teen's Gibson's) and I prefer medium sized frets over the jumbo/banjo frets. I currently have a Flatiron Festival F5 and it has medium frets, a soft V neck and a 1 1/8" nut. It is very comfortable to play and fits my hand perfectly. Just my 2 cents but the 1050's are really good. There is currently one in the classifieds if you could find someone to hold onto it until your friend comes over.

Stephen Perry
Mar-02-2017, 7:22am
I like the 1050 better. But give me 5 minutes and I forget I'm playing the 1000.

Andrew B. Carlson
Mar-02-2017, 11:41am
I've got a great KM-1000, but I'd love to try a 1050. I may even trade, but there aren't very many people who would do that trade.

Mike Arakelian
Mar-02-2017, 4:39pm
Hello Yuri,

IMO both the KM1000 and KM1050 are good mandolins and I suspect that you would be happy with either one. I have two mandolins...one with a flat board and one with a radius, and am very comfortable going back and forth from one to the other. One has a slightly narrower nut than the other, and again, I find it very easy to go from one to the other. The one difference between the two Kentuckys that would make a difference to me is the scooped extension on the 1050. Personally, I really do not like frets on the extension as they produce an unpleasant clicking sound from the pick hitting the frets. I never play up that high on the board anyway. For that reason alone, I would prefer to go with the 1050. Good luck!